Help needed with EMP-Centauri 8x1 switches

LowNoiseBloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Force Frontier 90,2xEmp-Centauri P168(28.2,23.5,19.2,16,13,9,5E,5W)
Vu+Duo2 & Now TV, Amazon Fire TV & Droidbox X7,
Buffalo Linkstation,
Pace TDS850NB Sky+HD,
Ubuntu/Fedora servers,
Technisat AirStar/Freeview.
My Location
South Staffs. U.K.
I've just bought a pair of these switches to extend the lnb choice on a DB7000 and DB7020. They're the sort that have a reddish/pinkish plastic weatherproof housing. Problem is they seem to be well and truly jammed into the housings and I'm not certain whether or how I should try to get them out. The diseqc mode switches are not accessible without removing the housings and the space for connecting the F-plugs looks very tight. If anyone has any practical experience of handling these switches I would be grateful to hear it. The factory-set diseqc mode is 1.2 so I suppose I could set the DBs up to drive the switches like a motor but if I do need to change this then how much brute force should I use to remove the housings ?. Thanks in advance for any comments.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Not sure about EMP Centauri as I've used Spaun but isn't there a plastic lug or clip on the back that secures the metal housing of the switch? Other than that all I can suggest is popping a F connector on a middle input and using that for extra purchase. I agree it's very fiddly to get the F connectors on, though obviously easier if the switch is out of it's housing until it's all connected up and working, then secured in the weatherproof housing.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
I've used a number of these switches and the covers are a bit stiff but I think there is a little plastic lug that jams the switch into the cover so you might need to ease it over that which may be easier to do when inside in the warmth rather than when the plastic is cold outside.

LowNoiseBloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Force Frontier 90,2xEmp-Centauri P168(28.2,23.5,19.2,16,13,9,5E,5W)
Vu+Duo2 & Now TV, Amazon Fire TV & Droidbox X7,
Buffalo Linkstation,
Pace TDS850NB Sky+HD,
Ubuntu/Fedora servers,
Technisat AirStar/Freeview.
My Location
South Staffs. U.K.
Thanks for the helpful comments chaps. It sounds like a pair of long nose pliers and a flat blade screwdriver are needed to simply prise the switches out of the housings, with an F-connector to protect the threads.

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
Had the same trouble with my centauri 16 way, twas well stuck in the plastic sleeve. I ended up putting an f connector on the switcher box to get some purchase.