HDMI Picture problems

kevwinkley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate Rcvr
Diseqc HH Motor
My Location
Altrincham S/Mancs
Sky HD was installed on saturday (whilst I was out I add , my wife dealt with it - hence the problem I have now)

I have a Panasonic TH42PH10 Display with a TY FB10HMD dual HDMI input board.

I have no sky visible on HDMI, the installer left the box set up and ran on saturday.

I get the "Updating System Software" message coming through on HDMI, and the "SKY+HD is Starting" message on boot up, but no full screen HDMI picture. Another spanner in the works, when I enter the settings menu the Mini TV picture shows via HDMI, but with no sound and the rest of the screen is black...

Any clues anyone? or do I have to endure waiting for an engineer?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
You could try reversing the HDMI cable and maybe unplugging the box for a few minutes, but I feel that is your lot without calling anyone back

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I'm not familiar with Panasonic items but am I correct in assuming that it's not a TV? It seems to be just a large monitor (in effect) with a separate box to supply the picture to it?

Is there any chance of connecting the whole lot up with a scart lead to see if that sorts things out (temporarily!) - or at least you get a more meaningful error message.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
OK, just done a search and I can see that scart is not a option. Looking at _http://en.kioskea.net/guide/details/954266-panasonic-viera-th-42ph10-silver the specification says "HD-Ready No" so possibly there's a hardware incompatibility problem here.

Did you buy the display and input board at the same time from the same place? If so, did the vendor promise it would work?

kevwinkley

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate Rcvr
Diseqc HH Motor
My Location
Altrincham S/Mancs
Paul & All,
I work for a Home Automation company and have installed many of these pro display plasma panels into homes with central AV distribution systems, with no problems, the HDMI is usually routed via an amp/AV processor though and not usually direct from the SKY HD box. I have since tried another SKY HD box off a friend on my panel and this worked. I also tried my box on an LG panel in the office that I know works fine with SKY HD and got the same problems I experienced at home. SO I guess the Box is at fault. I have a composite input card in the panel too so Scart is an option, and that's the way I'm watching until the engineer returns with another box on Saturday (He left me is mobile number after seeing what I did for a living - so I bypasssed Sky's fault repair dept!) Thanks for taking the time to reply fellas, I'll keep you posted once the engineer has called on Saturday!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
It's an interesting job you have there!

My only quibble would be that, at the price this sort of setup no doubt costs, the plasma TV is not able to natively display 1080i and will have to downscale. I know from watching a friend's 42" plasma TV how the HD channels from his $ly HD box don't look that much better than SD compared to my 1080i Philips.