HELP!! Can't get USALS setup to work

goldtar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Just new to this and bought a TM600
My Location
UK
I followed sattelitemans instructions - I sent motor to 5W then used sat finder signal on TM600 to adjust dish perfectly to 5W. I then entered USALS details (this is where I went wrong before - I entered the USALS coordinates too early). The dish now ties to move to other sattelites but moves past them!

I still have a problem - Satteliteman suggested that the motor should then move by approx 1.5 degrees. The motor definately does not move.

So, have I done everting correctly? Have I missed something? :confused

Thanks again.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
You're experiencing the same type of thing I did, you think you've done it all correct, and the bl**dy thing still doesn't go where it's supposed to.When you think you have exhausted all possibilities, move on to Diseqc 1.2, its quicker in the longer run, LOL.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
goldtar said:
I sent motor to 5W then used sat finder signal on TM600 to adjust dish perfectly to 5W. I then entered USALS details (this is where I went wrong before - I entered the USALS coordinates too early). The dish now ties to move to other sattelites but moves past them!

Thanks again.

Take Robbo's advice.

The general guide would be...re USALs: First send to zero, input USALs and then drive to 5W.

didineedthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream Box DM800 / Vu+ Duo
My Location
UK
Hi All,
been having a nightmare trying to set up usals,
i am using a TM2600 motor on a TD88 dish, my pole and mount is bang on level, cheched all sides with a level and also dropped a plumb line down the center of the ploe and it confirms it is level.

i think i am having the same issues as goldtar is having, i have read every tutorial i can find about installing a motorised dish using usals
i am entering my details when i flash the image during set up, by the sound of it i am entering them too soon.
my Latitude: 54.0965° and Longitude: -0.1848°
i enter 54.1n and 0.2w for my usals details in my vu+ duo settings as i read you need to round up to the nearest whole number, is this correct ?

i mounted the dish angle @ 22.4 degrees / 30 degrees minus declination angle 7.6 degrees
my motor elevation angle is set on 55 degrees and is set to 0

i point everything south and then tighten up, (i got the true south direction from the dishpointer calculator,) the motor angle is set to 0 (zero ) i then swing the dish and find thaw 0.8w my satcatcher Digipro iiis confirms i am on thor 0.8w adjust for optimal signal strenght and the tighten up. then i try to send the dish to Astra 28.2 degrees but it doesnt find the correct location. can some one please tell me how to sort this out please.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Is it just Astra2 as you may not be tracking properly ?

didineedthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
hi, thanks for your prompt reply, i think it is every satelitte that is not being tracked correct, i have the motorised dish set directly above my sly minidish and the angles are no were near the same.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
When you say your motor Elevation angle is set to 55 degrees, is that the Elevation setting or Latitude? Your Elevation setting should be 35 degrees, which would read 55 degrees on the latitude scale.

When you find Thor, do you scan the satellite to check that it is indeed Thor and do you send the motor to Thor first using USaLS?

didineedthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
hi,
thanks for the reply,
hi yes sorry it reads 55 on the latitude scale
i cant find thor using Usals i have to locate it manually with my meter.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What you do is send your dish to your nearest due South satellite (Thor in your case), then using the elevation adjustment of the dish and swinging the whole assembly on the mast, find Thor using your meter. Once found, then lock up the dish and the other satellites should fall into place. This method if carried out by the letter is near infallible.

didineedthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
What you do is send your dish to your nearest due South satellite,
just to get this clear, i send my dish via motor to thor 0.8w" using Usals ?

then using the elevation adjustment of the dish and swinging the whole assembly on the mast,
do you mean the bracket that connects the dish to the pole ? swing the dish round to find thaw using my meter ?

find Thor using your meter. Once found, then lock up the dish and the other satellites should fall into place. This method if carried out by the letter is near infallible.
this part i understand lol.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, use USaLS to send to Thor, it accounts for the difference between your true South and the location of Thor. The bracket that connects the dish to the motor stub, the dish elevation bracket (called declination) is the one to adjust, the motor elevation bracket should stay at your latitude.

didineedthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks again for your reply.

sorry but it still not clear to me.so i need to

1. point my dish and motor due south then tighten it up
2. use Usals to find thor 0.8w
3. then do either a ?or b ? (this is what is confusing me i think )
(a) loosen the bracket that connects the dish to the motor stub to move my dish and find thor with my meter ,then tighten up?
(b) or do i leave this tightened up and slacken the bracked on the scaffold pole to move the dish and motor to find thor with my meter then tighten up ?

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I don't know if I'm misunderstanding you but....

Don't move the actual dish bracket on the motor stub. This should be centered on the faint line that marks the centre of the stub. When the motor is set at 0° the motor and dish should be in line. So...

With the motor on 0°, move the dish/motor assembly to due south. Tighten up on your mount but leave enough slack so you can align it reasonably easily.
With USALS send the dish to Thor.
Then with your meter attached and using small movements peak up the dish by aligning the dish/motor left and right and altering the dish elevation until you have the best possible signal.
Check that you actually have found Thor, if so try for another satellite and check that it's tracking the arc east and west.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Yes, reference the motor, input your coordinates on the receiver and then send to 1W and make alignment. Have you also read over the setup guides?

didineedthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
hi , yes i have read every tutorial i can find,
i set everything up in a straight line pointing due south, i then sent the dish to thor 0.8w using usals i then find thor and tune in with my sat meter, good quality around 75% signal around 89%, i then tighten up and re check with the meter again,
i then go to the box and use the sat finder from the menu set up, but it is not showing any signal or strength on thor 0.8w

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Make sure your using an active transponder to check with.

11.325H, 24500, 7/8

didineedthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
hi, yes i have tried that i have scanned the complete satelite with no sucess

i have been checking the setting options in my digipro iiis meter, i have 3 option

unit:dBmV
unit:dBn
unit:dBuV
DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS SHOULD BE SET TO ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
In which case your meter is identifying the wrong satellite.

didineedthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
yes this is what i thought, thor is pre set in the satellite meters menu
i have 0.8w thor set fta
and 0.8w thor VH

Az: -0.7
EL: 28.3
PO: -0/4

didineedthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Right then something to smile about at last.
i have managed to locate thor 0.8 with the sat box and the sat finder meter,
my setup is still the same, i still did everything as i was doing for the last 2 days
but this time in the box settings for my configuration i changed the longitude from -0.1853 w to 359.814w and "Bobs your uncle" everything lined up as it should do.
This is my set up incase anyone else runs into the problems.

Configuration Mode simple
Mode positioner
Longitude 359.814
West
Latitude 054.096
North

scanning in satellites now with no problems as yet .