How not to join an external coax cable and other how not to photos

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Gaffer tape (Duck tape) is not waterproof, although a lot of people seem to think it is. :-rofl2

Here are a couple of photos of a jointed cable I had to replace today, the builders had joined it with coax connectors and a coupler, tightly wrapped it with a couple of layers of gaffer tape and then left it to lie in the gutter.

Needless to say, it lasted only as long as the first heavy rainfall, then the occupants of the shared house had no TV. :-doh!

Unfortunately there is also a join in the cable at the back of the house, but I can't get a ladder to it, just hope it isn't lying in the gutter as well. :)

Attachments

• bad_joint_1.jpg
    bad_joint_1.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 471
  • bad_joint_2.jpg
    bad_joint_2.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 415

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Nice Rolf, How good of them to tape the join up :-rofl2
Keeps us busy :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Obviously they were just

Attachments

• cowboy.jpg
    cowboy.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 134

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
its also sky installers some not all, that dont know how to run a cable properly as my mum has the sky cable running in the guttering as they was too lazy to run it around the house, it still works surprisingly, which i'm going to sort out and run it over the roof to front of house which will mean i can take couple of metres off it

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
wod said:
its also sky installers some not all, that dont know how to run a cable properly as my mum has the sky cable running in the guttering as they was too lazy to run it around the house, it still works surprisingly, which i'm going to sort out and run it over the roof to front of house which will mean i can take couple of metres off it
Run it through the loft if you can which is how mine are run. I've seen Sky installation recently through the gutter. Someone needs to tell them.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Running the cable through the loft or around the brickwork of the house is not always an option and running the cable over the roof is certainly a last resort as causes premature cable wear.

There is no problem per se with running the cable around/above the gutter, but the cable must not be allowed to sit in the gutter and there are a couple of ways of preventing this. I either use cable ties and anchor the cable to the gutter mounting brackets in several places, or suspend the cable above the gutter using either cable ties or steel lashing wire. Obviously if there is space for the cable to be clipped on the facia board above the gutter, then this is preferable, but there invariable isn't space.

Very often customers are not prepared to pay for the time involved in completing long cable runs, so not surprising that inadvisable methods and shortcuts are often taken.

pacmyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 7000S
Project Gemini 4.40
Nabilosat Darkstar II
My Location
Stockholm
To join coax cable in outdoor use you should be using something called VULKtape I think (that´s what its called in swedish ayway). When you are tapeing it it will shrink and and create some kind of rubber material wich will get very tight to the connection and therefore stop water from coming close.. Please see
__http://www.kjell.com/content/templates/shop_main_details.aspx?item=40106&path=

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
rolfw said:
There is no problem per se with running the cable around/above the gutter, but the cable must not be allowed to sit in the gutter and there are a couple of ways of preventing this. I either use cable ties and anchor the cable to the gutter mounting brackets in several places, or suspend the cable above the gutter using either cable ties or steel lashing wire. Obviously if there is space for the cable to be clipped on the facia board above the gutter, then this is preferable, but there invariable isn't space.

the sky cable is in the actual gutter but has worked for the last few years, I'm going to move it and was hoping to run it over the roof to take a few metres off and from what you have said its a bad idea

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Can you not take it through the roof space as Jimbo mentions Wod?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Spotted this little beauty today, a copybook how not to do it installation.:)

Attachments

• whoops.jpg
    whoops.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 203

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Whoever did that must have gone for a "T" break ..................

(I'll get my coat :-ohmy )

That Flat Twin and Earth is none too clever, either. Should be supported, not "free to roam"!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, there's another cable just out of shot as well.:)

superdirto

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sct unicorn 1.5m
CM 1.2 ku
1.8 fortec c
Televes 100 cm
echostar 3000
TM1500ci+
My Location
lancashire
I don't get it, why shouldn't the coax go in the gutter ?
I had mine in there for over 10yrs until we got new gutters :mad:

both the eighties sky install and , rg58,59 tv and rg81 hardline rg11 for the various ham radio feeds to be honest the weight brought the gutter down
apart from trapping more gunk in the gutter I,ve had no issues with
vswr I've got plenty buried as well and its a right bugger to find again.
I think I would know if they got wet I'm running half a kilowatt :eek:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
rolfw said:

For a moment I thought the minidish was attached to the wonky mast!!! :-rofl2

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
rolfw said:

I more worried about the butt joined brickwork ..
I hope there's a good few wall ties in there at least :)

As to running cables in gutters ..
Totally not recommended I know ..
but as a last resort and if there's no other route ..I suppose its vaguely acceptable ..provided its a single cable run with no joins.

rgds

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes as I said earlier, sometimes there is little choice, but putting joints in the gutter is definitely a no no. :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Now, that would be a good idea, gutter cable clips, ones you could hook onto the back of the guttering.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Robbo said:
Now, that would be a good idea, gutter cable clips, ones you could hook onto the back of the guttering.

Nice idea Robbo ...have you contacted the patent office yet ?

..could be the next 'cats-eyes' ;)
rgds

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Good idea Mark and perhaps slate and tile clips, for sliding under, whilst gripping the cable, whether horizontally or vertically.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yep, them too, seen bits of lashing wire made into a loop and stuffed under the tiles, there has to be an easier way.:confused