T1154
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish
Fixed dishes forAstra2 Atlantic bird 3 and astra 1
Sky box, Humax Viaccess, Humax HD freesat,strong 6410
My Location
S W France [47]
I have a curious problem with my humax foxsat-hdr remote control.The OK button is not functional on certain menu items eg recording/deletion of recordings.Instead I have to use the front panel button. I t is the R/c because eveything works fine with another R/c. Anyone else encoutered this?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Sort of >>>> there are lots of reports of dirty contact issues with these Humax Remote Telecommanders and indeed my own is finicky when selecting PVR/TV/DVD/Audio, for example.

Someone on another Forum (DS, I think) went so far as to produce a guide as to how to get it apart for cleaning whislt minimising the risk of snapping off various unseen clips. Although I've dismantled (sometimes causing minor damage) other types of RC, I haven't yet dared do this one!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I opened up my HDR remote a few weeks ago to see if I could find out why the remote is so finicky with needing to be pointed directly at the receiver.

It wasn't too difficult; I used a blunt table knife to press into the dividing line between the two halves and then applied pressure first on the top half and then the bottom half to see which way it clipped together. Once I found which way that was (I can't remember, unfortunately) I released as much of one side as I could, did the same on the other side and then the shorter sides. Sometimes the clips closed up again but I persevered.

Then you can see the innards and carefully clean the contacts with a dry cloth. I wouldn't recommend any solvents on the PC board but be especially careful with rubbery button pad as the underneath has a conductive substance embedded and if this is accidentally wiped away then that will make the problem worse.

BTW, I didn't fix my problem!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Thanks for the info on the dismantling!

May well try it soon.

The need to be accurate in pointing in some cases is also well documented - but weirdly I find I can point mine up in the air, behind me, anywhere, and it works fine. No idea why - maybe there is "interference" from Low Energy lamps or summat lying behind the problematic cases?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
... weirdly I find I can point mine up in the air, behind me, anywhere, and it works fine. No idea why...
Lucky you! Was that for both the HD and the HDR?

...maybe there is "interference" from Low Energy lamps or summat lying behind the problematic cases?
Possibly but as it occurs the same in the UK and France and at any time of day (with no lights switched on) I doubt it.

I think it's down to the positioning of the sensor in the receiver somehow. I haven't opened it up yet but that's got to be next, methinks.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
HDR.

(I'm not allowed near the nonPVR .............. unless Rai Uno has "disappeared"!)

I do recall that some folk with your problem discovered an almost imperceptible removable film behind the HDR front panel and affecting the IR Sensor that they'd missed when unpacking their new toy: Worth a second or third look, perhaps?