How do I Select a Programmer?

Shaun

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
How do I select a programmer (for Fun Cards that will be used in a Magic Module)? There must be some differentiating criteria that I can apply. Being a newbie, I think ease of use has to be high on my list along with how well supported the programmer is in terms of software and the number of fellow users able to lend a hand when things get a bit scary. Do any programmers come to mind? or should I just put them all into a hat and pull out one at random?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Shaun,

Ease of use.......several of them.

Number of fellow users.......Elvis by far

Capable of programming most cards......Several of them

Value for money.......Elvis (in my opinion).

goffy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi Shaun,

I am a newby to progamming aswell. But have learnt a fair bit over the last week. I was sure I would have problems. My first ever programmer arrived today and after a small amount of head-scratching I succeeded in programming a gold card with seca files. I thought it wasnt working but it just took a while for the picture to unscramble . The programmer is an Infinity USB(cost £59 and easy to use) and came with a software disk and free software upgrades can be downloaded from the manufacturers website, its also user friendly. I was confused about wether to use internal or external eeprom files and the first two sets of files I loaded didnt work (or perhaps I just didnt give the picture long enough time to clear before assuming the upgrade had failed) but thats down to me being a newbie not the fault of the Infinity. It even tells you which type of chips are on the card to be programmed so you know what files to use. Also the dealers website had a very simple step by step guide on how to do it available only to customers who have bought the programmer. I have not tried programming my funcard yet as I am still waiting for a magic cam. Theres more info and two links in my post further down this board headed "new pogrammer, any good?" if your interested. I was abit worried buying such a new model but it must be easy to use if I can use it!

In fact I am having second thoughts about the magic cam due to all the channels changing to mk2 encryption. Can anyone give me a clue as to whether Seca2, Irdeto2, Via2 will eventually be available on magic cam & funcard combination? I am itching to have a magic cam but am worried that in a few months time it will only be usable with official cards. Any ideas on this?

Shaun

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
Many thanks,
I have to say I was leaning towards the Elvis programmer, but I quite like the idea of a USB programmer. Its difficult for me to get to the back of my PC to plug in a serial cable and I also like the idea of not having to plug in yet another power supply. I notice many of the infinity USB programmers are supplied without covers, but one supplier does provide it with a cover. Is this a recent improvment? or they different programmers?

goffy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Shaun,

Mine came with a hard black plastic casing around the components. The whole unit is only about the size of a box of fags. The manufacturers made it like that so I dont know if the ones without covers are perhaps made by someone else. Mines got a proper manufacters warranty and CE symbol. Its made by WB Electronics if you want to try and find out from thier site. The software on the disc that came with mine was out of date but it automaticly gave me the option to download the new version from WBs website. I got mine from nesat btw and the bloke said they had been selling very fast.