I am about to give up

Spacefonkey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
not sure :S
My Location
Lebanon
Hello

This is my first post in this forum. Sorry for my bad english.
I've read the idiots guide ( or at least the part i needed ).

I have a DB500 connected to the home LAN via a linksys router.

DREAMBOX IP : 192.168.1.107
ROUTER IP : 192.168.1.1
MY PC IP : 192.168.1.105

I have tried , and tried again and again installing VLC player then loading it and setting the appropriate IPs in the options.

I also tried Tuxvision

I am only able to browse the channel through my webbrowser (type the IP in the address ) .. but when I click on VLC i am asked to download a file and open it with VLC but it doesnt work.

What i am trying to do is watch TV on my laptop through my dreambox and record movies and stuff....

thats the only reason i got my DB and i am seriously about to give up.

please i need a clear link to a step by step guide on how to link ur DB to your PC via home LAN ... i tried google and everything ...

I hope this forum can help more.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Hello Spacefonkey,

Few questions:

1 - Can you connect to the internet with 500S using your blue button > addons ?
2 - Which Gemini image version are you using?
If it is Gemini 4.1, it would be better to flash with Gemini 4.0 (this is what I have) or maybe 4.2 (haven't installed it yet).
3 - Which VLC version are you using?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hi

Please fill out your user details as well as system.

Recording with a Gemini image to your computer should be straight forward. If you can connect to your dreambox from the computer you are half way there. Next, you need to mount your dreambox to the computer to record, for this there is a good guide in the Idiot Guide. After you got that going, we can look at the watching TV on your PC. Just remember that from my experience the quality is not that good, even when everything is working ok. I sometimes use it in emergency situations, but I would not want to use it all the time. If you must watch TV using a computer then a PC card receiver would have been the better option for you.

What operating system are you using on your computer?

Spacefonkey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lebanon
Thank you for your replies.

I am using the latest version of VLC player i found it here

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I am using XP PRO.

I'm not exactly sure what GEMINI is ....

When i try download addons from my DB direcly it works perfectly... at least I get the list.... is there some sort of addon im supposed to download for the streaming to work ?

ive seen it done before and the procedure seems pretty straightforward but for some reason its not working with me.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Gemini image is the software that the receiver is using.
You can find it from the Setup > Information (if memory serves me right)
Just note down the numbers at the bottom and report back.

The question regarding the addons was to make sure that your setup is working ok, and it seems to be. No need to download anything at this stage.

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
---------------------------------------------
--- DM 8000 HD PVR & DM 800 HD ---
Motek SG2100 & Triax 80cm Dual LNB
------ Fixed Dish 28e Quad LNB -------
---- Sly HD Full & 24" Apple iMAC ----
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
HI there. Don't dispare you'll get there. You really need to learn about images and the basics of dreaming. People asking what image you're using is very important when it comes to getting this working. Have you changed the software on your box from when you bought it ? maybe you used a util called DreamUp ? If so, did you use Gemini software, this is known as an image. Its the operating system of your box. Anyhoo. if you're using Gemini then read my tutorial about streaming from the DM7025. A lot of it is useful to you even though you're using a DM500.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...025-internet-including-pictures-new-post.html

In the settings section, there's a check box called 'Play Local' Check this box and skip steps 11-16 and step 18 of my tutorial. Have a good read and try again.. Hope you make some ground... Let us know..

Regards
MCC

Spacefonkey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lebanon
B16MCC thanks a lot for your guide ... the problem is that when i Right Click the channel on the web interface , i cant select Copy shortcut ( in step 5 )...

in fact here is what I get ....
newbitmapimageaz2.jpg

I think we have slightly different interfaces....

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I am not sure what you are trying to do there, but only left click will work on the interface, if I am not wrong.

As I said, get the mounting sorted out first, then we will take the next step.

Spacefonkey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lebanon
Thank you guys for you help...

I had everything right except port forwarding but its done now its I can finally watch TV on my laptop.

Now the next step is : i need a way to record what i see on my HD... i am using VLC.

thank you

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
It shows you in the Idiot's Guide to record to a hard drive.