Help! How do i change satellites?

KINGMUZZAUK

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

I am currently on 28.8East i think (english channels) and i want to change satellites so i can pick up tellytrack which is on eurostar 1 @45.0 EAST. Do i just move my satellite dish to this angle and retune or is it more technical?

I'm sure yopu can help this novice.

Thanks in advance

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
First you need to check if you can receive the satellite in your area with the size of dish that you are planning to use. The satellite footprint gives you an idea of how strong the signal is for different parts of Europe: http://www.loralskynet.com/fleet/euro_star1/es1ft_us.asp.html

Secondly you need to estimate/calculate the elevation (angle above the horizon) and azimuth (approximate compass bearing) for your location. You need to know the approximate longitude and latitude for where you live: you can get this information from a good map but you can probably find it on Internet if you hunt for a nearby airport or bigger town. You can get some free software on the Swedish Microwave site that does the calculation.

The azimuth and elevation should be used to check that you have an unobstructed view of the satellite from where your dish is positioned. After that it is just a matter of turning the dish to roughly the right direction and angle and hunting for the desired channel. Most satellite receivers can display the signal strength and quality level, so you just adjust the dish to maximise this. You will also need to adjust the LNB skew by rotating the LNB body in its mounting collar.

If I were you, I would mark the original position of the dish (e.g. with a fine scratch on the supports and movable brackets) so that it is easier to find the original position for Sky.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are using a Sky Digibox you won't be able to receive it, the symbol rate is not catered for by the digibox.

If you are using another receiver and you are in the UK, then you will need to have a fairly clear horizon in that direction, it is pretty low, the minidish will appear to be pointing downwards.

KINGMUZZAUK

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks for all advice. So where can i get a motorised dish from and a reciever that could pick up this & other satellites? Are they expensive if so roughly how much. Which one would you reccomend. Thanks