Help with SL65 and sky analogue dish/LNB

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There are no analogue channels on Astra 28.2 East, so if you are no longer interested in receiving Eurosport, then by all means utilise the cable.

billnot

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
Benitachell, Alicante, Spain
Sherry, as rolfw says, you can fit a quad (or even octo) LNB to your existing Sky dish. That's the way to go rather than have two dishes pointed at the same satellite.

Since you have two dishes, one at 19,2º and one at 28,2º, you could fit a Disecq switch to your SL-65 and have it receive from both satellites. The best of both worlds - something a Sky box won't do!

sherry

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FreeSat Satellite SilverCrest SL65
My Location
Essex, UK
billnot said:
Sherry, as rolfw says, you can fit a quad (or even octo) LNB to your existing Sky dish. That's the way to go rather than have two dishes pointed at the same satellite.

Since you have two dishes, one at 19,2º and one at 28,2º, you could fit a Disecq switch to your SL-65 and have it receive from both satellites. The best of both worlds - something a Sky box won't do!

Hi Billnot,

I'm afraid we're getting a bit to technical for me now!!
Please explain in simple terms as I don't understand quad LNB's and Disecq?????
It would be difficult for me to get to the sky dish as it's higher up on the wall.
If it's ok (ie not illegal) the simplest thing for me would be to leave existing dishes alone and add the small new one I've got(still got to drill holes and lead another cable though, sob!)
Then I could carry on with sky digital freesat as this is working fine. Use my old analogue receiver to pick up Eurosport and CNN or something like that?(or just get rid of it as I never watch Eurosport anyway!)
Since I already have the twin LNB and small dish I would not need to buy another LNB (and I'm not sure I could get to the dish anyway as it's too high up).
Do you think it is ok to have another dish on my wall(making 3 in all?).
I think I can see by looking at the existing dishes that the smaller sky one is already pointing where I'd need to put the new one ie 28.2 deg. The old one is pointing at the 19.2, I can see this now after being advised how to move the old one to get it pointing at 28.2!!
If I could of got to the old dish and it wasn't so rusty I would of moved it but I'm afraid that is beyond me.
I am sure you guys would be able to get to my sky dish and do what you say with a quad LNB but again I think that is beyond me as already stated the dish is too high up for me.
Please could someone explain what you can do with quad, triple, dual LNB??
I understand you can connect more than one receiver but is it like having multiple LNB's? ie can the receivers all be receiving different channels at the same time? (from the same satellite of course:)).
Also what is a Disecq Switch? Sounds like something you can use to connect more than one dish to a single receiver and then choose which one to view (a bit like having 2 TV aerials going to a TV via a switch box and choosing which transmitter to receive?).

Sorry I am going on a bit but I'm trying my best to understand you all and am very appreciative of all of your help.

sherry x

sherry

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex, UK
Just had one more thought, I might be able to get to the bolts that hold the old dish onto the wall and undo them, hence taking the old dish down. They don't look as badly rusted as the others.
I could then use it's cable to connect to the small new dish, saving me having to do another cable run!!
This would then mean I only have 2 dishes on the wall as now.
Of course I'm not sure I could actually do this but if you advise 3 dishes is not allowed then I'd give it a try as I think I'd prefer only 2 dishes anyway.

sherry x

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
sherry said:
Hi Billnot,

I'm afraid we're getting a bit to technical for me now!!
Please explain in simple terms as I don't understand quad LNB's and Disecq?????
Please could someone explain what you can do with quad, triple, dual LNB??
I understand you can connect more than one receiver but is it like having multiple LNB's? ie can the receivers all be receiving different channels at the same time? (from the same satellite of course:)).
Also what is a Disecq Switch? Sounds like something you can use to connect more than one dish to a single receiver and then choose which one to view (a bit like having 2 TV aerials going to a TV via a switch box and choosing which transmitter to receive?).

sherry x

Hi sherry,

I would like to say that I really admire your courage and the way that you are handling and analyzing this project.

A DISEQC is basically an RF switch or a relay switch.
It is a simple way to use just one sat receiver to switch between the signals coming from several satellite dishes so that you can watch a specific channel that you choose on your remote.
It has an output connector that connects to the receiver input and several inputs that connect to the connecters on the end of each cable coming down from the various LNBs on each dish.
See _http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/diseqc-relais-edision/?PHPSESSID=91148a8e78c098589136509a3503c8b2

An LNB (Low Noise Block Converter) is the means by which the tiny low power microwave signals that is received with the sat dish is amplified and converted to a lower RF frequency signal so that the receiver will be able to deal with and convert it in turn to a much lower frequency in the Video and audio range.

A single LNB can be used to watch just one channel, if you have one receiver.
A dual LNB can be used to connect to two sat receivers (or a receiver with dual tuners) so that you can watch one channel and record (or watch on a second TV) a second channel.
A Quad LNB can connects to four different receivers so that you can watch/record four different channels at the same time.

Here are _http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/lnbs-lnb-quattro/

Hope that you can ask a friend to come and help you, especially when you are up on the ladder.

Good Luck :)

0.gif

0.gif

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
Each posting seems to be making a simple job more complicated.

You don't need a diseqc switch unless you are switching between satellites on one receiver. From your original post, you want BBC and ITV on your SL65 receiver.

Just remove the old analogue dish, screw the new minidish in its place.
If the cable looks in good condition, re -use it. If the cable's outer insulation is hard and brittle, replace the cable.
Use the minidish already on the wall as a guide to install your new one. Make sure the angle of the arm is the same, there may be some markings in degrees on the mount bracket.

Connect either two satellite receivers to the LNB, or just use one and
cover the spare. It may have a small cover to use for this.

er.. that's it.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The minidish is already in place snap, but it is worthwhile considering all options once the ladders are out. :)

billnot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
The only thing that I can add to the above explanation is that an octo LNB has 8 outputs.

sherry

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex, UK
Hi All,

I went up on my ladder today and although it was very difficult and scary, I managed to take my old Amstrad Sky dish down off the wall.
It was very heavy and it almost fell on me as I was sitting up on the conservatory roof with a socket set to undo the bolts that went into the wall. One of them sheared off but I managed to cope (just!) and the old dish is now on the ground.
I have the old cable with the f-connector? on ready for when I can face going up again(weather permitting) to try to fix the new dish and twin universal LNB which came in the kit. It rained very heavy for couple of hours just after I finished getting the dish down.
It was very awkward for me, I had to put some bits of unused kitchen cabinet on the plastic conservatory roof so it would spread my weight as I was frightened I might fall through!!
Also I can only just get up onto the roof with my ladder and I was frightened I might not be able to get down again, it was very scary for me. I had the ladder in an "A" formation(it is a 3 way type) but might try it in a lean to configuration next time. There is a gutter in the way and it is very awkward.
The old LNB says enhanced on it and is now a white cap but was once yellow if I remember correctly?

The new twin LNB has 2 connectors, I assume it does not matter which one I use? and I would just tape the other one up?

Not sure when I will next get a chance to fit it as weather not meant to be too good for next few days and I need to build my confidence up again as I panicked a bit when I nearly could not get off the roof on to the ladder(it was easier going up!) and I was afraid I might fall.

sherry x

sherry

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex, UK
rolfw said:
There are no analogue channels on Astra 28.2 East, so if you are no longer interested in receiving Eurosport, then by all means utilise the cable.

Hi rolfw,

Please could you confirm for me that there are definitely no analogue channels on the 28.2 satellite I will be pointing my new dish at, and that therefore there is no point in me leading another new cable from the old pace apollo analogue receiver to the new twin universal LNB and dish as it would not pick anything up?
If that is correct then I will just use the old existing cable to connect the new Silvercrest SL65 receiver to the new twin universal LNB and tape up the other connector.
The old receiver would then be useless and I can remove it from the lounge.
Have I got that correct rolfw??

sherry x

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Honest Sherry none on 28.2 check here for yourself, yes if you are not using the 2nd output tape it up with self amalgamating tape as electrical tape is not waterproof. I also think you should be proud of yourself doing what you are. Just take your time and don;t lose your footing. I must be honest I have not absorbed the whole thread but I assume you are not wanting to receive FTV and pay channels from sky as you are using the SL65?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
sherry said:
Hi rolfw,

Please could you confirm for me that there are definitely no analogue channels on the 28.2 satellite I will be pointing my new dish at, and that therefore there is no point in me leading another new cable from the old pace apollo analogue receiver to the new twin universal LNB and dish as it would not pick anything up?
If that is correct then I will just use the old existing cable to connect the new Silvercrest SL65 receiver to the new twin universal LNB and tape up the other connector.
The old receiver would then be useless and I can remove it from the lounge.
Have I got that correct rolfw??

sherry x

There's definately 100% guaranteed no analogue channels on Astra 2 at 28.2east (ok, I'm not rolfw!!!)... :D

As for your setup, as mentioned, it'd be easier to replace the LNB on your minidish with a Quad-output LNB (very simple to do) and run the cable from that instead of mucking about with the, possibly very rusted, 19.2e dish... :)

If you want to get rid of your apollo, just stick it on eBay and there's people out there who'll pay silly amounts for it... :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, there are definitely no analogue channels there. :)

Regarding the ladder work, if you really are not very confident about climbing the ladder, you should at the very least have another person there to foot and steady the ladder. Better still, either borrow a mini scaffold tower, or get someone else to do the height work, if you are concerned about falling, you will not work confidently and run more risk of an accident.

Edit. Oops, must concentrate on one thing at a time, got left a little behind here. :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
rolfw said:
Y
Edit. Oops, must concentrate on one thing at a time, got left a little behind here. :)

No Rolf others just felt like butting in ;)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
sherry said:
Hi All,

I went up on my ladder today and although it was very difficult and scary,
Not sure when I will next get a chance to fit it as weather not meant to be too good for next few days and I need to build my confidence up again as I panicked a bit when I nearly could not get off the roof on to the ladder(it was easier going up!) and I was afraid I might fall.

sherry x

Hi Sherry,
I know what you mean about scary. I hate ladders myself. Never fell off though as I only ever make it about half way up.:-rofl2

All three of my dishes I can touch by standing on tip toe, which makes adjustments, LNB changes, wiring etc a darn site easier and safer, no matter the weather.

Is there anywhere you could put the new dish in some easy to reach place (high enough to not bang your head on)? but still get a clear view of the satellite you want. Save you getting on that roof again.

Failing that, a quad LNB fitted to your existing Sky dish as already suggested, would certainly be a lot easier than drilling holes when balanced on some roof.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Topper said:
No Rolf others just felt like butting in ;)

Well, goats will be goats... :D

billnot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Robbo71 said:
Hi Sherry,
I know what you mean about scary. I hate ladders myself. Never fell off though as I only ever make it about half way up.:-rofl2

That makes three of us. There's a good reason why we put all our dishes on the ground!

The least time I went on my roof, I managed to break about twenty tiles. I don't think that has anything to do with me weighing 120 kilos, though :-rofl2

sherry

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex, UK
Hi All,

I didn't mean to sound like I thought you were all fibbing about the analogue channels on 28.2 just wanted to be sure as that means I won't need to run another cable and I will get rid of the old Apollo receiver.:)

Yes, very funny about being able to reach the dishes from the ground, that's where my old analogue one is right now!!:)

I wish like you say, I could put the new one somewhere on the wall I could reach whilst my tootsies are safely on the ground but alas there isn't anywhere I'm afraid because the conservatory is in the way.

Also although I understand what you are all saying about the multiple LNB and my existing sky minidish, as I have already said guys, it is higher up and totally out of my reach, so unless one of you is an undertaker touting for business that option is definately out:).

When I have the strength/courage and weather permitting I will see if I can fit the new dish bracket using one of the holes from the old dish and drilling 3 new holes. I need to be careful though as I have a security light up there as well and I must ensure it is not in the way.

When I have the dish up (being positive there:)) there is a beeper thing included in the kit for finding the satellite(come to think of it in the manual I think you can get the receiver to beep through the telly, or maybe I'm going mad?). If the weather is nice enough and I was able to get a portable Tv outside with the receiver etc connected and tuned to BBC1 London on 28.2 east satellite(which is where I left it when it was disconnected from the mains and old dish, so I hope it's still there!)) so I could see the picture would I be able to find the satellite that way? As I have the other sky dish to look at and copy it's position as far as I can to start with?

Thanks again for all of your help guys.

sherry x

sherry

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex, UK
Robbo71 said:
Hi Sherry,

All three of my dishes I can touch by standing on tip toe, which makes adjustments, LNB changes, wiring etc a darn site easier and safer, no matter the weather.

Is there anywhere you could put the new dish in some easy to reach place (high enough to not bang your head on)? but still get a clear view of the satellite you want. Save you getting on that roof again.

Failing that, a quad LNB fitted to your existing Sky dish as already suggested, would certainly be a lot easier than drilling holes when balanced on some roof.

Hi Robbo71,

Thank you for your concern!
My conservatory roof is flat and made of triple wall plastic? and there are flat metal bars joining the plastic sections together and ridges on the top of the roof where these bars are, making a sort of flat trough in between them. I remember when the installers put it up they said something about using battens? or something when ever you may need to get up on it.

My problem is getting up onto it and off of it onto the ladder as there is a gutter in the way on the side I need to put the dish up and I'm afraid I might fall through the roof when I'm on it. That's why I put the bits of kitchen cabinet up to distribute my weight whilst I sat on the roof(I've not stood up on it yet but I did kneel on it for a bit whilst undoing the bolts).

I got frightened when trying to get my feet back on the top of the ladder as I tried to get down as the ladder(in it's A configuration) was only just high enough for me to get up on the roof in the first place! and I was trying to twist my body and feel where my feet were coming down blind!!

I can't use the ladder as you would normally(leaning against at an angle) as the gutters in the way(it runs along one side and the front of the conservatory), so I might try to see if the ladders high enough if I put it just under the gutter for me to still be able to get on the roof!!
The other side does not have the gutter(so would be easier to get up and down from) but I would then have to try to get over to the side of the conservatory to where the dish needs to be and I would be more likely to fall through the roof!!

sherry x

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
sherry said:
When I have the dish up (being positive there:)) there is a beeper thing included in the kit for finding the satellite(come to think of it in the manual I think you can get the receiver to beep through the telly, or maybe I'm going mad?). If the weather is nice enough and I was able to get a portable Tv outside with the receiver etc connected and tuned to BBC1 London on 28.2 east satellite(which is where I left it when it was disconnected from the mains and old dish, so I hope it's still there!)) so I could see the picture would I be able to find the satellite that way? As I have the other sky dish to look at and copy it's position as far as I can to start with?

Thanks again for all of your help guys.

sherry x

From other's experience of the beeper, I'd bin it if I were you, it'll beep even if you point the dish at the ground!!! But yes, you're not mad in that the receiver can be set to beep as the signal gets stronger or weaker. It's a good idea to have a portable TV nearby (preferably one you're not fussed about dropping or something silly, but always use a circuit breaker if you take it outdoors) where you can see it to help you set up the dish, as you get pretty much near-live info on the dish's alignment and will help get the dish set up quicker... :)

But I would reccomend getting a cheap meter with a needle display, I have one myself and it's great for getting things going quickly as you can adjust the level of the beeping until you can't get it any louder when adjusting the dish... :D