I need help - newbie

T

thuynh7

Hi everyone

Right first of all I'm a complete novide when it comes to this, so don't flame me or reply with abusive comments!!

I have just moved into my new house and it has a Sattelite dish at the front and a lead that runs through to the living room. at the end of this lead a long thin copper wire that is a about 2 inches long sticks out.

My question is there anything I can do with this???

Can I get a a sky digibox and receive all the free digital channels.

or is it best just to rip the whole thing out?

your help is much appreciated.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
thuynh7 said:
Hi everyone

Right first of all I'm a complete novide when it comes to this, so don't flame me or reply with abusive comments!!

I have just moved into my new house and it has a Sattelite dish at the front and a lead that runs through to the living room. at the end of this lead a long thin copper wire that is a about 2 inches long sticks out.

You dont say where you live. you will need to know where the dish is pointing to and what size it is in cm.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
thuynh7 said:
Hi everyone

Welcome m8.

You don't say much about the dish, so in all probability it's a S*Y minidish, pointed at 28.2 degrees east. Assuming it's not damaged, or mal-alligned and the coax is sound, you can just trim the end of the coax like you would with a TV coax, and fit a screw-on F-connector, available at any DIY shop.

Then just get hold of an old digibox, buy a £20 Freesat card from S*Y (1 off payment) and off you go. Similar package to Freeview.

Check out :- _http://www.freesatfromsky.com/?pID=6

for more details.

For BBC channels and a few others, you don't even need a card, so you can test it first. :)

STICK

T

thuynh7

Thanks

I forgot to say I'm in the Uk and I guess the the dish is an old S*Y dish.

Haven't got a clue about what make the dish is and where it is pointing!

Thanks BGonaSTICK for pointing me in the right direction about FREESAT.

BGonaSTICK said:
Welcome m8.

You don't say much about the dish, so in all probability it's a S*Y minidish, pointed at 28.2 degrees east. Assuming it's not damaged, or mal-alligned and the coax is sound, you can just trim the end of the coax like you would with a TV coax, and fit a screw-on F-connector, available at any DIY shop.

Then just get hold of an old digibox, buy a £20 Freesat card from S*Y (1 off payment) and off you go. Similar package to Freeview.

Check out :- _http://www.freesatfromsky.com/?pID=6

for more details.

For BBC channels and a few others, you don't even need a card, so you can test it first. :)

STICK

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
N.P.

If it's a small 'squashed' dish, and looks similar to everybody else's, then you're probably OK.

kebabinho

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500S
80cm dish
.2db lnb
Gemini 3.5
CCcam1.71
Sky netgear wireless router
zoom gameport ethernet adapter
satankeybundle + autoupdater
My Location
UK
you could just get a box off ebay like golden interstar 8005ci and connect it to the cable. then you can see what you get. i have done this and not moved the disd (although i will) and you can get loads of channels from different satellites.

i get
eurobird (s*y)
astra1 and 2 i think and then select channels off other such as hipasat.
or you could then move your dish and try and get others.