how do i know what sat im looking at

ams13

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 7000
not installed yet but will be soon
My Location
southern england
hi i know this may seem a silly question but i can find satellites with my meter but dont know what they are im trying to locate thor soo i can setup my motorised system. i have a dreambox 7000s can anybody please help many thanks

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
As a starting point try and post a few channel names with frequencies polarisation FEC etc and someone may be able to help, as you have not given any information at all you can hardly expect a reply from anyone apart from a clairevoyant

ams13

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 7000
My Location
southern england
if i had any channels i would tell you. the sat meter goes wild i fine tune it and then i come down the ladder. but after that i dont know what to do. maybe i should have posted this in the dreambox section i think i must be doing something simple wrong. i think i just need to confirm how i set up the reciever. i go to satfind and put in thor 1w and still no joy i may have the transponder setting wrong or be looking at a different sat so thats why i asked the question how would i know which sat i was looking at. thanks for any help

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
OK, you find some target transponders for several satellites in the general direction of where the dish is pointing, got to www.lyngsat.com, then do a transponder scan using the information you have found and one of them should successfully find some channels.

Licinius

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500CI+
My Location
Andalucia, Spain
This is very helpful, first find your location here http://www.heavens-above.com/selecttown.asp?CountryID=UK&lat=0&lng=0&alt=0&loc=Unspecified&TZ=CET then insert the settings into here http://www.hansa-electronic.com/satcalceng.asp & slowly but surely everything is starting to make sense :D

I was meant to be installing my new system this w/end but the courier messed up & delivered it to someone in Lancaster instead (citylink for you). Long story short is its done me a favour. Like most blokes I just dig in blindly & make it up as I go so I'd have been on the roof breaking tiles & screaming :-rofl2

Now however I've had chance to do some research & it might not be so painful O-Ha O-Ha O-Ha

ams13

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 7000
My Location
southern england
well that looks a good site. however thanks to rolfw i was away i did an auto transponder scan and they all came in. its amazing how many channels there are. now i need to read up on images and get this dreambox networked.
thank you all