Hi, new guy in Spain, with newbie problems :-)

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish, 1 digital (K-Noor?) receiver
My Location
Barcelona, Spain
Hi all, I'm Ian and I'm in Barcelona

I'm also a bit clueless – sorry, but thought it best to clear that up from the start.
Err ahem, anyway.

I want to set up a dish and a kaon digital receiver I've got – I'm recently divorced and many years ago I set it up with a friend (who knew how to do it and has since moved away) and an analogue receiver – I replaced it with a newer digital one, which was easy enough as things were already aligned.

I want to get Eutelsat/hotbird (doubling up and getting astra would be nice too, nut not a huge priority)

I see it's '13º east' – sorry for the dumb question, but does that mean on a compass 13º after where the east thingy is marked.... or 13 after North, going east (someone told me this but it doesn't seem to make sense in relation to how it was set up before)...

What I want to know – in layman's (read 'for dummies') terms is

1) by the compass what direction I need to point it in
2) what azimut (that's the up and down thing right? :-) is correct in Barcelona, or at least somewhere close to get an idea? – I remember it was off the generic 45º, but I don't remember if it was a bit up or a bit down

RedAltoGL

Now leaving, thanks all.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
LNB, Dish, Motor, Cable, Receivers all taken down and donated to a newbie.
My Location
London
Hi

Welcome to the board.
The satellites as far as we are concerned in the Northern Hemisphere are all east or west of south seeing that they are located round the equator up in space.
Here is a link so that you can work out your look angles

_http://datlex.de/en/azel_calc-first_1.html

regards Redmund

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GoldMaster 7400 CIM 2MB with Kaon board 12.03.a5. Technomate 1000, Technomate 5200 USB.
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
Ian In Barcelona said:
Hi all, I'm Ian and I'm in Barcelona

I'm also a bit clueless – sorry, but thought it best to clear that up from the start.
Err ahem, anyway.

I want to set up a dish and a kaon digital receiver I've got – I'm recently divorced and many years ago I set it up with a friend (who knew how to do it and has since moved away) and an analogue receiver – I replaced it with a newer digital one, which was easy enough as things were already aligned.

I want to get Eutelsat/hotbird (doubling up and getting astra would be nice too, nut not a huge priority)

I see it's '13º east' – sorry for the dumb question, but does that mean on a compass 13º after where the east thingy is marked.... or 13 after North, going east (someone told me this but it doesn't seem to make sense in relation to how it was set up before)...

What I want to know – in layman's (read 'for dummies') terms is

1) by the compass what direction I need to point it in
2) what azimut (that's the up and down thing right? :-) is correct in Barcelona, or at least somewhere close to get an idea? – I remember it was off the generic 45º, but I don't remember if it was a bit up or a bit down

Which model Koan receiver have you? I have one in Turkey - I get the impression that they're not generally in the UK market - and I can download software upgrades, key changes etc....

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish, 1 digital (K-Noor?) receiver
My Location
Barcelona, Spain
Artist 2004 said:
Which model Koan receiver have you? I have one in Turkey - I get the impression that they're not generally in the UK market - and I can download software upgrades, key changes etc....

I've got a model that seems to put 'simple & speedy' as a model name

Where are you in Turkey? I've been there many times and am very fond of the country.

Ian

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GoldMaster 7400 CIM 2MB with Kaon board 12.03.a5. Technomate 1000, Technomate 5200 USB.
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
Ian In Barcelona said:
I've got a model that seems to put 'simple & speedy' as a model name

Where are you in Turkey? I've been there many times and am very fond of the country.

Ian

Dodging the bombs around Cesme / Izmir (including the ones that don't seem to be making it into the newspapers!)...

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Artist 2004 said:
Dodging the bombs around Cesme / Izmir (including the ones that don't seem to be making it into the newspapers!)...

Hello Artist, if you don't mind me asking just how bad is the bombing in Turkey, because as you say it's not making the papers here, well at least very little.
Thanks Rob

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
Rob said:
Hello Artist, if you don't mind me asking just how bad is the bombing in Turkey, because as you say it's not making the papers here, well at least very little.
Thanks Rob

There seems to be a policy in Turkey of minimising the reports of the various bombings, probably to try and minimise the benefits of publicity to the PKK (Kurdish terrorist group in the east), and probably to minimise the impact on tourism (although they seem to be doing a good job of that themselves by whacking huge taxes on alcohol. Wine is more expensive here than anywhere in Western Europe, except for Scandinavia)

Gameboy has a good link to the BBC, but that article only covers a single bomb in Kusadasi, albeit the most devastating of a series. In local papers it was relegated to a couple of inches at the bottom of a page.

Just from memory here are others that were not so significant, but all targeted at tourists. There are quite a few bombings but quite small scale.

April: Cesme (holiday town and port near Izmir), bomb killed one policeman.
3 or 4 weeks ago: Cesme again, bomb in litter bin in town square lightly injured several.
2 weeks ago: Cesme port: a percussion bomb (I drove past it minutes after it happened, police everywhere, no injuries)
Same day: Altinkum (not far from Cesme) percussion bomb, no injuries, but locals afraid now.
Yesterday: Istanbul: large explosion wrecking some cars and killing some people, but cause uncertain (could be gas).
A couple of days ago: Antalya: two bombs.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Artist 2004 said:

Thought I had better put the quote in as it might look that I am hi-jacking the thread.
Thanks for the info Artist it's just that I might be going to Turkey on holiday next month, so I will bring my "bodyguards" as well. ;)

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
Rob said:
Thought I had better put the quote in as it might look that I am hi-jacking the thread.
Thanks for the info Artist it's just that I might be going to Turkey on holiday next month, so I will bring my "bodyguards" as well. ;)
The Foreign & Commonwealth Office has a nearly complete list on its website, copied and pasted below (doesn't include the two small ones that were near me, though):
  • On 6 August Turkish police announced that they had arrested 5 men in the southern town of Mersin in the process of preparing for attacks on government buildings as well as facilities of touristic and economic significance. A quantity of explosives and bomb making materials were also seized.
  • On 4 August, a device exploded in the Pendik district (Asian side) of Istanbul killing two people and injuring 4 others. No foreign nationals were involved.
  • On 2 August, two explosions in the coastal resort of Antalya, southern Turkey, injured seven people.
  • On 23 July, a small-scale device exploded in a restaurant in the Galata area of Istanbul injuring two people.
  • On 16 July, an explosion on a minibus in the western Turkish resort of Kusadasi killed five people including one British national; five British nationals were also injured.
  • On 11 July, an explosion in the coastal resort of Cesme, western Turkey, injured 20 people including a British national.
  • On 2 July, five railway workers were killed and some 15 injured when a postal train was derailed by a bomb near Suveren station in the Bingol district of eastern Turkey.
  • On 1 July, a suicide bomber was shot and killed by Turkish police outside the Ministry of Justice in Ankara.
  • On 11 May, a device exploded outside a bank in the Bağcılar district of Istanbul. There were no casualties.
  • On 30 April, a device exploded in Kusadasi, near Izmir. Five police officers attending a suspicious package were injured. One later died in hospital.
  • On 27 April, two bombs with timers were discovered in central Istanbul by Turkish authorities and destroyed under controlled conditions. There were no casualties. One device was attached to a road bridge; the other was in a bus station.
  • Between 15 and 18 April, small-scale devices exploded in Adana, Antalya, Istanbul and Sakarya (Adapazari). Devices were placed near to bank machines, the offices of a political party and two hotels. One person was injured when a device exploded outside a hotel in Antalya on 15 April.
  • On 7 December 2004, three improvised explosive devices exploded in Istanbul, one outside a branch of HSBC, another near a police station by the airport, the third outside private commercial premises. There were no casualties.
  • On 21-22 November 2004, similar devices exploded outside branches of HSBC and Citibank in Istanbul. There were no casualties.
  • On 28 September 2004, devices exploded outside HSBC branches in Istanbul, Izmir and Adana, as well as outside the Turkish-American Association in Ankara. A security guard was injured in the Izmir blast.
  • On 19 September 2004, a bomb in Mersin injured 19 people.
  • On 23 August 2004, a bomb in Antalya yacht harbour killed one person and injured another.
  • On 10 August 2004, two bombs exploded in hotels in the Laleli and Sultanahmet areas of Istanbul. Two people were killed and eleven people, including several foreign nationals, were injured.
  • On 29 June 2004, cleaners were injured when a device exploded on board a Turkish Airlines plane parked at Istanbul airport.
  • On 24 June 2004, a bomb on a public bus in Istanbul killed four people.
  • On 20 May 2004, a bomb exploded outside a McDonald’s branch in Istanbul. There were no casualties.
But worse than all that, the price of beer and wine has soared!
Happy holidays!

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
Artist 2004 said:
But worse than all that, the price of beer and wine has soared!
Happy holidays!

It's that last bit that has me really worried.
;)

Mind you with all that going on, you might be safer on the London Underground.