How to manually install/upgrade cams question

dirkster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020, 1.3m dish on Hotbirds.
My Location
Kuwait
I've read this over the guide page in the title and I have a couple of questions I can't seem to figure out (remember I'm an Idiot). Do you have to edit the smartcam.config for radegast or newcamd? I just used logic and added them using the other formats and they both show up as available cams but I don't know if they are actually working (no to judge from the lack of open channels).

My other question is under the SDT images section it tells me to create the .emu files but not what to do with them. I'm pretty sure they aren't helping my sitting in "my documents" on my windows box.

I am using Hyrda-Phoenix 1.09 since hydra was the version the guide used. I have DCC working and uploaded all the files using the where it goes page (very useful). I'm sure that camd3 is working (even without the .emu file) as with it as the default I get channels I don't get if the DB is set to common interface.

Thank you to Red Devil for pointing me in the right direction for the post location and indicating the other info I need to include. Since I needed to include more information I just reposted.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
If you have downloaded Camd3 then...

FTP to the box (name: root password: dreambox) using DCC if you have it.

Copy the contents out of the downloaded camd3 archive (bin,etc,keys) to the Dreambox

PC Dreambox
Camd3.keys = /var/keys/camd3.keys
Camd3 (program/cam file) = /var/bin/camd3
camd3.config = /var/keys/camd3.config

there are sometimes other files that are in the archive you will download, but these are the main files you need and shouldnt need editing, unless there has been updated keys posted, in that case you would replace the .keys file above :)

in any case, most soft cams are archived in the right folders to begin with.
when you unzip (or rar) remember to EXTRACT the contents rather than drag and drop them, this way they will appear in folders that represent where they should go on the dreambox... this applies to all cams usually.

heres a picture chart for reference..

ignore the AU files at the bottom for now, thats another story :D

dirkster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kuwait
I followed all the Manual install directions and the Camd3 stuff is working as far as I can tell. With it I am getting all the channels I get on my firmware updated VS2000 Platinum. I also installed the SCAM emu but if I set that as the main or default I get nothing but the FTA channels. So I figure I need to look into that a little deeper.

Do these files go in the same locations on GP as Hydra? I have GP, hydra and trellium (sp?) and have played around with all of them but I went with the Hydra just because the idiots guide manual install info was for that version.

Anyways before I edited the softcam.config file on the hydra I couldn't see any of the cams that I had manually installed. But from what I read in the previous message I don't actually need to do that is that correct?

Anyways it looks like I ought to go back to square one and reimage my box and start with a clean install to clean up the excess chaff I have put on while thying different things out. Would that be the best thing to do? Does one of the images stand head and shoulders or even just heads above the others?

Thanks for any further guidence.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
is there a particular reason you are doing it manually??

i would suggest using Gemini image and NewcamD cam/key

then linking the Dreambox to PC, with PC internet sharing enabled (or router)
then you could download all the keys and cams with your dreambox remote...(blue button) then they will be installed in the right place without any worries

and its alot easier :)

dirkster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kuwait
Sadly it all has to be done manually. I'm at a rather rustic (middle of nowhere) location and the only place I can access the internet is from work and the repercussions from hooking a dreambox up to the corporate network are something I'd rather not even think about. lol

Anyways the Gemini image was the first one I installed and I liked it but wasn't sure if everything transfered straight across from the Hydra instructions so I switched to hydra. If Gemini is the way to go I'll switch back to that one. I have the newcamd files as well so I can use them too if they are the ones you'd recommend.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
well to be honest mate, Gemini is the most popular at the moment, Hydra is nearly extinct :(
i used to use the Hydra image's too, but like most other Dreambox users i switched some time ago.
as for Cams, i use NewcamD, Scam and camd3 are still popular too

dirkster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kuwait
Well, I'll download a new copy of the image file and start with a fresh copy of Gemini and download the latest Newcamd I can find and put everything where your handy chart indicates and see where that puts me. Which version of Gemini do you recommend? The very latest or the previous version to avoid any teething problems of the newest version since I can't Blue Button update.

So just to make sure I have this right if I put everything where the chart indicates I shouldn't need to edit any config files? Just make sure that the attributes are set correctly to 700 or 755 as indicated by the many other references I have read and I should be all ready to ask the next questions tomorrow (after reading the forums for answers of course).

dirkster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kuwait
I followed all the instructions I could find while installing Gemini 2.70 and then installing NewcamD including resetting the attributes on the appropriate files and when I was done there was no change to the the Gemini program that I can see.

I started with a clean install of Gemini 2.70 scanned hotbird got it all set up to talk to my laptop then rebooted it. I then ftp'd the NewcamD files to the correct folders and changed the attributes of kelist, ppua, rsakeylist, newcamd.ppc, cardserver.dream (renamed cardserver), cardspider.ppc & betad.dream (renamed betad) to 755. Loaded mary's.tar and rebooted used addons to install the .tar file rebooted again and was in exactly the same position and after the clean install.

Obviously I'm missing some key step to the whole process can anyone offer some fresh insight into what I've missed?

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
where is your image stored?
on the hard drive or flash USB stick.... or in the original flash memory?

because in the past with images stored on the haed drive, you need to go into the images folder to find another copy of the folders that the files should go in.... if that makes sense

also have you read this
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showpost.php?p=308690&postcount=32

might find it useful.

dirkster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kuwait
With the GP image I'm not sure where the image is. When I was using Hydra they made it easy to run off the Flashdrive but I can't find the way to tell with the GP image. I suspect it may be on the HD just because the HD starts to spin whenever I switch channels and just sleeps if I don't change channels for a long period of time.

If I'm storing the image on the HD or USB would that be why I see var/usr/scce instead of var/scce?

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
for instance, i used Flash wizzard Pro to make a multiboot menu (even though i now only use gemini)
but if i FTP to the dreambox, and want to alter or update gemini files, i have to browse through to it
there is an additional folder called FWP then the Gemini folder.... inside them i find all the usual folders.
yours might be the same perhaps

if i put the keys etc in the normal folders, my gemini image doesnt see them

dirkster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kuwait
Well today a my receiver see's the light (dim but a light). I found a set of add-on config .tar files for the various emu's and when I ftp'd the newcamd one across, ran the add-on and rebooted (I think I had to reboot) many things became clear. I now get everything that my Viewsat box gets so I'm that far along but judging by the little green/yellow box on the channel screen everything open is V no I, S, N, C or CW channels. I don't know if any of those others should be clear but I figure that at least a few must be judging by the K files I have in the var/usr/k**s directory. I have a huge number of K files that I ftp'd up should I look for anything in particular to update?

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
well if your using NewcamD then the only keys you need to update are those.

seems your moving along steadily :)

try TPS Foot on 13e and see if you can view that, if so id say your sorted.. thats one of the main channels watched on match days :)

thats if your into football :)

dirkster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kuwait
Yes, I get TPS (but don't care for that kind of football), Spice, Sailing, all the EuroSport channels, the M6 music, VH1, MTV F, etc, but all are Via encrypted. Should I be able to get Polsat or any of the Nag encrypted channels? I know Iredto is out but what about Seca, Conax, CryptoWorks etc? It's starting to seem like I'm more interested in seeing what I can get than actually watching what I actually do get. :)

Once I get hotbird sorted out I'll probably move on to Nilesat (will my Showtime/ADDUniverse card work in the DB?) or Astra.

magnop

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
PT
RedDevil_UK said:
If you have downloaded Camd3 then...

FTP to the box (name: root password: dreambox) using DCC if you have it.

Copy the contents out of the downloaded camd3 archive (bin,etc,keys) to the Dreambox

PC Dreambox
Camd3.keys = /var/keys/camd3.keys
Camd3 (program/cam file) = /var/bin/camd3
camd3.config = /var/keys/camd3.config

there are sometimes other files that are in the archive you will download, but these are the main files you need and shouldnt need editing, unless there has been updated keys posted, in that case you would replace the .keys file above :)

in any case, most soft cams are archived in the right folders to begin with.
when you unzip (or rar) remember to EXTRACT the contents rather than drag and drop them, this way they will appear in folders that represent where they should go on the dreambox... this applies to all cams usually.

heres a picture chart for reference..

ignore the AU files at the bottom for now, thats another story :D

I am new on this subject, and I cannot install camd3 on a Gemini 3.0.0. Gemini do not recognize the cam.
I have placed all the camd3 files in /var/bin or var/k**s. I saw in another post that I have to create the file "camd3.emu", but where do I have to place it?

Regards