Idiot's guide to Millennium

N

NOVICE

Having got much help from these forums, time to give something back. Bought a Millennium 2000VX programmer this weekend, and the following is an idiot's guide to its use -it worked for me and they don't come technically more idiotic than yours truly. So it should work for anyone.
1) Visit satellite site and select suitable software download for your system (try them all; the packages they work vary quite a bit). Click the package you want, choose the 'save to disk' option in wizard window, then 'save'. With me, the zipped file goes straight to My Documents on my hard drive.
2) Exit Internet Explorer. Double click My Documents icon, and find the archive you've downloaded (eg Barracuda). Double click the archive, and wizard window comes up. Click 'I agree' option, then 'next', then 'next' again, then 'unzip now'. The archive is now unzipped into separate files - usually an eeprom, a pic, a read me and sometimes a loader.
3) Connect Millennium programmer via com port to your computer; the supplied lead only fits that socket! Plug in programmer; green light comes on. Make yourself a Millennium desktop icon, double click it and PC will automatically load up the programmer's box display. It will say 'Ready' when, er, ready to proceed. Put a card in programmer's card slot - chip to the front and down. Programmer will automatically identify its type. If it doesn't, click the Identify tab in programmer's onscreen window. Card types RB6 and RB7 are okay. ( Goldwafers, Q cards and C cards are all okay).
4) After card identified, screen again says 'Ready' - it will only read card in PICs tab. Click the 'Eeproms' tab, then click 'File', then click 'Load Hex'. Screen comes up, asking you where to look. Double click 'C Drive'. In 'C Drive', double click the archive which says 'Unzipped'. Double click the archive you have downloaded (eg Barracuda). The individual files within that archive will appear.
5) Double click on the eeproms file. It will say either ee.hex or 24.16 hex. The data will automatically be loaded into the programmer's window. Programmer will say 'Ready'.
6) Next click the programmer's 'PICs' tab. Then click 'File', then 'Load hex'. Double click the pic file you want to load. It will usually say 'pic.hex' or 16.84hex. Data for this will automatically be entered in programmer window, too.
7) After programmer says 'Ready', go back to the 'Eeproms' tab and click it. Then click the 'Program' tab at right of screen. Task bar will progress across screen as eeprom chip is programmed. Wait until you get 'Ready' message when completed.
8) Click 'pics' tab next, and then 'program' again. Taskbar progresses again while pic is being programmed. When done, the programmer runs a check and tells you when finished. Click 'okay' in the verify box that comes up and, fingers crossed, you have one working card. Enjoy!
Now all I have to learn is to update the few channels here and there which don't work, without loading whole hex files - eg all Seca stuff works, but with Viaccess in Barracuda ( for red CAM) the HRTs, s_x-View and Satisfaction don't work even with the latest downloads. I presume it's because they use a lot of keys and that you'll need some sort of editor to update. But I have no idea how to do it, or where to look for the updates. Got to ask the fellers who know myself!

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
If your looking for keys you can try duck files :
http://more.at/duck/
They have all the new keys :-)

Also you can download an editor there too. Click on editors in the left menu and then try one of the editors from the right menu, like picbinedit.
Just load your hex/bin file into the editor and change the keys to the latest ones. Save the modified hex and then use this to program your card.

There are alot of other sites with keys and hex files if this one goes down..

For more sites you can try:
http://monstersat.tiz.net/
http://satcodesclub.da.ru/

good luck
nobbly :+

N

NOVICE

You're a gent, nobbly.
I'll try it, but sounds complicated and I predict a disaster somewhere. One of these technically dim sorts who, as above idiot's guide shows, has to be told which buttons to press and in what order. But I'll have a go. Hope they've got the new keys for Barracuda - only swine, apparently, that'll work with Viaccess red CAM, v481. Seca, on the other hand, I'm fine - narry a missing shopping channel!
Thanx again for the advice, m8.

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
Just take the hex files that work best with your equipment, in your case this is the Barracuda file..

Find the new key for the channels that your missing ie. s_x view.
Use the editor to edit the (Barracuda eprom) hex and replace the old key with the new one.

simple hey

nobbly :+