How do you view encoded feeds?

tyshaunty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Normal computer, Sky satellite
I'm not after free advice, I'm happy to pay a decent whack to anyone who actually has the answers to this

I want to watch encoded feeds (422 and 420 feeds), mainly football and tennis.

Now I'm as certain as I can be that its possible, I just want to know how its done and what equipment I need

I'd ideally like a professional to give me advice on what I need to buy etc, for which I'd pay them for their time

I'm sure most people don't like to give information away on here for free, and thats fine.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated

Cheers

iwol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
channel master 1.2m dish
technomate 6900,,and invacom 0.3 quad lnb
satlook micro
My Location
yorkshire
hi theres loads of free advice on here to watch a 4:2:2 feed you need something like the qualitv receiver for the 4:2:0 feed i think a normal receiver will do

tyshaunty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Cheers for that

I've got a quali-tv receiver, so I can watch the 422 and 420 feeds. However, I can't watch anything which is encrypted at the moment

How do I get those feeds?

iwol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
channel master 1.2m dish
satlook micro
My Location
yorkshire
sorry with you now i asked the same question when i first got the quali and the answer i got was you cant decode these feeds by the way what do you think of the quali receiver i only use mine as a feed receiver it seems to be on a delay when u change channels

tyshaunty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
It does the job I need it for. Its nothing special, but does what I want at the moment

I'd happily pay a lot more money for something which gets me more feeds tho

tyshaunty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Oh, and if someone isnt happy about posting information on here, then please feel free to "private mail" me

Obviously this is sensitive information and people might not want it broadcast around a forum

iwol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
channel master 1.2m dish
satlook micro
My Location
yorkshire
guess theres not enough interest for people to try to hack the feeds shame

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
They can be encoded in anything, notably Videoguard RAS and PowerVu as these are not available to the hobbyist normally and are used for 'senitive' stuff like premiereship feeds. There are some that are Biss encoded and a Skystar will be able to deal with 4:2:2 Biss. However, unless they use the same Biss key on each transmission then there is not enough time to 'bruteforce' the key by reading the transport stream (which can take months but is possible).

L.:)

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
Lot, Dordogne, Correze border.
I think that the Nokias are good for 4:2:2
The Dbox can stream over SCSI and can be decoded, the Dbox2 can stream over ethenet, and the dreambox can show direct 4:2:2 to TV.
I also believe that most DVB players can decode 4:2:2 with the elecard codec, but I haven't tried it yet.

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7025 + 90cm Fibo Dish with Moteck SG2100A mod + Inverto White 0.3dB lnb + 55cm Philips Gregorian + Stab HH-120 + modded BGSat 0.3dB lnb
My Location
Worcs
Low Profile said:
dreambox can show direct 4:2:2 to TV.

What image do I need as it doesn't work on Gemini or pli? I beleive it has been attempted, but there isn't enought processing power available. It may be that the 7025 can do it tho.

tyshaunty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Low Profile said:
I think that the Nokias are good for 4:2:2
The Dbox can stream over SCSI and can be decoded, the Dbox2 can stream over ethenet, and the dreambox can show direct 4:2:2 to TV.
I also believe that most DVB players can decode 4:2:2 with the elecard codec, but I haven't tried it yet.

Does that mean that the Nokias will show me encrypted feeds?

What is a DBox2?

And what is a DVB player?

Please excuse my ignorance on all of this, I haven't got much clue about it as I'm only just starting to get into all my satellite stuff. Still, I've got to learn somewhere

Thanks for all the help so far everyone, much appreciated

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
tyshaunty said:
Does that mean that the Nokias will show me encrypted feeds?

What is a DBox2?

And what is a DVB player?

Not if they are in RAS / NDS / PowerVu or any of the other ultra secure systems.

DBox 2 is another linux based box.

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
Lot, Dordogne, Correze border.
So far as I understand, most nokias can decode 4:2:2
Whether they can decode the encryption within the 4:2:2 will depend on the type of encryption used.
The Dbox2 is the receiver that was released between the original Dbox and the dreambox.
A DVB player is a software video player that is usually used on a computer, effectively you get the satellite signal to the computer either on a data bus such as SCSI or ethernet, or in the case of a Skystar satellite receiver card directly onto the PCI bus, the software then displays the video, and with the right codecs can show 4:2:2 signals. I believe that atleast some of the dreamboxes can decode 4:2:2 directly to TV, though I haven't tried myself..
DVB players that are available for example are: 'ProgDVB', 'DVBdream' (my favourite) or 'DVBviewer'. DVB players generally use the computer as a display unless you have a 'video out' on your video card. DVB players can also have 'plug-ins' that can decode certain encryptions, and have the bonus that you can record directly onto your hard drive.

tyshaunty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thanks for all this help, very much appreciated. I sort of understand some of it, if not all. I am learning tho!!! :)

So does anyone know exactly what set up I'd need to watch in particular the tennis feeds which get encrypted. This is pretty much exclusively for Grand Slam tournaments, the feeds arent encrypted the rest of the time

At the moment, i just have the Quali-TV box and a motorised dish, no cards etc. Would the encryption be the same every day? Or would they use a different type?

And these methods of getting pictures on your pc, would that be faster or slower than getting them on your tv? I wasn't sure if there was a difference in speed. Happy to watch pictures either on my pc or tv, whichever is faster

Thanks again

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
We need to see the feed at the time, to determine the encryption method used.

You can do both if your PC has 'video out' on the graphics card.

L.:)

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7025 + 90cm Fibo Dish with Moteck SG2100A mod + Inverto White 0.3dB lnb + 55cm Philips Gregorian + Stab HH-120 + modded BGSat 0.3dB lnb
My Location
Worcs
Low Profile said:
I believe that atleast some of the dreamboxes can decode 4:2:2 directly to TV, though I haven't tried myself..

I can watch 4:2:2 on my dreambox by streaming it to my pc, and decoding it there, but I can't watch it directly on my tv :(

tyshaunty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
So If I post up here the next time when there is an encrypted feed, someone will be able to tell me what kind of encryption it is will they? And if it can be viewed?

Thanks