HD signals with Dragon CAM

Hitchcock

My Satellite Setup
My Location
OK, this may sound naive, but can the Dragon CAM also decrypt the new High Def signals from $ky (using a valid subscription card, of course)?

I know it's a different transport stream, i.e. DVB-S2/MPEG 4 instead of DVB-S/MPEG 2, but I thought maybe the encryption layer (N*S Video*uard) would be the same (I think I read somewhere on the DigitalSpy or AV forums that people will be able to continue to use their existing viewing cards in their new $ky HD boxes) ...

And what about other HD services out there (e.g. Premiere)? Can the Dragon also decrypt those?

Jaffer

My Satellite Setup
Samsung A300W with component output
Hotbird & Astra2
My Location
South East England
Your receiver or set-top-box should have the capability to handle HD signals. The CAMs and cards have nothing to do with signals, I believe.

I have the Humax PR-HD1000 (as per Premiere HD but no subscription) plus a Dragon CAM, so I am definitely interested in what can be achieved. I also have a motorised dish, so not dependent on Astra 2 etc.

Any "pointers" to decoding other HD sources greatly appreciated!

TIA

Tony B

tigertimtim

My Satellite Setup
1500 Technomate, 1m Gibertini dish, Smart 0.2 Titanium lnb
My Location
Hull
hi tony, have you looked at lyngsat ? they list what high def stuff can be picked up on varoius sats, same with kingofsat .:)
as for trying 4.2.2 feeds look on satelliweb

tigertimtim said:
hi tony, have you looked at lyngsat ? they list what high def stuff can be picked up on varoius sats, same with kingofsat .:)
as for trying 4.2.2 feeds look on satelliweb
Oh, yes - I have spent many happy hours trawling through the info on lyngsat, but, as far as I can tell, the only encrypted HD stuff is on Premiere, Euro 1080/HD1/HD2, and TPS HD. I really would like to see Premiere HD, less worried about HD1/HD2 especially as their subscription is quite cheap too - Euro 120 for 5 years, whereas Premiere is a lot more and not officially available in the UK.

Has anyone managed to get into an encrypted HD channel yet (without the appropriate card)?

Hitchcock

My Satellite Setup
My Location
Jaffer said:
Your receiver or set-top-box should have the capability to handle HD signals. The CAMs and cards have nothing to do with signals, I believe.
What you're saying then is that the encryption itself is not tied to any specific transmission format (DVB-S, DVB-S2, DSS, MPEG 2, MPEG 4, 720x576@25fps, 1920x1080@25fps and so forth), so whether a signal is SD or HD or any other resolution or format is irrelevant to the decyphering of a signal?

So, for example, a $ky card inside a normal Dragon CAM inside a Humax PR-HD1000 (High Def receiver), would have no problem decrypting the new $ky HD signals (e.g. Discovery HD, Nat Geo HD) as well the normal $ky SD signals?

tigertimtim

My Satellite Setup
1500 Technomate, 1m Gibertini dish, Smart 0.2 Titanium lnb
My Location
Hull
tony@ problem is at the moment with not many high def channels yet is that there isnt a hack for any yet,
preimere's high def channels are a different encryption system to the normal sd channels on preimere which are open,
same with tps when they fully start there high def channels , there are going to be in viacess 2.6 which isnt cracked, we will only know fully what does what untill some high def channels become hacked.
i would imagine a dragon cam would do the job as its only dealing with the encryption side of things, as long as you have a mpeg 4 reciever of course,
its all exciting stuff , cant wait till i get my mpeg 4 reciever , i think i will wait for technomates release in september as the patches (to open things) will work on them. :)