hexes or keys

howard

Reaction score
can anyone tell me why some people use updatable keys or edit their files while others (inc. me) just prog a whole new hex file. What are the ads/disads ?
cheers
H

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
In my case as in many others i suspect not all files work for your system. It took be a while to find the one that would work for my setup as i have a pc based satellite system. I sometimes edit the files and this works fine, but then the files usually need updated at some point because of new instructions being sent out by the providers to disable the card etc. In this case a new released file is required.

atleast thats what i think :)

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
advantages of using auto-update:
- it automatically updates when keys change! By contrast, with fixed-key cards some kind of manual intervention is required to update keys periodically (eg re-programming the card, or entering new keys via the remote-control unit).

disadvantgages of auto-update:
- tends to be more complex code so can leave less room for actual keys in the eeprom/pic
- vulnerable to false-key updates by providers
- requires master/management/op-keys of some description to be known and they are much more difficult to come by (and more dangerous to publish) than the fixed keys.

2old