Help!! Thoroughly confused.

begarkitta

When I registered in this forum, I was confident that I could catch up with the tech details—a confidence that rested on my experience in analogue electronics and more than a decade of experience with computers. I did make some progress, no doubt. However, when I read yesterday some sort of a primer on Matrix Reloaded, I was thoroughly confused. Please tell me whether I am right with regard to the following:

• CAMs are not just dumb hardware; they have microprocessors and an Eprom and/or a RAM that can be programmed.
  • Non-proprietary CAMs such as MR can work without the need of a smart card.
  • Smart Cards carry Keys and these keys can be directly fed into CAMs such as MR.
  • CAMs can be connected to a PC and programmed.
  • CAMs are continuously antiquated as encryption aficionados outsmart them.
  • A CAS interface is a devise that allows one to programme CAMs without the need of a PC.
  • There are CAMs that have slot for the smart card, while others are inserted into receivers that have separate slots for smart cards.
  • The average functional age of third-party CAM (such as MR) is approximately 1-11/2 years.
  • Non-proprietary CAMs such as MR may not decrypt all encryption modes. They can, however, be programmed to do so—i.e., my MR may not recognize Conax, but I can make it do so.

I would also be grateful if I could be directed to articles or pdf files that tell me all.

Thanks.

PS: why is it that one cannot get into the toecutters den even after registering?

danit

My Satellite Setup
motorised Gibertini 125 - fixed dish 72 -
stabHH120 -
lnb Inverto Black Ultra 0.2 - Sharp 0.4 -
Jepssen STHD3 AzboxHD Premium / 1TB WD e-sata hdd -
Fortec Passion HD -
QUALI IRCI HDTV -
Homecast PVR 300 -
Digiscrappybox -
various CAMs -
vari
My Location
8e 43.9n
  • CAMs are not just dumb hardware; they have microprocessors and an Eprom and/or a RAM that can be programmed.
right
  • Non-proprietary CAMs such as MR can work without the need of a smart card.
some of them (Matrix, Dragon, Xcam, ...) can do it but they also can read official smart cards, some others (Magic) need a smart card
  • Smart Cards carry Keys and these keys can be directly fed into CAMs such as MR.
right: keys can be carried from smart cards but also directly from programmers (CAS interface, dynamite, smartmouse, etc...)
  • CAMs can be connected to a PC and programmed.
only some of them: Matrix can do it but not with any firmware, Dragon and Xcam can't
  • CAMs are continuously antiquated as encryption aficionados outsmart them.
some CAMs are very good even after a long time they are on the market, actualized by always up to date firmwares
  • A CAS interface is a devise that allows one to programme CAMs without the need of a PC.
right: it's a programmer for CAMs but also for any kind of smart card
  • There are CAMs that have slot for the smart card, while others are inserted into receivers that have separate slots for smart cards.
wrong: all CAMs have slot for smart card (the newest have two: one regular and one for a sim card), some receivers have slots for CAMs and also slot for smart card (embedd CAM)
  • The average functional age of third-party CAM (such as MR) is approximately 1-11/2 years.
???? as I said, it depends on the firmware development and the "functional age" can be much longer
  • Non-proprietary CAMs such as MR may not decrypt all encryption modes. They can, however, be programmed to do so—i.e., my MR may not recognize Conax, but I can make it do so.
they are usually sold "blank" (it would be illegal, otherwise) and this way they can't decrypt anything nor reading official cards: the owner has to programm it with the last available firmware by wich the CAM will decrypt all what is possible at the moment

begarkitta

Danit and Michka,

Thanks. I have before now consulted Duwgati site as advised by Michka. But some questions remain unanswered. I need to, as one of the moderators has said elsewhere, "read more and dream."

I am just wondering, right now, what programmeable cam and funcard I would require to be able to receive conax-encryped programmes. Would MR and FC-5 do?

Thanks again for your patience.

danit

My Satellite Setup
motorised Gibertini 125 - fixed dish 72 -
stabHH120 -
lnb Inverto Black Ultra 0.2 - Sharp 0.4 -
Jepssen STHD3 AzboxHD Premium / 1TB WD e-sata hdd -
Fortec Passion HD -
QUALI IRCI HDTV -
Homecast PVR 300 -
Digiscrappybox -
various CAMs -
vari
My Location
8e 43.9n
begarkitta said:
I am just wondering, right now, what programmeable cam and funcard I would require to be able to receive conax-encryped programmes. Would MR and FC-5 do?
MR works, but just consider that conax based broadcasters are planning to upgrade their encryption, when... who knows??

gauch21

I need a RedBull
My Satellite Setup
HOTBIRD 4/6 & NSS6 ON ZENEGA CD-1005S with 1 CI-slot & 1 smart-card reader (CONAX Embedded), DISEqC SWITCH, MATRIX O3ZONE LOADED WITH UCAS3.2 & MR 1.220
My Location
India
begarkitta, i got my matrix 03zone cam right now through post. Please advise where can i find drivers for it for XP and what softwares are needed to programme this cam. where will i find these softwares. as this cam can be programmed for mr rev, reloaded and reborn. what are the differences between these and which should i chose.

begarkitta

Gauch,

Please read the extensive sticky file at the beginning of this forum on matrix "how to." Also, download and read all the pdf files in the duolabs.com site.

I am afraid your question cannot be answered in short and I am not the thorough professional to be of complete help. I am groping around like yourself. I have sent you an email, please reply.