hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Hi,

I've recently started down the road of sorting out decent sound for the TV. It's a Philips 76xx from 2010 or so; the picture isn't bad but obviously the sound is pretty awful. I've been conducting a fair amount of research and already have more questions than my Google mojo can find answers for. Can any of our esteemed members suggest a decent forum for my needs, preferably one where the signal/noise ratio is high as per here and where the expert/arsehole ratio is also high, as per here :) Not fussed where it's based although considering I'll be buying in Europe I guess a UK or French forum would be the most useful. Unfortunately my German is nowhere near strong enough to venture into a German forum.

I don't require an audiophile forum and will be buying mid-range gear; as an example I already have an amp - Yamaha RX-V477 - and the L/R speakers - KEF T301. I'll be adding a centre speaker (almost certainly another T301) and a subwoofer shortly (when I can decide on what I want! All I know at the moment is that I don't want the sub (KEF T2) that goes with the speakers). The rear surround speakers will have to wait for a total living room reconfiguration :) I'd like the final setup to be decent for listening to music as well - I listen across the spectrum from metal to Mozart.

Your thoughts, gentlemen?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
Don't forget to throw in a Pioneer PL-400 turntable...:D
If I still have any records they'll be at my parents' house in the UK and in any case will be 1980s rubbish. Kylie ring any bells?☺ (in my defence I was in my early teens)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
A

Archive-8

I know that Facebook has a lot of hi-go groups.

I have just upgraded my hi-if.

Quad elite pre-amp, 2x Quad elite mono amps. Marantz ud7007 disk player, pro-ject turntable, teac cd-r w, Yamaha cassette deck.

Still have to upgrade my streamer as it is a pioneer N-50 & mini dac, and the latest edition is b&w 683 s2.

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
I have just upgraded my Hi Fi Video system with a Denon PMA 720 AE Amp + Sound Lab GO56C Turntable that is really an Audio Technica ATLP120USB USB Turntable + Focal Chorus 714 V Floor-Standing Speakers,
Truly amazing audio via LP's & DVD's + Technics Cassette deck + Teac usb CD player recordings via the USB also wired all 9 video units into the audio inputs to the Denon.

Last edited:
A

Archive-8

I have just upgraded my Hi Fi Video system with a Denon PMA 720 AE Amp + Sound Lab GO56C Turntable that is really an Audio Technica ATLP120USB USB Turntable + Focal Chorus 714 V Floor-Standing Speakers,
Truly amazing audio via LP's & DVD's + Technics Cassette deck + Teac usb CD player recordings via the USB also wired all 9 video units into the audio inputs to the Denon.
I looked at some of the focal range, I was very tempted. But then I read about harbeth, found out the price and went for the b&w'a in the end.

Sounds like a good system you have.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
I know that Facebook has a lot of hi-go groups.
I have just upgraded my hi-if.
Quad elite pre-amp, 2x Quad elite mono amps. Marantz ud7007 disk player, pro-ject turntable, teac cd-r w, Yamaha cassette deck.
Still have to upgrade my streamer as it is a pioneer N-50 & mini dac, and the latest edition is b&w 683 s2.
Aargh - yes, facebook. I don't "do" Facebook and have managed to avoid it thus far, but needs must and all that :)

Glad to see you have a cassette deck. I read this http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/30/50_years_of_the_compact_cassette/ the other day :)

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
I looked at some of the focal range, I was very tempted. But then I read about harbeth, found out the price and went for the b&w'a in the end.

Sounds like a good system you have.
I've been blown away by the money that can be spent on high-end audio kit. I could quite easily blow the equivalent of the price of a decent new motorbike on tickling my ears :) Plus the WAF is much, much higher with bikes in our house....

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
the cassette deck is an old Yamaha KX-W362 is is 23 years old now :)
Some years ago I threw out my father's old Technics kit of 1980 or so vintage because I just didn't have space for it :(

The speakers were http://www.thevintageknob.org/technics-SB-F1.html or something very close. I think the amp was this http://www.thevintageknob.org/technics-C01.html, the tuner had a digital display and there was also a tape unit and a turntable. I keep hoping that I'm kidding myself that I binned it and I'll find it one day in a forgotten corner of the garage...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I upgraded my system today :).

Old system :)
DSCN5508.JPG

new:)
DSCN7313.JPG

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
You'll never get that Bush radio to play a 78 though.....(I can remember repairing the original Bush radios like that when I was an apprentice)

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I am looking forward to restoring the gramophone Pete, I don't know when I will get round to it though.