Help re Digisender

sidney reilly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
I hope some of you guys can give me some advice. I have a sky+ box conect by HDMI to my HD tv and it is great. However I am moving into a new rented property and there is no way to get the cables from the dish into the lounge and into the sky box. The house house has a large covered balcony and this is where the dish will be set up. I was wondering if it would be a solution to have the sky box outside with the dish and then connect a digisender to it, put the receiver inside the house just the other side of the window ( within a foot of the sender unit) and connect the receiver to my TV.

Would this work? If it does how would the HD pic quality be and also would all the sky+ features (live pause, recording 2 channels etc) still work....

Thanks in advance

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
A mains powered receiver outside. Nah not a good idea - if you can waterproof it enough to keep the moisture out it'll probably overheat!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You say there is no way to get the cables in - by which I assume you mean the Landlord won't permit holes being drilled etc.

So have you considered one of the special bits of cable made specifically to deal with a closed window situation? You mention the dish going on a balcony, so there must be door or french window access.

A quick Google or peek at eg Fleabay will show you what I mean. "Flat Cable Window Satellite" as search string does the job nicely.

sidney reilly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
Analoguesat said:
A mains powered receiver outside. Nah not a good idea - if you can waterproof it enough to keep the moisture out it'll probably overheat!

It would not be outside, it is a covered and enclosed balcony....

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
sidney reilly said:
It would not be outside, it is a covered and enclosed balcony....

If it's covered and enclosed, how will the dish work?

Assuming that isn't a problem, and that we are just missing the essential details that a couple of piccies would help with, how about the cable I referred to earlier?

sidney reilly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
Tivù said:
You say there is no way to get the cables in - by which I assume you mean the Landlord won't permit holes being drilled etc.

So have you considered one of the special bits of cable made specifically to deal with a closed window situation? You mention the dish going on a balcony, so there must be door or french window access.

A quick Google or peek at eg Fleabay will show you what I mean. "Flat Cable Window Satellite" as search string does the job nicely.

Yes there are doors to the balcony.... will check that cable out ... many thanks....

sidney reilly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
Aha... so a flat cable from the dish into the back of the sky box..... seems perfect :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well the flat cable is quite short, so "proper cable" is run from dish to flat section and from flat section to box, connected with standard F connectors.

Do the searches, if you haven't already, and it becomes obvious.

Cheap, cheerful and effective ................. not sure how long they last though, but they aren't expensive and if it solves the problem, so be it.

sidney reilly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
Have checked it out..... perfect..... thanks for the help. Don't you just love the internet!

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
...not forgetting the guys on this forum ;)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
And as a PS. one of our supporting advertisers sell the flat cable, sateuropa.