How Difficult Is It To Install A New Receiver?

T

TheFrog

My Satellite Setup
VU + DUO with 500gb PVR
My Location
SW France
I am a complete newbie to satellite. I have a motorised system operated by a SVM 5990 Motor which is DiSEqC 1.2 & USALS. The currect set-up is USALS driven.

If I wanted to change my receiver, would it be a terribly difficult task? (I am thinking of something like the Technomate or Humax). Whilst reasonably competent in computer problems, I know absolutely knap all about satellite and don't want to start something I cannot finish.

I did try searching but came up with nothing specific to my question.

closetosoton

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
since your motor is already set up, and presuming you pull in all the sats you wish at reasonable levels then a simple receiver upgrade shouldn't be a problem. since you're half computer savvy it shouldn't be too much hassle. go for it. USALS isn't a must have, but it helps in finding the sats, since your motor already follows the arc (hopefully) it would be just a case of fine tuning the positions manually.

-cts

T

TheFrog

My Satellite Setup
VU + DUO with 500gb PVR
My Location
SW France
Thanks Closetosoton - I certainly needed a bit of assurance. Think I'll give it a whirl and keep my fingers crossed.

Should I set my dish at a particular satellite/channel to start?

closetosoton

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
TheFrog said:
Thanks Closetosoton - I certainly needed a bit of assurance. Think I'll give it a whirl and keep my fingers crossed.

Should I set my dish at a particular satellite/channel to start?
i would leave the dish on a known satellite before starting a channel scan on that satellite. if your new receiver has USALS, to find the next one will be easy (in theory). if not, i think there is probably a manual drive for the motor whilst you monitor signal strenght for the next sat you're looking for, when its at best store the position and scan that one too & repeat ad infinitum.

-cts

T

TheFrog

My Satellite Setup
VU + DUO with 500gb PVR
My Location
SW France
Thanks again closetosoton. Appreciate your help and advice.

rolfw

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Always best to drive the motor to zero, using the diseqC command, then you know exactly where you are and the new receiver starts from that position as well. :)

T

TheFrog

My Satellite Setup
VU + DUO with 500gb PVR
My Location
SW France
Thanks Rolfw - I've got one heck of a lot to learn about this 'hobby'! Is it worth subscribing to "What Satellite" ? Would I gain any more info than I have on this forum?