help starting with a sat system please

rozz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none yet
My Location
cambridgeshire uk
hi,
brand new to all this,could do with a few pointers.
looking to get a dreambox dm800,had a sat installer round for a survey,guy seemed to want to put me off a motorised system(told me i would be better off with 2 lnbs pointed at astra & hotbird as motorised system takes 2 minutes to change channel + it will probably need realigning frequently).
okay some questions?
is this true? as i would prefer to see what other channels are up there.
what 1m dish would you guys recommend ?
if this guy is talking rubbish about motorised set up, which good quality motor for 1m dish?
am i right in thinking 2 fixed lnbs with quad outputs pointed at astra + hotbird, 8 cables into 2 seperate diseqc switches would give me four cables coming out,2 to main room one for freesat built into tv other for dm800 + 2 cables for backroom one for freesat built into tv other for dm800?
help.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
He's talking absolute rubbish m8 ..
It may well take a minute for the dish to get from extreme East to extreme west ...but channel hopping beteen adjacent or closely grouped sats takes very little time ..
It sounds to me like your installer is scared of work ...
If its what you want and you're prepared to pay ..
Go for it ...get your motorised system up ..
..much more fun than fixed dishes.
rgds
VS

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
rozz said:
hi,
brand new to all this,could do with a few pointers.
looking to get a dreambox dm800,had a sat installer round for a survey,guy seemed to want to put me off a motorised system(told me i would be better off with 2 lnbs pointed at astra & hotbird as motorised system takes 2 minutes to change channel + it will probably need realigning frequently).
okay some questions?
is this true? as i would prefer to see what other channels are up there.
what 1m dish would you guys recommend ?
if this guy is talking rubbish about motorised set up, which good quality motor for 1m dish?

A motorised system would give you reception of many satellites. Installed correctly, it shouldn't need re-aligning as mentioned.

Consider a Fracarro Penta 85cm dish on a Moteck/TM DiSEqC motor; very reliable and good performance.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Agree entirely with m'honourable fiends.

Another decent Dish is the Gibertini 1.04m.

Motorised opens up all sorts of interesting avenues - If you went for a fixed Dish and only a couple of Satellites, I bet it wouldn't be long before you got frustrated and wanted MORE.

Also, if you give a slightly more precise location than "UK", you might even find somebody here who can help you directly .........

Edit: Not copying you, Topper, honest!

rozz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none yet
My Location
cambridgeshire uk
ok thanks guys,profile updated cambridgeshire uk.
i should mention that its flat,exposed & can get very windy around here.last year my aluminium pole snapped on terrrestrial aerial.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
As exposed, if you have a good clear line of sight then mounting the dish fairly low down in a sheltered spot should be considered. Maybe a ground mount.

rozz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none yet
My Location
cambridgeshire uk
if i go motorised route,how will this affect freesat?
a quad lnb on motorised dish,2 feeds to main room 2 feeds to backroom,mainroom 2 feeds, 1 to freesat built into tv & 1 to dm800.would this allow me to record on dm800,say itvhd & watch another channel on freesat bbc hd? & if i was recording a channel on thor 1w,what would happen to the freesat? would i be able to watch another thor 1w on inbuilt freesat tv tuner?
thanks,

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Keep a fixed Dish just for 28E - so much easier!

I suspect many of us do just that.

rozz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none yet
My Location
cambridgeshire uk
ok thanks guys,was just curious to know if a tv (uk bought) with inbuilt freesat tuner would display other satellites thor 1w etc.got myself an 8ft scaffold pole and a south facing fence.how deep & wide should the hole be dug for a 1m motorised dish?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
rozz said:
ok thanks guys,was just curious to know if a tv (uk bought) with inbuilt freesat tuner would display other satellites thor 1w etc.got myself an 8ft scaffold pole and a south facing fence.how deep & wide should the hole be dug for a 1m motorised dish?

You need to be careful as you will have problems viewing other satellites if there is no Diseqc facility in the inbuilt freesat tuner. If I remember correctly they are for a fixed dish sytem. It doesn't mean it cannot be done but it will mean extra equipment to achieve it

rozz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none yet
My Location
cambridgeshire uk
thanks for the many replies guys,i am thinking a 1m motorised dish on a pole in garden for a dm800,unless you can point me to a better receiver for around the £400 mark & seperate dish fixed above that for freesat.