HD Reception in Mallorca

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5 m dish roof mounted with a single LMB
My Location
Mallorca
I have a 1.4 x 1.2 parabolic dish, roof mounted, pointed at 28.2E and Technomate TM-5400 CI+ USB decoder (I think the LNB is probably a generic model but I can not tell what it is because the lables have faded)

When I look at the EPG I can see that it shows HD un-scrambled channels but obviousley doesn't decode them because it is not the HD version of the box.

My question is does anybody have any experience of recieving HD in Mallorca? If I bought the TM-5400HD box would I have to change the LNB as well? Would the dish be satifactory at 1.4 m? (I am actually thinking of getting a dual LNB because at the moment we can not record anything as we only have the one decoder; any suggestions of a good LNB, INVERTO Black ULTRA Twin LNB?)

A

archive10

Sorry, don't live in Mallorca, but I have these general observations:
The HD channels are marginally more sensitive to signal quality. But if you see the SD channels without probs, chances are very high that you should get the HD ones as well.
There are no specific "HD-LNBs". It all a matter of how the box interprets the signal. You do not need to change the LNB just because you want to ecode HD signals.
So don't upgrade unless you have to (sginal is borderline or similar). But if you do, do get one of the Inverto Black Ultras - they've proven good for fringe reception.

st1

Phoenixx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sat hobby
My Location
Netherlands
there are 2 option`s
- buy an inverto black ultra lnb
- buy an good sensitive receiver like clarctech blindscan
or openbox s 10 HD
best tuner have
[h=1]Octagon SF-1018 HD Alliance ;)[/h]

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5 m dish roof mounted with a single LMB
My Location
Mallorca
Thanks for the input st1, I will look to getting an HD decoder and have a play; it will be a nice new project even if I don't pull in the channels. (I see you are at the oposite end od Europe are you on fringe reception there?)

By the way do you have any knowledge of TECHNOMATE TM-2 HIGH-GAIN GOLD 0.1dB TWIN LNB as this is the only one I have seen that has an 0.1dB rateing?

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
steve.robocop.barry said:
By the way do you have any knowledge of TECHNOMATE TM-2 HIGH-GAIN GOLD 0.1dB TWIN LNB as this is the only one I have seen that has an 0.1dB rateing?

I can't comment on that particular LNB but don't pay too much attention to the dB ratings, it's mainly a marketing ploy to make the LNB sound good. In an ideal world LNBs would be rated by their maximum noise figure rather than the average they seem to quote these days.

A

archive10

Thanks for the input st1, I will look to getting an HD decoder and have a play; it will be a nice new project even if I don't pull in the channels. (I see you are at the oposite end od Europe are you on fringe reception there?)

Yes, fringe indeed. Although Astra 1N currently makes my CM180 slightly overkill. When 2F goes operational it may turn into a nice bird-bath...
No seriously, spain etc enjoys the fact that satellites over equator at 28.8E throws an oval'ish spot on the planet surface which means that the signal goes much further south than east. So even in little DK, we're on the fringes...

Nope, but as Timo says in his post, the claims of noise-levels are irelevant to the actual performance for fringe-receptions (and for anyone else for that matter). It's marketing-speak. You can have 0.4dB LNBs giving a much cleaner channel separation than 0.1 dB LNBs.
The Invertos have proven to be very good performers, but you are likely to get very far with any fairly recent gear.