Ideal time or conditions to scan in channels

Riverblue

Regular Member
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
Hi to all, most of you will probably think that this is obvious but I'm new to all this so here goes. What are the best conditions for scanning in channels? I assume clear skies, no wind, no rain, less cloud cover, these surely are taken as given. What about time of day? early or late? cold, cool, warm or hot? I've already noticed that things can vary quite a lot. I scanned in a tp on 62E yesterday in blustery and cloudy conditions that I can't touch today with light breeze and clear blue skies? But the again I'm picking the odd new tp today on various birds that I haven't been able to get?Another quickie whilst I'm here, the lower the symbol rate the lower the power? Therefore higher rates, eg 27500, being easier to pick up than lower ones, eg 2870?
 
Don't forget the effects of the sun passing behind the arc at certain times of the year, too. And scintillation (qv).

Personally, I think there is a danger of overcomplicating this and relying upon empirical methods (as you clearly have done) rather than attempting to quantify it.
 
Tivù said:
Don't forget the effects of the sun passing behind the arc at certain times of the year, too. And scintillation (qv).

Personally, I think there is a danger of overcomplicating this and relying upon empirical methods (as you clearly have done) rather than attempting to quantify it.
:confused: Sorry Tivu, you'll have to run that by me again???. . . . . . . . Just looking for a push in the right direction, if there is one :)
 
The first bit was simply to point out that there are even more variables than at first seem apparent.

The second bit basically says ignore them all and just carry on regardless!
 
Tivù said:
Don't forget the effects of the sun passing behind the arc at certain times of the year, too. And scintillation (qv).

Personally, I think there is a danger of overcomplicating this and relying upon empirical methods (as you clearly have done) rather than attempting to quantify it.
Some more time on the internet . . . . . .solar activity/ flares etc, solar outage, i was aware of their influence (not so the terminology!) Empirical methods . . . . . . I only have my observations and limited experience to go on, that's why I posed the question (thread)
 
Tivù said:
The first bit was simply to point out that there are even more variables than at first seem apparent.

The second bit basically says ignore them all and just carry on regardless!
Sorry Tivu, didn't see your post until I posted mine :-DOH! I'm guessing that sometimes it's just a case of "keep on trying"
 
Yes, sorry my mild dyslexia meant that the second paragraph of my initial reply didn't read as I intended.

I was trying to suggest you rely on empirical (suck it and see) methods - ie carry on much as you have - rather than trying to weigh up myriad factors affecting propagation.
 
Tivù said:
Yes, sorry my mild dyslexia meant that the second paragraph of my initial reply didn't read as I intended.

I was trying to suggest you rely on empirical (suck it and see) methods - ie carry on much as you have - rather than trying to weigh up myriad factors affecting propagation.
Thanks, again!, Tivu:-beer
 
No point mentioning sporadic E or F2 layer then!!!! O-Ha
 
Piltdownpaul said:
No point mentioning sporadic E or F2 layer then!!!! O-Ha
Okay, internet searching over! I shall refer all back to my post no 6, 2nd part. :)
 
I have used TSReader with my PC card on some satellites, setting it to read the signal on a weak transponder. I allow the refresh rate to check the signal over, say, 12 hours. THe resulting chart shows the amplitude of the transponder signal over that time and consequently the possible best time to scan.

Only for dedicatees - and those with plenty of patience to await the result!
 
Llew said:
I have used TSReader with my PC card on some satellites, setting it to read the signal on a weak transponder. I allow the refresh rate to check the signal over, say, 12 hours. THe resulting chart shows the amplitude of the transponder signal over that time and consequently the possible best time to scan.

Only for dedicatees - and those with plenty of patience to await the result!
:eek: Oh my god!! What have I gotten into?????
 
Riverblue said:
:eek: Oh my god!! What have I gotten into?????

The best hobby going. :D

Dont worry, all you need to do is scan each fringe satellite at different times of day and you will soon find which times of day work best on your dish / receiver combo.

For example Ive found that with 7E the early morning or evening is best for me on the weaker beams.

For the strong stuff -- Astra 1 Astra2 Hotbird etc it really doesnt matter when you scan them - they are chucking so much power you will have full signal in anything but a tropical downpour.

Heavy snow in a bad winter - forget it - if you get snow building up on the dish that can knock even the strongest stuff out...... (Been there got the tshirt)


As for weather influence, well rain will attenuate signals that are marginal to begin with, as will mist & sometimes even thick cloud. Clear skies are ++normally++ the best to scan in. (But occasionally strange things happen!)
 
Back
Top