I'm back with dish

Hilltopper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest DVB-S SL 65,
LP401 LNB, 80cm dish
My Location
South Ceredigion
After a spell of doing other things, I have concreted a steel tube into the ground and mounted my dish on it, as the dish on the previous pole caught the wind and kept moving. Do any of you have a problem with large solid dishes in elevated positions?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
How large exactly ??

:)

Hilltopper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest DVB-S SL 65,
LP401 LNB, 80cm dish
My Location
South Ceredigion
Mine is only a 800mm elliptical one, but some people have dishes 3 metres across, or more. I live at the top of a hill, with a field to the south-east, so the dish is exposed to the wind, but has the advantage that it can be near the ground. I'll get a picture uploaded ASAP.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Often, using a larger diameter pole helps in these situations, or if using say a 2 inch scaffold pole some diagonal bracing would help.

Hilltopper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest DVB-S SL 65,
LP401 LNB, 80cm dish
My Location
South Ceredigion
It is a piece of tube similar to scaffold, galvanised inside and out. U-bolts have to be bigger though. The edge of the dish does flutter slightly in the wind, may have to stiffen it with extra steelwork at the back.

On another subject, Lady H wanted $ky, even though I said Rupert Murdoch has more money than is good for him, and more influence than is good for us. We have had it for 3-4 years, but she now wanted $ky+HD. The young "engineer" came today, I told him that I had already installed the cables properly and neatly, he had only to change the LNB from a 4 output one to a 6 output. He put the box in the house, and without checking the signal to see if it was OK, he swapped the LNB. No reading on his signal strength box. So he put the old LNB back. Still no good, so he swapped the dish, exactly the same. To cut a long story short, several hours later, another man came back, and tested the dish/LNB which I had aimed myself without an instrument. I was already tuned in, and he said the signal was perfect.

By coincidence, the young lad's previous job had also failed because the dish couldn't see the satellite! Moral: always have a spare signal strength tester.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If this is a motorised dish, the problem will almost certainly be in the bearings of the gearbox.
The only solution is a much better system, many DiSEqC motors are produced to price, not to guarantee standards.