I Will Be Reckless.

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
I decided to go for the VSAT SMC 120CM Antenna. The top of my existing Fibo 90 with Stab 100 motor is fitted level with the roof apex but the poll goes a metre above that. This restricts me to 30 west. If I put the new dish higher it will catch a bit more wind gusts. Therefore do I go for the Stab 120 or similar or the 36 v route which I am trying to avoid as its more cables and clutter with a positioner in my den. I have the cable there at both ends.

Attachments

• DS 120cm Antenne.pdf
    246.5 KB · Views: 21

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Whoa, do NOT put this on any kind of DiSEqC motor - it will come crashing down very quickly. 36v is the only way.

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
Whoa, do NOT put this on any kind of DiSEqC motor - it will come crashing down very quickly. 36v is the only way.
Who there Captain. I was just asking. W hat do you believe is best in the 36 v range?

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southern England

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Who there Captain. I was just asking. W hat do you believe is best in the 36 v range?
A Jaeger 1224 of course :) Moteck H180 will work too but it's a pain and reliability is questionable. Or something like a Channel Master polar mount will work too, with a jack.

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southern England
A Jaeger 1224 of course :) Moteck H180 will work too but it's a pain and reliability is questionable. Or something like a Channel Master polar mount will work too, with a jack.
I would go for a jack, bit bulky but probably best. One of the problems with the VSAT SMC 120CM is the weight of around 30 kilos. Seems a lot of weight hanging on a pole. I did see a Fibo near me yesterday but bits were missing, in fact it was just the dish and bracket, even the dish looked bent. £100 no thanks. I will hang on until the new year, count the pennies and see.

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southern England
Not sure as the blurb does not say, waiting for an email back.
Had an email back.
You can use any LNB of NJRC for example to use on this Antenna. NJRC is listed as manufacturer in our shop.

***shop.level421.com/navi.php?qs=njrc

A

archive10

Not sure as the blurb does not say, waiting for an email back.
That is a Cahors (formerly Visiosat) SMC120 in a Rx/Tx configuration.
I used to have one but sold it as in those days it didn't quite cut the muster for Astra 2D.
It weighed about the same as a Channel Master 120, so I would hesitate putting that on a H2H (as CJ says).
Good thing is, that it's a lot cheaper than a channel master from new.

As an alternative, with almost exactly the same performance, you should consider the Laminas OFC1200.
It is the same size, and arguably the same performance, but weighs substantially less due to it's construction.
I have one, and it is much, much lighter than the CM or the Visiosat.
And as evidence from this site (and around the net) will show, others have it without problems on "normal" H2H motors such as the Stab 120 (if placed in a semi-sheltered position). Keep in mind, though - that is mostly about the weight issue. The area of the dish will catch very strongly in a good gale if mounted in an exposed position. Not all H2H motors will survive...

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southern England
That is a Cahors (formerly Visiosat) SMC120 in a Rx/Tx configuration.
I used to have one but sold it as in those days it didn't quite cut the muster for Astra 2D.
It weighed about the same as a Channel Master 120, so I would hesitate putting that on a H2H (as CJ says).
Good thing is, that it's a lot cheaper than a channel master from new.

As an alternative, with almost exactly the same performance, you should consider the Laminas OFC1200.
It is the same size, and arguably the same performance, but weighs substantially less due to it's construction.
I have one, and it is much, much lighter than the CM or the Visiosat.
And as evidence from this site (and around the net) will show, others have it without problems on "normal" H2H motors such as the Stab 120 (if placed in a semi-sheltered position). Keep in mind, though - that is mostly about the weight issue. The area of the dish will catch very strongly in a good gale if mounted in an exposed position. Not all H2H motors will survive...
Many thanks. I will have a look at the Laminas, I was hesitant with the SMC 120 due to the weight. Have plenty of time to decide as it will be a spring time job.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I will have a look at the Laminas

+1 from me for the Laminas. Although resting for now in the 'room of requirement' (tool store) it's not let me down, nor has it seemed to create extra wear on the motor.

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southern England
+1 from me for the Laminas. Although resting for now in the 'room of requirement' (tool store) it's not let me down, nor has it seemed to create extra wear on the motor.

I was thinking of doing a blog like yours. Mine would be all you can eat in two days, starting tomorrow.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
If it’s going on your flat roof a 36volt system on a flat roof mount would be ideal.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southern England
I went through the figures of the various dish info from makers sites etc. How accurate they are who knows.
Viosat 120 cm Ku Band Dual Optics Gregorian Cross. Gain @ 12,5 GHz 41,8 dB Expensive 30 kg weight an issue.
Fibo 120cm Gain@11.7GHz 40,0dB None available. Will have to wait for a used one.
Laminas OFC-1200 P.Gain [dB] 40.9 at 10.7 GHz 41.1 at 11.3 GHz 42.1 at 12.6 GHz. 6.7 kg
Existing Master Focus (Fibo) Gein (11.7GHz) 40,9dB.
Is there a lot in it? My existing Master Focus Fibo 90 works but needs aligning. I am a bit bothered as it is on a Stab 100 motor and in an exposed position. I can move the dish higher but it becomes more exposed and maybe needs 36 a 36 volt actuator. Or add a wire strap bolted to the apex in case it comes off the motor.
At the moment I am thinking of the Laminas 120 with a 36 volt actuator as I do not think a Stab 120 would be strong enough in an exposed position.
I hope to sort it all out in the spring whilst the Overseer decides if she wants to move and where, in the meantime I will keep on playing.
Your views are welcome.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
At the moment I am thinking of the Laminas 120 with a 36 volt actuator as I do not think a Stab 120 would be strong enough in an exposed position.

I can only reiterate that mine has been fine on the Clarke Tech, on a south facing wall at 1st floor level. If it were above the gutter however, I think that might be a different matter...Funnily enough I was thinking of putting mine on a Stab 120 when I reposition it at ground level in the future. There's also a little matter of felling a couple of dozen trees...

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I went through the figures of the various dish info from makers sites etc. How accurate they are who knows.
Viosat 120 cm Ku Band Dual Optics Gregorian Cross. Gain @ 12,5 GHz 41,8 dB Expensive 30 kg weight an issue.
Fibo 120cm Gain@11.7GHz 40,0dB None available. Will have to wait for a used one.
Laminas OFC-1200 P.Gain [dB] 40.9 at 10.7 GHz 41.1 at 11.3 GHz 42.1 at 12.6 GHz. 6.7 kg
Existing Master Focus (Fibo) Gein (11.7GHz) 40,9dB.
Is there a lot in it? My existing Master Focus Fibo 90 works but needs aligning. I am a bit bothered as it is on a Stab 100 motor and in an exposed position. I can move the dish higher but it becomes more exposed and maybe needs 36 a 36 volt actuator. Or add a wire strap bolted to the apex in case it comes off the motor.
I hope to sort it all out in the spring whilst the Overseer decides if she wants to move and where, in the meantime I will keep on playing.
Your views are welcome.

The Fibo 120 nf looks wrong

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
That sounds very optimistic.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
I have Visiosat 120 antenna. The mirror only weights 13.4kg (against Channel Master's 10kg). But parameter-vise it as almost a copy of Channel Master- 1200x1300mm and 22.6* offset angle. Very solid dish, I must say.