Help setting up Technomate Monobloc Astra/Hotbird

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD
Technomate-5200 monobloc
My Location
Estbourne, East Sussex, England
Hi,
I had a Technomate 5200D with an 80cm installed just before Christmas and the guy mentioned about monoblocs so I figured I'd buy one and try setting it up myself! The system was all installed and recieveing Astra fine, I did a little research and when my monobloc arrived I popped it on and could recieve probably 50% of the Hotbird channels. Anyway now Christmas has passed I decided today was a good day to try and line it up properly and tune in the rest. The thing is right from the start it was a fluke and I managed to find what I think was Hotbird just by chance. Anyway today I purchased a satellite finder and tried to tune all the channels in but to no avail.
All I did before was place the right LNB in the holder so that the other LNB on the left was pointing to what I thought was Hotbird? All I did was move it round until my wife said I had a picture!
That didn't work this time though!
What I could really do with is a step by step guide of what I should do from start to finish. EG: Do I have the correct LNB in the holder, what setting do I need to change on my reciever etc.
By the way I'm down in Eastbourne and have 120 degrees clear line of sight.
Sorry for the dumbness but I'm pretty new to trying to setup satellite recievers!

Happy New Year by the way.
:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If your dish was aligned to Astra 19.2 East, then you should have been able to clamp the most Westerly side of the monobloc into the LNB holder, with the Easterly side slightly lower and it should work straight away.

G

Looking from the Monoblock towards the Dish, and with the Dish aligned to Astra 1, the left Port of the LNB should be retained in the Collar.

The right Port is for Hotbird and you will simply need to slightly slacken the collar on the clamped Port, then rotate the entire Monoblock until the right-hand Port is at roughly the "four o'clock" position - this gives you the rough elevation for Hotbird using an 80cm Dish

Then, in DiSEqC, allocate Astra 1 = Port B (or 2) and Hotbird = Port A (or 1).

Leaving the Dish alignment as it is, simply gently rotate the Monoblock a little either way to optimise Quality on Hotbird.

NB: You should not have had to move the Dish from its original alignment - but rereading your Post, it seems possible you might have done. In which event, re-align it to Astra 1!

If you have actually gone and aligned it to 13E by any chance, let us know and we will adjust our step by step instructions to account for that.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD
Technomate-5200 monobloc
My Location
Estbourne, East Sussex, England
No I've not moved the dish at all and can get all the Astra channels no problem. When I put in the monobloc lnb i placed it in with the right lnb (looking from behind the dish towards the lnb) with the left lnb level. I can switch from Astra to Hotbird via the setting on my Technomate but I don't receive a lot of channels. I get a not strong enough signal message.
I'm just not sire if I should place the other lnb in the holder as some posts have said that Hotbird is the weaked signal? Like I said I do get channels but on some I get the error message.
I can't get channels like Sky news, Thai Global TV Network on Hotbird but I can get 4 Fun TV etc. Fine tuning?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Try pushing the left hand LNB down a touch as suggested.

Not much point in moving the other LNB to the holder, on an 80cm dish, both satellites are easily strong enough for either to be in the holder, and secondly you would have to re-align the dish.

mattsnapper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dishes : T90, 1.2m dish , motorized 80cm , 60cm dishes & 1.8 prime focus

Receivers : French DIVA HD for french telly and AZ Premium HD+ box

Current project : rebuild the satellite farm in the garden

2011 : C Band
My Location
shrewsbury
Start from scratch and make sure your mount is 100% straight with a spirit level. Best investment I made this weekend was using a broken stick under my ground mount which literally lifted it up by a mm but Im now receiving channels I could not get before using a 39cm dish from Maplin!

Start by scanning the strong channels and although signal meters are great, there is no substitute for an extension lead and outside portable TV connected to your receiver if at all possible.

A channel that breaks up is easier to nail using a picture on a screen in front of you than a signal meter I believe. Skewing by 1 degree won't necessarily make a huge difference on a meter, however it can certainly be the difference between a clear reception and a reception that breaks up.

Next go to a weaker channel on the same sat and skew the LNB or move the dish until a weak signal warning sign on your receiver disappears.

Once you get the dish in the right place, everything then fits together in place. If one variable is slightly out, everything magnifies being out of place and you won't get the full potential.

You should then have the mm precision to be confident a second LNB will work OK. Again if possible with a TV skew the LNB - its surprising how much difference 1-2 degrees makes from getting a 70% strength signal to a 95%.

I spent about 30 mins this afternoon making sure one of my mounts was 100% plumb, after that I was finding sats in less than 1 minute. Like with DIY - preparation is everything!!

In my experience using mulit LNBs is easier to find sats than motorised dishes but ONLY if the sat is 100% by mm precision in the correct place to begin with. If the dish is out then you will not be getting the full potential of what can be reflected from the dish to the LNB.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
mattsnapper said:
In my experience using mulit LNBs is easier to find sats than motorised dishes but ONLY if the sat is 100% by mm precision in the correct place to begin with. If the dish is out then you will not be getting the full potential of what can be reflected from the dish to the LNB.

:-rofl2 Well, I've found the complete opposite, it seems whenever I do these, there is a lot of leeway in positioning the offset LNBs. Which makes more sense, as the LNBs are not in focus and get a blurred 'image' rather than a spot.

G

Robbo said:
:-rofl2 Well, I've found the complete opposite, it seems whenever I do these, there is a lot of leeway in positioning the offset LNBs. Which makes more sense, as the LNBs are not in focus and get a blurred 'image' rather than a spot.

I agree entirely.

The best (and essential) thing our friend can do with his Monoblock is to rotate it so that the Hotbird portion (right hand one looking from LNB towards Dish) is roughly at four o'clock, and make small further adjustments to peak Hotbird.

The results he's getting now are consistent with it being level (as far as I can make out) and he shouldn't be apprehensive about moving it.

vokes12345

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
oscam
My Location
uk

hi can you do me big faver can you find out Technomate Linux TM-Twin 4K Twin Tuner 4K UHD Full HD 1080p satellite how would i tune up box got mono block on my dish for hotbird 13 east astra 19 east where do i go on menu and what setting need on box

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Check your tuner options for using Diseqc 1.0, and select tuner A for 13E, B for 19.2E, if that fails change 13E to Tuner B, 19.2E to Tuner B.
You'll just have to keep trying different settings, until it works, unless you can post images of your menu options.

vokes12345

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
oscam
My Location
uk
hi can you tell what setting i need to put on box to tune up to hotbird astra using mono block

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 13

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Set Diseqc mode to 1.0 then try scanning in some channels, if that fails set LNB to LNB 2, then try again, then LNB 3, etc, if all that fails try again with Diseqc 1.1 and keep trying.
Please post back with the results.
Are you certain your dish, and monoblock, are set up correctly? Did you set your dish up?

vokes12345

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
oscam
My Location
uk
hi can you telll me do go on to tuner configuration and then tuner a advanced and then what do i do for hotbird astra using mono block and them were do i go to tune up box

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
You have posted an image of the advanced menu settings, you simply scroll down, to LNB, then try LNB 1, then scroll down to Diseqc Mode and set that to Diseqc 1.0, save your settings and try scanning, if that fails set LNB to LNB 2, save and try again, and so on.

You didn't mention who fitted the monoblock, and dish, and if you're certain it's set up correctly.

vokes12345

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
oscam
My Location
uk
can you help me what do info do put on box for hotbird astra using mono block can you tell me step by step what i do on box

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
DiSEqC mode = 1.0
DiSEqC 1.0 command = port 1 or A / port 2 or B

vokes12345

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
oscam
My Location
uk
DiSEqC mode = 1.0
DiSEqC 1.0 command = port 1 or A / port 2 or B
hi what should hotbird be on we went on advanced and went on to diseqc mode 1.0 diseqc command port A should fast diseqc be no or yes

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Leave everything else as it is.
There was a post, in one of the threads, that mentioned using the simple setup option, of Diseqc A/B.
It is time that you stopped asking questions and started posting information, regarding what you've tried, and the results.
You could also tell us more about your receiver, if it is an Enigma 2 receiver what image do you have loaded?
Information should be in the menu, listed under about, or you could post screen shots, of the menu, so at least those of us that don't own a Technomate can see some of the menu options.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Everything else should be left as it is in the screenshot you posted. If you do a scan of 13E Hotbird does it work?