Help needed please with motorised dish

bonez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
i havent one yet, but very soon
My Location
bristol
Hi everyone, :)

Having installed the dish setup im having problems aligning. Ive managed to finf 19.2E (Astra), (this is at 10 on the motor dial),, I then entered my long' and lat' in the reciever settings, The reciever is a Dreambox 500S. I thought this would then just be case of selecting a position, say 18.0E and the motor would auto to that position. But its not happening. The motor is aligned to the mounting pole. Is this correct what ive done?
If not, can someone in laymans terms give me the easist solution.

Also whats the difference using Disecq or USALS ?,

(Dish is 1M)

Any help appreciated please

Rich

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
With Diseqc 1.2 you manually move the dish, to find the satellites, then peak the signal and store the position, you need to do this for all the satellites you want to store. With Usals you set the dish up, enter your co-ordinates, latitude & longitude, then the receiver can calculate the position of the satellites.
There is no satellite at 18E, this is so close to 19.2E you should still be picking up Astra 1, 19.2E.
There are no more official Dreambox 500s receivers made, so your receiver is probably a clone, some of which have poor quality power units which experience problems driving a dish.
Check lyngsat.com, kingofsat.net or flysat for a list of satellites, once you have correctly setup your dish you should try satellites at the edge of your arc, like 30W and 42E, to check alignment, then check the satellites inbetween.

bonez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
bristol
Mickha

Thanks for the help, the 18.0E was just a number picked at random.

Using USALS, i tried all day to get something, ive put my latitude & longitude into the receiver, and the latitude on the motor scale, which is 51.25N / 2.35W.

I set the dish to zero on motor, H-Mount and dish all aligned straight, then pointed to which i knew 28.2E, but couldn't lock on, ive another box that uses USAL and same with this also.

One point i did do wrong was put the whole set-up on a fence which was sturdy but did move a bit, so this may be part of problem, ive now put scaffold pole to do the job again.

Thanks again for the help,

(If and when i get it going, ill post back)

Rich

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Try aligning your dish on Thor, 1W, as this is probably your nearest due south satellite, then check other satellites, both East and West.

bonez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
bristol
Try aligning your dish on Thor, 1W, as this is probably your nearest due south satellite, then check other satellites, both East and West.

@Mikha

Thanks again for replying, and sorry to ask again for help.
Ive managed to get 28.2E (for the wife!), this at 6 on the motor arc, which is wrong

Back to USALS, am i right in doing , that the whole motor, ect is alinged and facing true South, then as you say, lock onto Thor 1W. When ive found 1W and locked on, this should be then setup, and the positioner would then know where to go as per satellite.

Thanks

Rich

jpsr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 channel master, cm polar mount, 12 inch actuator, Andrews feedhorn, Inverto lnb, Superjack positioner, Dreambox dm 500s, Protek 9600ip, 1m channel master with black ultra & 1m gibertini with technomate twin output lnb on astra 1/2, TM 5200 & 1000
My Location
Mullingar, Ireland
First of all i take it your pole is plumb both ways, your motor when the shaft is at 0 that it lines in with your dish, and that you have the right latitude for where you are in the world on your motor, and you entered yout lat/long in your receiver.

Move your dish/motor as south as you can, does'nt have to be spot on.
If your motor is'nt at 0 move it to it, then select thor and drive to it, then up to your dish and move your dish and motor east and west, up and down till you get the best signal.

Once you can get thor pole is plumb etc all other sats should fall into place.
On some of the weaker sat you might have to fine tune the dish a bit to get the best signal.
It can take some time balancing good signal on all sats.

I set my motor up on a technomate receiver using usuals,I have a dreambox 500s which i then connected. I had to use disecq to find the sats, but that was ok as i was already alligned.

My advice is if you still find it hard to set it up using the dreambox get a technomate off someone just to set it up as the dreambox 500s clones can be a nightmare on a motorized system.

bonez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
bristol
Thanks for the help guys

I started again, with moving the pole, the pole is 100% plumb, (at the moment, waiting for concrete to set)
The Dream 500 i have, im sure is not a clone, the reason is that some text i read said that if the MAC addy started 00:09, this was a genuine.

If you dont mind me winging on, ill post back to give heads up whats happening with finding them sats'.

Again appreciate the help

Rich

Hakon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My setup
Laminas180cm P.M 60e-30w
24" SuperJack,Clark-Tech V-Box
Laminas120cm CM P.M 75e-30w
18" Superjack, Clark-Tech V-Box
Gibertini XP premium 100cm
Polar Mount, 12" Superjack
75e-30w
2 x Vu+ Duo
My Location
Sweden south
There are clones that has MAC 00:09......sorry but not a 100% way to detect a original.