How to get Barry Allen onto an SD(HC) card

Dog's dinner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 HDD
My Location
Norway
I would have done a more thorough search in the postings here, but I'm told I have to wait 60 in between searches, even when the result is nil.

I've downloaded a pdf file which is supposed to tell people how to install Barry Allen on their Dreamboxes. I shan't mention the deplorable English or the incomprehensible jargon (He who has an original or CVS Image in Flashmemory has to use a small but fast Telnet session. For this we press in the DCC the Telnet button etc. etc.). I'vbe tried reading it on several occasions, but have never really understood what the writer is trying to say.

I've also done a web search and but was unable to find anything about loading Barry Allen onto an SD card. Is it just a matter of copying the IPK-file over to the SD card and plugging the card into the Dreambox? (Probably not, I expect.)

Cheers

Gerry55

Reaction score
Install the usb/sd that you intend to use
First rename the Barryallen file to barryallen.ipk then copy the file to tmp

Then telnet
cd/ enter

ipkg install /tmp/barryallen.ipk enter

note the space between ipkg install and install /tmp

Gerry55

Reaction score
Barryallen how to

xttp://hotfile.com/dl/138676924/f36d459/BarryAllen_044rx-en.rar.html

Dog's dinner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 HDD
My Location
Norway
Thanks for replying - nice to know somebody can be bothered with the less bright among us. The web address you kindly provided is precisely to the pdf instructions I mentioned before, the English-language-challenged instructions. Never mind.

When you write "Then telnet", does that mean "open the Dreambox WebControl" and enter cd/ enter"? Probably not, because there's no place in the Dreambox WebControl to enter any commands whatsoever as far as I can see.

I've spent the best part of an hour trying to discover what the verb 'to telnet' ('or not to telnet') means, and realize that telnet the noun means an interface between the computer and the dreambox. (While search I enjoyed a useful tutorial about streaming media files via VLC, which I thought would tell me something about how to telnet things, but it didn't.)

But if telnetting is not done via the Dreambox WebControl thing, then I really don't know how a telnet action can be performed or how I should access a telnet device in practical terms. This is part of the jargon which dreambox users seem to comprehend intuitively, but which conveys absolutely nothing to the great unwashed unfortunately.

I must say, this is a pretty exhausting hobby!

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
You can use Dreambox Control Centre to telnet.

Dog's dinner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 HDD
My Location
Norway
Thanks. Off to find some scripts (whatever they are when they're at home) :-)

Dog's dinner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 HDD
My Location
Norway
Success (amazing) at installing Barry Allen using the Dreambox Control Centre, but not onto the SD card unfortunately, which the dreambox was (and still is) unable to detect. Where Barry Allen is installed I don't know; the Control Centre failed to detect a "mounted hard disk".

I should have asked what "install sd card" meant apart from plugging the darn thing into a slot. Is Dreambox supposed to detect an SD card automatically, or do we have to do a rain dance or something? :-)

Gerry55

Reaction score
Dog`s Dinner

A DM8000 has a very steep learning curve and a lot of reading is required most of the text is translated from German so the translation could be iffy.

If you read page two of the Barryallen PDF you will see that BA prefers a cf card, I use one with no problem, you could also use a usb stick but no sd card!

Dog's dinner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 HDD
My Location
Norway
I've been reading both the instructions you pointed me at, and a much easier (for me) set of instructions at Barry allen for beginners.

Pity about the SD card: that's thirty five quid down the sink. I'll have to get a CF card because the root memory is 50 % full, and the boot memory 41 %.

Anyway, I've managed to shove some images (nabilo blackhole, newnigma, oozoon etc) files into the /mb_images folder using the control centre. That's something.