bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
darkbox rev2007 Reciever + old pace sky box
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
re my darkbox hd recorded progs these seem to be ts files , can anybody point me to a "Simple" plug in to make these play on windows media 10 player
i have hunted Google for info trying various progs recommended ,but nothing seems to work, I have tried nvidia dvd. and elcard ,they are described as plug ins ,but don't seem to work as such ,

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
bwizz said:
re my darkbox hd recorded progs these seem to be ts files , can anybody point me to a "Simple" plug in to make these play on windows media 10 player
i have hunted Google for info trying various progs recommended ,but nothing seems to work, I have tried nvidia dvd. and elcard ,they are described as plug ins ,but don't seem to work as such ,

I am assming that you are copying the ts files to your PC.
Nero Showtime will play *.ts files.
There is a 15 days evaluation, if you don't have it.

bwizz

bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
I tried showtime it did not work ,I trying to play the the files from a usb hd

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
VLC and Media Player Classic will play .ts files or try renaming to .mpg

bwizz

bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
How big is media player classic ,is this more advanced than mp10
what is vlc
thanks all

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
VLC = Video Lan. Google either to download them. MPC is tiny and VLC plays damn near anything. I've no idea how they compare to MP10 as I've never used it.

bwizz

bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
I have just tried vlc ,when trying to play ,I get the same error message unrecognised format , have you actually tried this with material from a darkbox?
thanks

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I tested both with .ts files; if VLC can't open a .ts file from a Darkbox then it must be a different .ts format.

Try GOM Media Player - it is supposed to play Drabox .ts files but I can't test it.

bwizz

bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
Tried gom this works fine on computer , might sound strange but i now need to figure out how to send the files whilst playing. to my tv ,"in another room" ,thats why I was looking for a plug in . I will try later and report back , I wonder what type of ts file they actually are ,Reason for asking is I have a Thompson hd recorder which i have been trying "with no success "to copy to computer the files on it.
thanks for help

Tsiklon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
My Location
Europe
Are the programs SD or HD?

VLCplayer usually works with SD .ts files but generally has problems with HD .ts files e.g. BBCHD. Media Player Classic with the proper codec installed usually works fine.

Good HD codecs are CoreAVC or Cyberlink Powerdvd 7.X

bwizz

bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
Files on Thomson FV box are sd , are you meaning microsoft media player classic ?

bwizz

bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
I have a new problem now , before I was testing recorded material on a 2gig usb stick ,now i have recorded tv material onto usb remote hard drive ,i can see and play stuff back from usb/hd on the dark box , but the computer "same one as previously" does not see any of this material , also another quirk is that mp3 fles recorded onto the usb hd are not seen by the darkbox , mp3's recorded on the usb stick are seen fine , weird or what?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
bwizz said:
I have a new problem now , before I was testing recorded material on a 2gig usb stick ,now i have recorded tv material onto usb remote hard drive ,i can see and play stuff back from usb/hd on the dark box , but the computer "same one as previously" does not see any of this material , also another quirk is that mp3 fles recorded onto the usb hd are not seen by the darkbox , mp3's recorded on the usb stick are seen fine , weird or what?

Suggest to try copying some files to the HDD and see what happens.
Perhaps I am mistaken, but so far you have only tried to play the files using various applications with the files residing on the USB flash stick.
My guess is that, as a USB interface is not as fast as with local HDD, you will always run into these kind of problems, especially with HD files as they are heavier and need more resources.
MP3 files are not as heavy as HD or SD, so they play fine.

bwizz

bwizz
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
70 CM OVAL DISH
multi lnb
My Location
Cornwall UK
I have just done a bit more experimenting ,seems the darkbox only sees older files recorded on it from the computer I have just dragged a couple of random files of the type which are already on it and they are not seen ,but strangely sees the tv material it has recorded .maybe I should format the disk with the dark box utility, i raelly must get my head round this as th e whole point of the box's pvr was to play files back through the computer .