HD Foxsat freesat recorder

Nebulous

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Lidl dish + set-top box + Compro S350 pci card.
My Location
Scotland
Hi folks

a bit late, but I'm just wondering how easy the Foxsat box is to use in non-Freesat mode?

My father has a freesat from Sky set-up and it has been a bit dodgy. Dish is rusty, there are poor connections in the cable and his TV is and old CRT one. He has decided to start again and he has bought a new Freesat installation, a Foxsat box and a LCD TV.

Some of the channels he watches on Sky are not available on the Freesat EPG. I'm beginning to worry that it will unnecessarily complicate things for him, and/or frustrate him.

Will it be possible to add them to a 'favourites' list and switch them like changing channels, or will he have to switch in and out of Freesat mode first? What about recording them? If he does not have the Freesat EPG is setting the timer reasonably straight-forward?

Thanks

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Although I also have an HDR I haven't yet used the non-Freesat mode so this info is not first hand. I believe it to be reputable though.

Switching to non-Freesat - not sure but I think it's a combination of keypresses on the coloured buttons - not particularly convenient to go back and forth if it is.

You can add in extra FTA channels, such as $ly News and Radio Caroline, innon-Freesat but that is where you have to go to view/listen. They are not available in Freesat mode. I also believe that you can't set recordings in non-Freesat mode (because there's no EPG I suppose). TBH I'm not even sure you CAN record in non-Freesat mode.

Even if recording works in non-Freesat mode any encrypted channels, such as $ly 1 etc, are forever beyond reach.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
As far as I can recall, the newest version of the firmware for this box prevents you switching between both modes, without carrying out a channel re-scan each time.

In non-Freesat mode this can take some 10-15 minutes on a fixed 28E system, but trebles the number of channels available to about 350 (a lot of them are rubbish though).

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Not so, CH (Fortunately!)

On the Foxsat (both non-PVR and PVR), any non-freesat mode Channels remain stored until either Factory Reset or manual intervention.

Nebulous

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Thanks guys - the channels are religious ones available on FTA. I can get all the ones he wants on my Lidl Silverline box. (Not that I want to, mind you!)

So let me get this straight then. He will be able to watch the channels he wants. but only after coming out of Freesat mode using a series of key presses on the remote control. Once out he will be able to scan and save channels for future use. Recording could be difficult, and might be restricted to record now rather than set the timer. Is that about it?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
In a word, yes!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Tivù said:
In a word, yes!

So, in a word, the secret code to do this is ?

PeeBee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax foxsat HDR
Standard Sky dish
My Location
South of the UK
On mine I have to go through the Menu set up to switch between Freesat mode an dnon Freesat Mode. I am working with an ex-Sky dish and teh channels on the non-Freesat mode are nothing to cause me to want to go there very often and so I haven't bothered to see how to record in non-Freesat mode.

Hope that helps (a bit)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Indeed. The "Secret Code" is only for use with non-Freesat Channels on other Satellites and, as you say, for non-Freesat on 28E it's just a simple Menu driven operation.

Nebulous

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Thanks folks - particularly Tivu. The thanks option seems to have disappeared in the new website, although I like the design. Edit What am I talking about? I could have sworn it wasn't there yesterday!

He gets installation on the 14th, so we'll just have to try it and see. I have suggested that he asks the installer to tune in the non-freesat channels as well, but we'll see whether that works.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well have a look at this Wiki

_http://foxsat.wikispaces.com/

It was written for the non-PVR, but the Freesat/non-Freesat stuff is exactly the same. The printed Manual is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of the PVR regarding Recording, but do know that although it could eventually be made to operate in a user friendly way for non-freesat (including other Satellites) that Humax do not consider it a priority. So don't hold your breath!

CaptainGlassback

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Humax was a disaster, (from June 09), until the software update of Dec 09. Missed a lot of recordings for example. Things have picked up since. It is easy to go to non Freesat but I would not want to be forever zapping between Freesat and non Freesat channels. I haven't said 'how to' as I have forgotten but it was easy. I only use it 100% to watch Freesat recordings to skip ads and never live hence being vague. I would recommend the Foxsat now that they seem to have ironed out a few bugs.