How to wire a satellite dish for Sky multi-room?

Jezinio

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky multi-room
My Location
East Midlands
Hi

Hope someone can help.

At the moment I have Sky multi-room with my dish feeding an HD box and also an old style Sky box.

I am wanting to replace the old box with a second HD box located elsewhere in the house. Would I be able to simply remove the current connections from the old box at the dish and connect a new cable to go to my new HD box?

Also, the cable run to the new box would be quite lengthy is this likely to cause problems?

And, would I need a new viewing card for the new HD box?

Many thanks

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
You should be able to use your existing cable, or run another cable, as your dish probably has a quad LNB, 4 outputs, for four connections.
You should be able get Sky to match your existing multi room card to your new receiver.
Personally I don't have Sky, so can't confirm the ease of changing the cards entitlements, but it should be easy, especially given the number of old Sky boxes that failed and needed replacing.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Connect the new box up and ring sky to get the card paired.

Dead simple :)

When we went over to Sky+ I did it all via email on the Mysky site as I wasnt going to waste my time and money ringing them!

Jezinio

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky multi-room
My Location
East Midlands
Much appreciated - especially the tip about not ringing Sky!!!

Jezinio

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky multi-room
My Location
East Midlands
Advice has been greatly received so far but could anyone tell me where I can get instructions about wiring the actual Sky dish. Do I have to take the dish down or can I do it in situ. The last thing I want to do is mess up the dish alignment.
At the moment there seem to be four wires running into the dish connector box. I need to remove the two from the old box and add my two new cables.

Many thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Can all be done with the dish in situ,just be careful that you don't move it when undoing the old and re-attaching the new cables.