HD upgrade

elldallan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metre dish, single LNB 23.5, skylink subscription
My Location
Rainham , Kent
A few questions I hope someone can answer for me?

I currently have an Amiko SSD-550 SCX with a CS link card both sent from a friend in Slovakia to watch Slovak tv on Astra 23.5B ( Markiza, JoJ and the like)

I am looking to upgrade to an HD box due to better tv. Here is are my queries

Should I purchase an Amiko Alien SHD 8900 or the 8100 ( I will not be using the apps on the 8900 just watching tv )

Will I need to do anything to the box in the way of software upgrade to be able to read the card? or just plug and play?

If I need to do anything to box where will I find what I need and will it be easy to do? (e.g which bit of software to use and how)

All help appreciated

Rob

A nonymous

Reaction score
I myself would buy a MIPS based box like the Dreambox 800HD or a DM800 Clone. Support for the Dreambox is probably the best you can get from the selection of the other receivers available.

You also have a huge amount of images available for DM800HD, probably more than any other receiver, except maybe the DM800Se.

If you just want something for just watching TV without the whistle and bells then maybe the Amiko 8100 would be your best bet, as all you would have to do is insert the card and scan the satellite. Simples.

Nano

elldallan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rainham , Kent
Nano

I was informed by a shop selling the 8100 that i would need to upgrade the software for the card reader to accept my cslink card ? are they right or wrong do you know

A nonymous

Reaction score
I have no idea my friend. I have no experience with that model of receiver. All i know is in standard form it only reads a Conax card, although most receivers can be patched these days to read almost anything.

You may be better off with an ALMA S-2100 HD receiver as they are already Irdeto Embedded and approved by Skylink. There are a lot of sellers on ebay that state they are OK for SkyLink/CSLink.

Nano

elldallan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rainham , Kent
One last thing to add

Is it ok to just get a DVB box or should I look at a DVB and DVB-S2 ??

is it a real need or requirement ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are looking for High Definition, then you require DVBS2.

elldallan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rainham , Kent