Ideas on installation

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, INVERTO Silver Tech Universal Twin LNB 0.2, Technomate 80cm mesh dish
My Location
BRISTOL
chaps

on the right hand side where the installer is planning to put the dish there was an old satellite dish from sky on there until saturday which went into my house.

the sky engineer told me its knackered and msut of been there donkeys years so took it down and suggested he installed that on the left hand bricks.

therefore i assume the right hand side is ours as the sky dish originally was on that side....and now the sky dish that is on the left hand side is potentially illegally installed on the neighbours wall......if there is future problem i will take it down and put it else where etc....

so this make me think the right hand is ours...im going to go with the install there....the installer checked the bricks and recons its sturdy enough for it...think we should try it and the dish shouldnt over hang or encroch next door as it will swing the other way back over my roof to pick up vital sats like 1w, 13e,19e etc...

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
heres a pic of the original sat sky dish on the right hand side, which the sky engineer removed.

d17f20c2436a5cae6e89daf9d824a730274cb3d0.jpg

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There is no alternating ownership of partition walls, the installer is confused, half of each partition wall is yours, however, neighbours will not normally object over dish placement on a shared wall, providing the dish does not overhang their property.

However, if the installer is planning to put a pair of T&K brackets with a long mast, motor and dish on a one and a half brick pier, he is on dodgy ground.

A nonymous

Reaction score
If the installer does install on that small partition i suggest you check your building insurance covers low flying satellite dishes and masonary repairs from a botched installation :D

Oh and if your planning to put your Sky card in the DM800s internal slot, i'd forget that too as it will most probably fry the card. The DM800 and Sky card aren't a good combo.

Nano

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
I wont be putting the sky card in the dm800. dont worry.

I have spoken to my surveyor, this is what he says
I would personally say that the true boundary follows a line that is straight down the middle of the brickwork and would therefore advise that providing you keep to your own side of this line then there should be no problem. However, I would add that many a boundary/neighbour dispute could be easily avoided by simply discussing this with your new neighbours and to see what the "lay of the land" is locally.

Anyway, i have a question.....how easy is it to take off the tiles off the front of the house and install the t & K on there, and do the job that way? coming to think of it, it might be easier or better to do it on that...

cheers (btw i have attatched a photo for reference, new sky dish on left hand side wired into my house and potential dish on pole on right hand side)

cheers all

dish.jpg

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Tricky house - I had a similar one with the Sky dish pointing in the same direction. Under the tiles I just had plasterboard.

You will definitely clear over to 1W and should be able to fetch 5E on a good day (I get it fine on an 85cm Penta in Portishead up the road from you). What about putting it nearly at ground level on the side of the porch? The downside is that the dish will probably be visible from your living room window.

Although, I certainly wouldn't put the dish on the party walls - they are only a brick and a half thick. I would also be tempted for an above the gutter configuration at the back of the house, next to the drain pipe, with a K-T-K type mount. Should be good enough to hold an 80cm dish.

Let me know if you get stuck with your current installer and I can come around and have a look at what could be done there.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Certainly in my experience, it is very unlikely that there'll be anything under the tiles more substantial than timber batons and an insulation membrane.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Another idea is to put it on the top of the porch - depending on the roof type there - or even on the side of the porch above its own roof. My parents have a concrete block over theirs - nice and easy to install on that.

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
Captain Jack said:
Tricky house - I had a similar one with the Sky dish pointing in the same direction. Under the tiles I just had plasterboard.

You will definitely clear over to 1W and should be able to fetch 5E on a good day (I get it fine on an 85cm Penta in Portishead up the road from you). What about putting it nearly at ground level on the side of the porch? The downside is that the dish will probably be visible from your living room window.

Although, I certainly wouldn't put the dish on the party walls - they are only a brick and a half thick. I would also be tempted for an above the gutter configuration at the back of the house, next to the drain pipe, with a K-T-K type mount. Should be good enough to hold an 80cm dish.

Let me know if you get stuck with your current installer and I can come around and have a look at what could be done there.

I would say side of porch would be a NoNo as it would rescrict the nice view out of the lounge lol

so is this what you mean by the back next to drain pipe?

will it pick up the sats i need clearly? 28e - 1w ?

cheers

a1.jpg

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If you put it there, the dish will protrude over your neighbour's side.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Perhaps a nice word with the neighbour is in order :)

At the back of the house like how you put it would give you pretty much a full arc - certainly everything to the west.

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
rolfw said:
If you out it there, the dish will protrude over your neighbour's side.

how about this, as close to my window as possible

photo(5).jpg

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
A Sky dish points at 28.2E, if you face the dish and rotate it 29.2 degrees left, to the West, you will locate 1W.
Where you have it located, in your last picture, should probably give you full access from at least 39E to 30W, but to be sure can you please post a better picture of the Sky dish, assuming it is pointing at 28.2E.
Have you tried our dishpointer application, to give you a better idea?
http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/dishpointer.php

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Don't wish to sound negative, but the closer to the edge of the brickwork you bolt the brackets, the more chance of the thing coming adrift.

From the mast to the tip of the LNB will probably be at least four bricks.

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
this is an image of my house, with the dish on back of house pointing at 28e

would it be ok then to swing round and find all the sats?

and do you guy think its ok on back of house?

one more thing, will satellite installer find it easy to walk on the tiles of extension? as dont want to FK them up...

cheers.

long.jpg

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
chaps.

i have a 5foot steel scaffold pole on its way round for a fiver from local scaffold place.

all i need now is the t&k brackets. i left my old ones at my old house...now i cant remember where i bought them from...

some kind of trade counter here in bristol? they have a really rubbish site but cant remember the name...any ideas?

UPDATE FOUND THE SITE

_http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXTK24G.html

BUT THEY ONLY HAVE 24" I NEED 18"

will it make much difference?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Ebay.
24" might be too much but you need to measure how wide your gutters are. In my old flat, I needed to use 24" to clear it but in a recent install 18" was plenty.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Looking at the aerial view, why not put the dish at the bottom of the garden, would be easier and no damage to the property.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Girlfriend says "no"....

ash213

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BRISTOL
lol, ive decided not to care what the girlfriend says!

but nah, cant put it at end of garden becuase we are knocking the wall down and rebuilding it and doing the garden up from scratch as its completely concrete at present.

think the back of house should be fine.

any more suggestions on these 18" bracket, if i cant find it my installer say he can get them for £20...good price?