How to create one's own home TV cable system?

braveheart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox, Humax, OSN, AD Sports, Al-Jazeera Sports, Star TV and Sky Italia
My Location
Bahrain
What is the best way to create one’s own cable TV system that would include all the channels that one wants instead of needing to purchase a million receivers / multiple subscriptions for each room and provide the necessary wiring? Sort of like what you would find in hotels today?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Will depend on how many TVs and how many people are likely to watch separate things at any given time.

braveheart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bahrain
Thanks rolfw for the reply! Well let's say the cable would be provided to 7 seperate rooms and each would be viewing something different. While the cable can with stand about 200 channels. I saw something simliar to what I would like to have in one of the hotels in the UAE, it had a system called Marantz where by you can watch all the hotel's cable channels through the hotel's PC's wiring. The remote also divided the channels according to their types, ie news, sports, business, etc...

On the side how's Reading doing this season? Any chance you guys would bounce back to the Premier League soon again? :-)

braveheart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bahrain
The PC wiring by the way is through the TV.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Reading are probably due for Championship or lower football for the foreseeable future unfortunately, as they have little money, but still enjoyable to watch and a lovely stadium.

What you are looking for is quite a complex system and pretty expensive, unless you look at perhaps a linux box connected to every room and connect them as a sharing group with your subscription cards, you could use a TV link system for remote control.

A

archive10

braveheart said:
What is the best way to create one’s own cable TV system that would include all the channels that one wants instead of needing to purchase a million receivers / multiple subscriptions for each room and provide the necessary wiring? Sort of like what you would find in hotels today?

Best (not cheapest) is to purchase a professional system using IRD cards with pro CAMs for the signals you want, and remuxing things onto IP streams, and having TVs with a small IP receivers on them to display the signal. Cabling is kept to Cat5e or 6, and RF stuff happens in a single rack. EPGs needs to be custom programmed, or ignored, as the TV system is normally setup for various default channels (as you say you want), the remote simply switches between these channels.

Let me know if you want one - we will be happy to make a quote... :)

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello,
only to do this is with 5 dream boxes running on one card.
you can run 5 dream boxes on one card.
one box will have the same box key number as the master and the others will be slaves.
this is the only way to do this.you will have to have a 8 output lnb and a line running to each sat receiver.
i have 2 boxes running on one card and it works
ralph

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
I just put a DM500 in the rooms I wanted, parents and brothers and ran the card in the VU+ and had the DM500s running off that. Spent ages setting it up and doubt my brother's actually used it, so make sure it's worthwhile. I already had the DM500s spare so it wasn't reallt costly, just network cable and satellite cable.