Help! My SAB EXPLORER receiver is dead!

boblalux

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SAB EXPLORER "black box", Laptop Windows 7, PC XP.
My Location
France
Since last night, my SAB EXPLORER is dead !
After turning on the ‘black box’ and TV, I correctly get the SAB logo on the TV screen for about 2 seconds, but then the TV screen goes blank. The EXPLORER is still lit up and on, but I cannot get the menu, either with the remote control, or with the buttons, and I can only turn off the unit by switching the mechanical on/off button on the rear of the unit.
Is something in the box dead (fuse gone?)? The explorer’s screen is still lit up – with the red digits 1, sometimes 7, sometimes 12178 etc, but the unit is frozen.
boblalux

A nonymous

Reaction score
No idea where you get the firmware from for this box or how you re-install it, but it sounds like the firmware could be corrupt. If you can re-install the firmware to it, that may recover it.

Nano

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The SAB receivers from a few years ago had the same internals as the Voyager (Satcatcher) boxes

boblalux

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SAB EXPLORER "black box", Laptop Windows 7, PC XP.
My Location
France
Nano,
Do you mean the software that should have come with the unit? Can't remember ever having any disc. Just plugged in and went to the Menu, but that is the problem - I can't even get to the menu, or at least, it doesn't show on the TV screen.

Channel Hopper said:
The SAB receivers from a few years ago had the same internals as the Voyager (Satcatcher) boxes
Channel Hopper: how does that help me?

Thanks, both of you.

A nonymous

Reaction score
No i mean the firmware that it came out of the factory with. You may be able to get hold of it from the manufacturer.

Nano

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
boblalux said:
Channel Hopper: how does that help me?

Thanks, both of you.
You can probably download from either site, and using the correct editing suite and cable, reflash the receiver.

Use the following guide to find your machine and an appropriate live site that deals with the firmware/software

www.satclones.com/history_of_sat/Receiver/wonik.htm

Jan Luc Piccard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup
My Location
Netherlands
You can find on sabsatellite.nl (original) the firmwares and dvbstand.com (alternative firmwares)
Included the loaders.