Help Me Get Ready For The new Season......

Mr.BlueIce

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
pc
My Location
Liverpool England
I'm a big Liverpool fan, and want to see as many games as possible, so I've decided to pursue the idea of getting myself a satellite dish, a reciever, and a sports card.

But Then there's these dbox things I've been looking at on ebay.

I am stuck in a dilemma right now because I'm not sure which step to take next.

As a new sky customer, I am eligible for all the sports channels etc for £15 p/m for the first 6 months. Then I can do whatever.

However, I don't want to tie myself to a 12 month contract without first knowing what I should do. So here are my questions.

Firstly, with regards to these boxes, can I just ask what the difference is between a replay box, eurovox, technomate, nokia/sagem etc. I mean, do they all do pretty much the same thing, or is one more recommended/stable/better quality etc than the rest. Bare in mind, I am only really after an entry level set up just to get all the channels, unless there's reason to consider something better.

Check this one out and see what you think: ebay Item number: 230025582916

Any good or not?

And Am I right in thinking that if I was to get one of these boxes, I'd need a minimum sky/cable contract anyway?

With regards to the security of using the boxes to get all channels, AND THIS IS ARGUABLY MY MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION, Just how detectable are they? And would you recommend getting one to use with sky or cable? eg. which is more likely to go unnoticed by the provider, or is there no difference?

And Would I be able to use one of these boxes in conjunction with a 110cm dish to receive art sports & al jazeera etc, or would I need a seperate system to do that?

Any links to the above questions where I can find a specific answer would be much appreciated, as would a direct answer from anyone out there.

But I also want to know what a recommended general all round setup would be.

I was thinking along the lines of - one of the above boxes, plus a dish and reciever to get the art sports/jazeera etc. What do you think?

Also, would I need a motor to move/position the satellite to recieve all the football channels? if so, does that come with the dish? I've also heard about lnb's, how important are they to the setup? I mean, what is good enough to get me what I want?.

Put simply, what is a good entry level setup for someone wanting to get all subscription channels, plus all the football?

What exactly would I need to get started?

Your help is much much much appreciated. Believe me.

UPS1950

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate1500ci super with 78cm dish fixed on Hotbird
My Location
Wirral
I have a technomate 1500CI super receiver (patched) which i bought off ebay. I also have a 78cm dish and 0.2db LNB, also from ebay. My dish is lashed onto a cement mixer stand ( i kid you not), and i can easily pick up hotbird at 13 degrees. My Art card was also an ebay buy, and after some basic mistakes (putting the card in up-side down), now works fine. If you intend to go this route, remember your dish from sky will not be pointed to Hotbird, and if you re-align it i don't think it will be good enough to pick up a decent signal. Buy a cheap in-line satellite finder and a compass (my compass is a Maxview version which shows approx. positions for Astra and Hotbird). The Technomate receiver is a good entry level machine that can be "up-graded" easily via patches to open some scrambled channels, but bear in mind that it's not strictly legal to watch something you haven't paid for, and you must look out for patch up-grades when they come along. To be able to up-grade a patch, a PC or laptop will be required with access to the internet and a serial or USB port. With the USB port you will also require a USB to serial converter. The cable that links between computer and receiver is called a null modem cable. If you visit alsat.co.uk all will be explained once you join.

PS I hope to watch the derby this afternoon on the above set-up!

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Hi Mr.BlueIce,
if you want to see all Liverpool games I'm afraid S*y isn't enough, as they are not allowed to show Saturday 3PM kick offs, the only way is to get a full ART subscription, which seems to show every Premiership game.
A digibox is of no real use, as a multi satellite receiver, as it is specifically designed for S*y, you can add other channels but the memory doesn't hold them and the functionality is poor.
As for security, I'm not sure what you mean, under the new planning regulations you are allowed a 1M dish, on your house, without planning permission, and you are not doing anything illegal, unless you are going to show the games in a public arena, and even the law on that is a grey area.
If you want to make the full use, of this hobby, then you may want to upgrade to a motorised dish, but this is not essential, a 90cm - 1M dish, pointed at Hotbird, 13E, with a monoblock LNB, (LNB with 2 feeds set 6 degrees apart designed to pick up 13 + 19E), to receive Astra 1, and hotbird, will give you plenty of choice to begin with.
As for receivers, the choice is too varied, to go into, but the Technomate 1500 is a good starting receiver with lots of functionality for the price.
If you have a read around the forum, particularly the FAQ's and How to section, then this should provide information to point you in the right direction.
Please post back, after reading, with any other questions.
Best wishes
Mickha

Mr.BlueIce

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
pc
My Location
Liverpool England
Thanks very much for the help.

Can I just ask what an `in-line satellite finder` is, and how I'd incorporate it into the system?

I also noticed neither of you picked up on my question about the replay box. Is this because I wouldn't need it if I installed my own satellite system?
In other words, would I be able to get all the sky channels anyway?

If not, would you recommend getting one of the boxes I mentioned above, aswell as my dish, receiver, and art/al jazeera sports package?

Mickha, when you say there's no secuity issue, do you mean so long as you are not receiving sky subscription channels? And can I get al jazeera with the setup explained above?

Thanks again.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not sure whether you think that you can receive the Sky package for nothing with a replay box, but you can't, you need a Sky digibox and a subscription card, we don't discuss cable here, so can'y answer that.

An inline satfinder, simply aids in the initial setup of the dish, once the satellite position is located, it is removed.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
n-line satellite finder is a meter to find and align a satellite dish up

what is this replay box you speak of as you cant get sky with some kind of box as its too secure

morky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm satcatcher dish, technomate 1500.
My Location
merseyside
ive just been told by somebody in the business of selling these things to buy a voyager instead of technomate 1500.

should i listen to him and pay the £117?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I've never heard of the Voyager, so not sure how well it is supported.

It is the unofficial software support which makes the difference on how good a receiver is going to be, hence why the Technomate and Dreambox, among others are so popular.

morky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
merseyside
thanks mate.

if this fella has told me to avoid the technomate and said he wouldnt go anywhere near it, im pretty concerned about handing over any money to him now seeing as they are so popular.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I personally don't think that the Technomates are as great as they are hyped up to be, but having said that, they are a good reliable receiver and best of all, have excellent unofficial software support. You can't go too far wronmg in getting one.

Just found some details on the Satcatcher Voyager and whilst it looks like a nice receiver, you may struggle on new patched software, as I haven't seen any about.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I think you've answered your own question about the "dealer"... He may be looking for repeat revenue; if you buy a Dreambox or Technomate you won't need him again :)

morky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
merseyside
im about to 'buy it now' this item 220023909489 on a popular online auction website. thank you for all your help yet again lads. i just need to find out which lnb i need now and im up and running.

:p

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Interesting spelling in that auction.....

morky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
merseyside
hmmm. youve obviously seen something that i cant see.

any clues?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Nothing more than his spelling is apalling.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Appauling !!!

L.:D
:-smallmam

morky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
merseyside
sorted. just been elsewhere online to buy a technomate 1500 ci super and lnb mci blueline.

now i just need to find out who lancelot is.

something smells fishy here.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
L is one of our mods and has no axe to grind, other than noticing the array of bad spelling.

This receiver allready built in most popular two cams which Via access 2 and Conex

(Normaly if you buy this cards seperatly it will cost you more than £70 ! )

SNIP

Your receiver is already patched. If you want to repatch it,

when you buy the recever i will send you all the information,

where you can get all the layters pathers

and

i will teach you how how to patch (for this i am providing you a video clip via email)

You have to admit that the spelling is atrocious, it isn't as if there aren't spell checkers available.

morky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
merseyside
i usually avoid online auction sellers with poor spelling like the plague, but i must have overlooked it due to the excitement building over watching everton v wigan on my new satellite system this weekend.

reference lacelot: i dont know why, but i get this fishy feeling i know him from another plaice.