Advice Needed Hotbird alignment with zone 1 minidish

pauljbl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm500 hd
My Location
uk
Hi
I am trying to align hotbird with my zone 1 minidish and have found some transponders have better snr with dish moved slightly to the left and some transponders are stronger with the dish moved slightly to the right is this normal I thought they would be all stronger in one set position?

Is a zone 1 dish big enough for hotbird I am in West Wales? Some transponders I can only get 57% and drop out in rain.

Would appreciate some advice or if there is best transponder to tune dish to?

Thanks

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Did you remember to skew, rotate, your LNB slightly, to get the strongest signal?

pauljbl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm500 hd
My Location
uk
Yes I did skew the lnb

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
A zone 1 is a bit undersized for 13E on the periphery of the UK for the dvb-s2 transponders. I use an 80cm up here in the Scottish Borders to get an acceptable signal. The new birds on this slot didnt really make much difference to signal levels here

pauljbl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm500 hd
My Location
uk
A zone 1 is a bit undersized for 13E on the periphery of the UK for the dvb-s2 transponders. I use an 80cm up here in the Scottish Borders to get an acceptable signal. The new birds on this slot didnt really make much difference to signal levels here
Whats you're lowest snr you get with your 80cm dish?

pauljbl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm500 hd
My Location
uk
I don't understand why I can move the dish and some transponders are stronger in different positions to others any ideas why? And what transponder I should adjust for best strength?

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Which of the satellite group are the transponders on? It is not just one satellite at 13E. Check on Lyngsat or Flysat.

pauljbl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm500 hd
My Location
uk
Which of the satellite group are the transponders on? It is not just one satellite at 13E. Check on Lyngsat or Flysat.
Yes they are on different sats at 13e is this why some are stronger at different positions? I thought they were so close together that you would not notice the difference

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
You need to check each transponder, as mentioned above, lyngsat is a good place to start:
Code:
https://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-Hot-Bird-13B-13C-13E.html
Check the signal quality level, of various transponders, but as Analoguesat has pointed out you might be better off with a bigger dish, given your location.

pauljbl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm500 hd
My Location
uk
Yes have been checking quality of different transponders but when I make some transponders better it makes other transponders worse so unsure of which ones to make best quality

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Yes have been checking quality of different transponders but when I make some transponders better it makes other transponders worse so unsure of which ones to make best quality
Obviously those with the channels you want to watch - if not possible because of multiple positions required then either comprommise midway between them or get a larger dish. I used to use a 60cm dish but suffered rain fade particularly on the HD channels that i now use an 80cm with 19.2 on an offset lnb.