Hi

My Satellite Setup
sky+
My Location
UK
Hello All!

Can I start off by saying that I am totally new to this forum and sat tv in general.

I've heard so much about dreambox that I wanted to find out for myself what it is. So, if there are any enlightened souls who could explain what the hell a dreambox does and how do I get one, I'd appreciate it a lot!

At the moment I have sky+, but all this talk of free channels is making me wonder what I'm missing out on.

I've looked around on other sites trying to find out what I need to buy in order to get on the bandwagon. I have to say I'm a little confused.

Again, any info on this would make me very happy indeed!

Regards,

Dhillon

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Welcome to the forum :)

The Guide sort of tells you what it can do.

To join the club you need a Dreambox (500, 5620, 7000, 7020, 7025 and some time soon an 8000 that does HD): 500s is the cheapest. They all open (or not) the same channels. s= satellite, c= c a b l e, t= terrestrial.

Plus a dish and a motor.

Have a read through this section as well. But unless you buy one it's a bit like talking about a car but never having driven one.

My Satellite Setup
sky+
My Location
UK
Thanks mhku,

Ok, I looked into the 500 version like you said its the cheapest... would i need to buy anything else? I already have a sky dish and sky+... Is it worth looking for one on e bay... I saw some advertised there?

Thanks!

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
There's three parts to this:

1. what is satellite TV all about?
2. What do I need to watch satellite TV?
3. How do I use a Dreambox?

1+2 you'll have to work out yourself (read, read and read) or wait for someone else more helpful to come along ;)

To use a Dreambox you need:

A Dreambox e.g. 500s
A dish, LNB, mount, cable and fittings.
A motor is optional but a good idea.

Are you technically minded and competent with a PC. A basic understanding of networking will help as well.

Yes, there are 1000's of channels. Most are not in English. There are "free" channels but what is open changes on a daily basis and they can (and have) all disappear for months.

So read around this and all the other sections to get a feel for it.

Beware of Dreambox clones on e bay.