how easy to get 5W satellite 15m south of glasgow

RobTi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
Scotland
Hi looking to set up my dish and tried to tune into 5w and can't seem to get anything, so before i spend hours tweaking this should i be able to get 5w form here, with a 1m and a black ultra?

Robert

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Absolutely! Until 1N came into service, the 5W slot was the strongest avaialble in the UK.

I have a Zone1 minidish for it and the signal is immense in N.E England.

1m is overkill by a long way - indeed, perhaps the concomitant narrow beamwidth is the problem?

Don't forget it is your South Satellite, so a few degrees higher in elevation than say 28E and 13E.

Dish face should be perhaps a little up from vertical. (You did remember that the dish has an offset LNB arm ??)

Any pics?

Attachments

• Offset Dish.jpg
    Offset Dish.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 34

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
1m???? Blimey that overdoing it for 5W by several dish sizes even here in southern Scotland!

At the very most you need a 60cm and as Tivu says a scaffy old Sky zone 1 minidish is more than enough

:D

RobTi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
Scotland
Untitled.jpgThanks this is for my reference satellite Longitude: -4.0758° and i can't seem to find it.

i have a few thin trees around 30m+ and used to get 0.8w years ago but have now resited the dish and upgraded the motor and lnb.

So i have set up the following 55.8 latitude for the motor and the dish mount is roughly 27.

It just i have been manually moving the dish round the mount (loosened motor bracket onto mount) but cant get a hit

Any ideas i was going to ask if there were any other sats but if 5w is that strong i am out of ideas

Robert

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I bet you've actually set the 55.8 for the Motor against the wrong scale ..... on one side is a scale marked in Elevation: Ignore this and use the one actually directly marked in Latitude.

This is why I asked if there were any pics .............. but if the dish face is pointing noticeably upwards, that would confirm the wrong scale being used.

Also, you'll probably need, when aligning, to adjust the 27 deg on the dish bracket as they are always mechanical errors due to pole not plumb, the presence of brackets, poor scale calibration etc. Treat 27 merely as a starting point.

RobTi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
Scotland
DSC_0063.jpg
Any help

Robert

Attachments

• DSC_0062.jpg
    DSC_0062.jpg
    931.2 KB · Views: 53

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yup!

Except I can't see the Motor`scale clearly, nor whether it says Elevation or Latitude!

But you can check that for yourself.

The dish face looks in the right ball-park, however, so I think you'll just need to adjust the dish bracket from its nominal 27.

ie Align in the same way as for a fixed dish, but (as you are doing) moving the motor'dish as one around the mount to get the correct Azimuth and adjusting the dish elevation alone (do not touch the motor setting) for Elevation.

RobTi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
Scotland
Thanks for the reply i will give this a go tomorrow hopefully its dry

Robert

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
RobTi said:
Thanks for the reply i will give this a go tomorrow hopefully its dry

Robert

BTW, what are you using for alignment indication? If a needle meter, the cable stub is normally of such poor quality that it can fail to make proper contact with the LNB socket or the core can break or get bent over. If in doubt, make up a short cable of your own using decent cable and connectors.

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
Thats very true, to be honest I dont think I could go back to a basic sat finder these days.

RobTi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
Scotland
Hi just a quick update had a spare hour today and gave up trying 5w so swung it round to 28.2 (its sitting right above the neighbours sky dish :cool:)to make sure everything was working okay, and got that right away so started swing it round and got 19e then 9e before i had to give up, so hopefully will have an hour to play with it tomorrow. :)

Robert

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
RobTi said:
Hi just a quick update had a spare hour today and gave up trying 5w so swung it round to 28.2 (its sitting right above the neighbours sky dish :cool:)to make sure everything was working okay, and got that right away so started swing it round and got 19e then 9e before i had to give up, so hopefully will have an hour to play with it tomorrow. :)

Robert

It wont work like that, I bet you didnt get everything from 19 and 9 that you would get if you aligned on your true due south bird

The dish wont track the arc properly if you set it up on 28, I found that out the hard way after thinking I`ll take the easy option and point my big dish to 28 to align it instead of 1west (with a bit of advice from the guys on here lol)

RobTi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
Scotland
No what i meant was that i couldn't get anything on the .8\5w range so i swung it round to 28.2e and got everything so i knew that the cable and tuner was okay then swung it back round, and today got 5w set up as my reference sat and i will take it from there.

Thanks for the help

Robert

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Another :-handclap from me

RobTi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
Scotland
Hi
Me again just to say thanks for all the help in setting this up (think my next post might be about dropping the pc and getting a proper receiver:))

Robert