Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1M Dish with Motek 2100,
DM 500 & DM 800HD, Vu+ Duo,
Digital+, Sky+, TDT, Saorview
My Location
Dublin
Hi,

Installer finally coming in the morning to install my motorised system. I will be using a 1m dish. He said the receiver must be USALS compatible and mine says says Diseqc 1.2/USALS so covered there. My question is how does the receiver change satellites - is it automatic ?

I went into the motor menu and noticed if selected Diseqc 1.2 I had a list of different satellites and also an east or west option but when I selected USALS the east and west disappeared and was replaced with lat and long also with a list of satellites. Do I simply just selected a satellite from the list and off she goes!

Also I am getting a twin LNB installed so I can connect two receivers and just wanted to find out if both should be able to control the dish ? I presume it should not be a problem once only one receiver at a time is trying to change satellites.

Thanks

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well if your Installer insists upon USALS capability, then that is the method he proposes to use to set it up with for you to operate.

He will tell the system where you are by entering your Latitude and Longitude and, once the Dish is correctly aligned, all you need do is enter the Satellite list and select.

It's that easy (in principle ..........)

You may have to visit each Satellite that interests you to carry out a scan and update any pre-stored Transponder/Channel Lists.

As regards controlling the Dish, either Receiver can be allowed to control it but you mustn't have both trying to do so simultaneously.

With a Twin LNB only one Receiver will be connected via the Motor, though - the other will be directly connected to the second LNB and isn't at this stage going to be in a position to control the Motor.

In order to have a choice, you may need to consider additional switching methods.

But for now, just get used to driving the Motor with one box.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Yes, once your receiver knows where you are located, it'll then know how far to send the motor to a given satellite position.

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Satellites_Automatic_Location_System

redout

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1M Dish with Motek 2100,
My Location
Dublin
Tivù said:
As regards controlling the Dish, either Receiver can be allowed to control it but you mustn't have both trying to do so simultaneously.

With a Twin LNB only one Receiver will be connected via the Motor, though - the other will be directly connected to the second LNB and isn't at this stage going to be in a position to control the Motor.

In order to have a choice, you may need to consider additional switching methods.

But for now, just get used to driving the Motor with one box.

I dont understand when you say second lnb above ^. I thought a twin was just a single lnb with two outputs ? Can I change which box controls the motor from the menu ? One receiver will be upstairs and another downstairs.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that for the immediate future I will just have one receiver but will be moving between the upstairs and downstairs regularly hence why I wanted a twin lnb with two wire drops. I will perhaps get a second receiver but not until around Xmas at least.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
A Twin is indeed a single LNB with two outputs, but the Motor only has one "input" (from the Receiver) and one output (cable stub to LN:cool:.

The second output is not looped through the Motor.

Why not wait until tomorrow and all will be clear.

Then get used to driving it.

Then we can advise you how to configure it the way you really want.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
redout said:
Can I change which box controls the motor from the menu ? One receiver will be upstairs and another downstairs.

Only one receiver can control the motor, as only one will be connected to it.

redout

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1M Dish with Motek 2100,
My Location
Dublin
Ok I understand now. One of the two coax cables is connected to the motor. I should choose the one which I will use most often basically. Thanks

redout

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1M Dish with Motek 2100,
My Location
Dublin
System is installed now but I have one problem. The installer tuned a tonne of sats with all the pay channels aswell as fta channels. My box only takes 4000 channels and I want to delete some of the sats he has setup like thor 2,3, sirius 2,3 etc. I would have rathered these with the FTA only as it is taking up space which I want back.

Anyway long story short there is no option to delete one sat only and only a factory reset. If I do a factory reset and enter the same lat and long settings into the motor I presume I should be ok or should I leave this alone ?

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Redout,

Does your receiver have an option to delete scrambled channels only? It would free up a lot of space very quickly and save you the bother of deleting satellites and then adding them back and rescanning them for FTA channels only.

You could do a factory reset, but if you do, I would suggest that after, you scan each sat seperately and for FTA only. Oh you might want to delete your radio channels too if your don't feel you need them, they will take up space too.

It may help with further advice if you let us know which receiver you are using. Good luck.

Pete

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would go for the factory reset, make sure you leave the dish at the reference point, which will make the new scan easier.

redout

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1M Dish with Motek 2100,
My Location
Dublin
Have it sorted now. Found an option to delete a single sat after bashing my head for 30mins. All is well :)