Advice Needed How do I change images?

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
98cm motorised technomate. 50e to 34.5w
My Location
Europe
Hi all,
Back again. With Blackhole no longer being supported and it not having Python3 capability, it’s a matter of time before some aspects and plugins stop working. Moving to OpenBH is probably best because it’s going to be most familiar. However, everywhere I read I can only see guides about how to install from scratch. How do I change images?

I want to minimise the loss of what I have (channels, epg assignments, some plugins) - what do I need to back up and how? I have my lamedb file, but I don’t know if that will work with a new image.

Thanks for any advice.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
You can back up your channels, and bouquets, using dreamboxedit, everything else you will need to set up manually. It is not advised to use backups, when trying a new image, especially from python 2, to python 3.
Some older plugins might not work, as they might never be updated to python 3.
You can try OpenBh as a multiboot option, via a USB stick, so that Blackhole is still stored in your receivers memory, but you will still need to set it all up, on booting.

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
Thanks.
Not sure to bother with multiboot if I need to redo it later anyway.
Is it feasible to back up everything including image just in case?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
It all depends on your system, and what you have loaded.
On the latet openBh images, like 5.0, and 5.1, you can download softcams via the plugin menu. If you use Kodi, I would use OpenBh 5.0, as that still downloads Kodi 19.4, OpenBh 5.1 downloads kodi 20, which doesn't have as many working addons.
You will also need to set a password, which can be anything, and you can do this via the network section, in the menu, you need a password to get some of the Enigma 2 tools to work, like dreamboxedit, Filezilla, etc..

Do you have a motorized dish, fixed dish, or several dish/LNB's with diseqc switches? Go into your menu and make a note of tuner, and other settings.
You might also want to copy your files, from etc/tuxbox/configs, by connecting with Filezilla, from your PC, and copying them to your PC desktop.

OpenBh is similar to Blackhole, but allows you a lot more options, for setting up.

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
Not bothered about Kodi but happy to go with 5.0 if it has more plugins.

I’ve got a motorised dish with the arc from 37.5w to 50e.

I’ve used FileZilla a lot before; it’s how I do some updates and also use echannelizer which creates the lamedb backups. But just to be sure I’ve got a dbedit backup too.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
I use dreamboxedit, to download, and edit, my channel list.
Do you use USALS or Diseqc 1.2, to control your dish?
It might take you a few minutes to add all the motor positions, if using Diseqc 1.2, as I have to do it quite often I can do it quite quickly.

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
I use USALS though to be honest Diseqc would be better! Not sure if the box supports it.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Your receiver, and image, support all types of settings, including Diseqc 1, Diseqc 1.2, and USALS.
I am forced to use Diseqc 1.2, as I have a 36v motor, 4 separate electrical type wires, from the motor, to a V-BoxII, which connects to my receiver via a co-ax cable, thus allowing my receiver to drive the motor.
USALS is a lot easier to set up, as with Diseqc 1.2 you have to manually drive the dish, using the receiver options, to a satellite, save it, as a number, from 1-99, then go to the next satellite, and continue on, the advnatage of a V-BoxII is that it has the satellite positions stored, so I don't have to drive the dish, everytime I flash a fresh image.
Stick to USALS, but check that your Latitude, and longitude, are correct, remember negative Longitude readings = West, positive = East.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
If you want to learn how to get the most out of Kodi, including downloading television, and films, I'd be happy to help.

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
Bumping with a question - I’ve had openbh for a while and it’s decent, but for some reason in the past few days on IPTV channels there is permanently a “Buffering” message in the top left of the screen, even though there is no problem with buffering. It’s quite annoying. Does anybody know how to get rid of it? I’ve gone through all the settings and can’t see an issue.

Attachments

• C994178C-FC3D-41F7-BA23-0009478773D6.jpeg
    C994178C-FC3D-41F7-BA23-0009478773D6.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 13

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham
I haven't had a problem with open vix. The latest image for your receiver can be find on their website. You install the image file to a flash drive and plug it in at the front of the receiver. Turn the receiver off at the switch at the back and turn it back on. If all goes right the front panel should say press power button to install image.