Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.8m Motorized dish
Globalstar 9500 LAN Receiver
Windows PC
My Location
Birmingham B30
Hi Everyone,

I've got a 0.8m dish setup on a motor in Birmingham but I'm having a couple of issues I'm hoping you could help me with.

Firstly, instead of using USALS the dish was setup via the very tedious process of finding a signal, searching for channels, identifying which satellite it is i'm receiving (via kingofsat etc) adding all the channels then using the STB to move the dish and find the next satellite etc.

This has worked relatively well and I can access most birds in the east (0.8w, 4e, 7e, 9e, 10e, 13e, 15.8e, 19.2e, 23.5e and 28.2e)

However, 2 problems I have are that I can't find any dishes in the west further than 0.8w. Ideally I'd like to be able to get Nilesat at 7w and Hipasat at 30w, but I cant get any signal quality when I move the dish further than 1w. Secondly, on 1w I don't get any signal quality on the Horizontal transponders. I can get quality of around 80-90% on vertical but not horizontal.

All feedback or suggestions appreciated.

(Please bear in mind I didn't install this dish and have no experience in the physical side of getting on the roof and fiddling around with angles etc! :)

Thanks
Andy

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You won't get anything at all from Nilesat!

It would take at least 1.1m to get a few Verticals - sometimes. And at least 1.8m to even think about getting Horizontals.

As for the general installation bits and bobs, failure to track is possibly down to a pole that isn't plumb, and/or one or more of several other possibilities: Please post up some pics as it makes life soooo much easier.

chutuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.8m Motorized dish
Windows PC
My Location
Birmingham B30
Hi Tivù,

Thanks for the feedback. How about at 30w, I've heard it may be possible to receive this bird with an 80cm dish.

Is there any particular angle you'd like the pictures at?

Thanks
Andy

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
30w, no problem.

You should also get 5W, 8W, 12.5W, 15W, 22W very well, so there is something fundamental wrong here.

Various angles for the pics, please.

Front, back, side, close up of LNB, Motor bracket, Dish brakcet and one showing the attitude of the dish with respect to the stub.

Don't use high-res as the max file sizes are up to 1MB only on our Server - either that or use Pixresizer to shrink 'em.

chutuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.8m Motorized dish
Windows PC
My Location
Birmingham B30
Tivù said:
30w, no problem.

You should also get 5W, 8W, 12.5W, 15W, 22W very well, so there is something fundamental wrong here.

Various angles for the pics, please.

Front, back, side, close up of LNB, Motor bracket, Dish brakcet and one showing the attitude of the dish with respect to the stub.

Don't use high-res as the max file sizes are up to 1MB only on our Server - either that or use Pixresizer to shrink 'em.

Thanks, might be a bit difficult as I haven't got access to the roof at the moment. (No ladder!) Will go out and get what I can though and report back.

Thanks again

chutuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.8m Motorized dish
Windows PC
My Location
Birmingham B30
IMG_1259.JPG
At 7E

IMG_1261.JPG
LNB with 6degree monoblock. Only one being used now

IMG_1263.JPG
Motor

IMG_1265.JPG
Facing west, but not picking up anything

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
1. At least you are correctly using the default Port of the Monoblock!

2. Entire pole/motor/dish assembly could do with being lowered closer to the uppermost bracket, for stability

3. Can you get a close up of the Motor bracket - It looks be eye to be way out, but a pic showing the scales (One on each side: One marked in "Elevation" and the other "Longitude", would help - If not possible, please read off BOTH scale points and tell us the setting

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Hi,

Do you get horizontal transponders on all other sats?

It's also possible (being setup on DiSEqC 1.2 only) the dish may or may not be correctly tracking. You may also find a fault with the monobloc?

In addition, that mast is not man enough; good chance of slippage in strong winds especially with the bracket / back plate on the dark motor ;)

Can you park the dish at 1W and post a picture please.

chutuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.8m Motorized dish
Windows PC
My Location
Birmingham B30
Hi Both,

Fraid I can't get readouts or close ups of the scale points just yet, think I'm gonna need a ladder for that (which i'd need to borrow)

But in response to the other questions I can get both vertical and horizontal on other birds, including 4e. Horizontal seems to get a better quality read-out than vertical, but can definitely pick them both up.

Also, the dish does tend to wobble a bit in high winds (especially today!!) but it's never lost anything through this as far as i know.

Thanks
Andy

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Has it worked on the West in the past?, is there line of sight to the West? Have you always had this issue? If the latter and you do have a line of sight, then I suspect possibly an installation setup fault.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
When you send the dish to zero/reference point, is it on 1 West?

martinuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, C120 Invacom 0.3 LNB & Feedhorn, with Tm.Vbox &Technomate 5402HD
My Location
uk-stoke-on-trent
the guy who fitted it should of worked from 1w when setting dish up

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
martinuk said:
the guy who fitted it should of worked from 1w when setting dish up

Yes, I think the question Rolfw was asking is to establish if the installer locked up the dish on 1W whilst on zero.

This of course is incorrect as O/P's location is nearly 2°W.... going on the info above ;)

chutuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.8m Motorized dish
Windows PC
My Location
Birmingham B30
rolfw said:
When you send the dish to zero/reference point, is it on 1 West?

Hiya, I'm not totally sure as it wasn't me who set it up, however I assume he didn't as I would've thought the set up would've been via USALS if he used 1w as a reference point. I'm actually not at all sure how it was set up.

Can anyone recommend someone in the Birmingham area who might be able to take a look?

A nonymous

Reaction score
I take it by the fact you have put down B30 in your profile that your around the Kings Norton, Stirchley area.

Its definitely 1w you need to line up on in that area.

I might know somebody who might be able to help :D

Nano

chutuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.8m Motorized dish
Windows PC
My Location
Birmingham B30
nanochickin said:
I take it by the fact you have put down B30 in your profile that your around the Kings Norton, Stirchley area.

Its definitely 1w you need to line up on in that area.

I might know somebody who might be able to help :D

Nano

Hi!

Yup, I'm right in the middle of Cotteridge mate! If you could pass on my details or put me in touch then that'd be great! :D