help setting up motor installation ?

johnodupont

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky + HD system, Technomate motorised system 7100 reciever
My Location
Shetland
Hello , Ive finally got a motorised system (1.1 dish, Technomate TM-2600 motor, Technomate 7100 reciever) and managed to get it set up on a pole. The problems im having is finding channels. I can find none at all Westwards ( Thor,Atlantic bird etc) and eastwards all i can seem to get is Hotbird at 13 and eutelsat w1 at 10 degrees east. Some of the problem seems to be that the motor wont go any further than about 15 degrees each way. I am very far north (Shetland Isles) and particularly want astra at 19.2 E which i used to get on my old fixed dish. Any help would be much appriciated.
Thanks

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Hi,

You need to check mechanical limits on the motor. If need be, move the sliders further apart. Check software limits also.

Reference satellite will be Thor 0.8W° to align up on. Certainly recommend reading over the motor dish set up guides first though.

Check the mast is level and motor inclination is set to 60° Latitude or an elevation of 30° on the relevant motor bracket markings.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Post some side/rear pictures of the dish and motor

johnodupont

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Shetland
Here are some pics

Attachments

• Dish from east.JPG
    Dish from east.JPG
    446.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Dish From Rear.JPG
    Dish From Rear.JPG
    319.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Looking north this is as far east as it will turn.JPG
    Looking north this is as far east as it will turn.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 58

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
To begin with, your motor elevation looks ok. Not as sure about the 'plumbness' of your pole (are you sure it's up to taking the more extreme wind loadings you'll get up there?) but it looks fairly ok. It's just possible that the dish itself may be a tad low. Whether or not the motor has restricted movement, if it's set on due south (as in your middle and last photos) Thor should be there or thereabouts.

Just a note for the 'regulars'. The dish is similar if not the same as installed by two other members (one in Scotland IIRC). They had problems with initial setup too. The dish has no central pivot point around which the elevation can be adjusted. Concensus was that although it looks as though the dish mount has been assembled upside down, it is in fact correct.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Yes motor inclination looks correct.

You need to set the dish up on Thor. How are you making your alignment out of interest, meter or receiver?

RdMin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fixed 80cm on 28.2 deg,80cm Motorised 76.5E -58W
My Location
Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Can confirm the dish build is correct,built the same dish yesterday,motor can take upto 1.2m dish (same motor I have),as stated previous I would be reluctant to install this dish in such an exposed environment.I have re-installed my 80cm mesh onto the motor setup (wind loading factor) and can receive 19.2E with relative ease,300 miles south of your location.Have you tried running the motor manually from E-W,without the dish attached.???

johnodupont

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Shetland
Had a guy up with a meter yesterday and he couldnt find Thor with it ,but we found eutelsat w1 at 10 degrees east ,and i found Hotbird on my reciever but nothing else.The pole was plumb when i cemented it in. I guess I could try the dish a bit higher. it does seem to be pointing a bit low when im as far east as i can go.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
johnodupont said:
Had a guy up with a meter yesterday and he couldnt find Thor

Assume not an installer?

Try rigging up the 'dish only' on Thor, [should give you an idea of direction for due South satellite].

johnodupont

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Shetland
I do have an old wall bracket with my old battered fixed dish directly behind the new dish (see photo) It is steady as a rock but not sure about the plumbness. it is certainly more sheltered there!

Attachments

• Old bracket.JPG
    Old bracket.JPG
    481.4 KB · Views: 47

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The elevation for Thor from your location is 21 degrees, so if your dish has an offset of 23 degrees or more, it may need to point slightly lower.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
From the second of the OP's three photo's, does it not look like the dish is already on it's lowest possible setting? I think this was the problem with the dish mount design, in that at more northerly latitudes (especially Shetland) it was a struggle to get the elevation low enough. I don't think it's a problem that a bit of judicious filing couldn't cure though.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Yes probably, although does look like enough declination has been made based on the pictures of the main axis angle, motor setting.

Re-drilling the bottom EL bracket bolts further in would give a lower dish El adjustment.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Surely just turning the bracket upside down will give you a lower declination option.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
You would have thought so Rolf but from what I remember of the other thread (OP in Scotland), he tried it both ways and thought it didn't make a lot of difference.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The dish mounting is already upside down from the second picture to give more declination, (and that pole looks like it's been there for a few years)

A quick check on something Westerly that is within view (Hispasat ?) will confirm if mechanical rework is required on the installation.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I disagree, if it is installed the other way up, the dish can be moved to below the position it is now, which appears to be around 23 degrees.

johnodupont

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Shetland
Thanks for all the advice everyone, I am going to move the dish to the wall mount, put it a bit higher,check the mechanical limits possibly reverse the bracket and give it another try.Will let you know how I get on!

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Sounds like a good plan! Make sure you check that wall mount for 'plumbness', both before and after you mount the dish/motor assembly.

@ CH. Apparently the instructions that come with the dish state that having the adjustment at the top of the bracket is correct. Other posters with the same dish have found the elevation they needed by turning the bracket upside down. You can't avoid the fact that it's a poor design.