I'm confused, what do I need to buy?

• Thread starter digitalsubstance
  • Start date
D

digitalsubstance

I have a Sky Analogue Satellite Dish, which is still installed even after the shutdown and conversion to Sky Digital. I want to know if there are any internet set-top-boxes that I can connect to a wireless router, in order to receive Sky channels on my TV. If this is not possible or otherwise, are there any PCI TV cards I can install on a computer that can recieve Sky channels via the internet?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
No - Sky dont stream their channels. They do stream some programmes, but you need to be a subscriber to take advantage of many of them!

D

digitalsubstance

What is the cheapest way of getting Digital Satellite Television so I can watch Sky on a TV then? Is it best to go officially with Sky, or are there other set-top-boxes and Satellites that I can get which are cheaper? I don't understand these things called CAMs and decoders....

What is Astra for example?

I just need some basic information about all these different satellites and stuff, because it's really confusing.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If your old dish hasnt been moved its pointing at the Astra 1 cluster of sats, located at 19E. Sky Digital is broadcast off the Astra 2 cluster of sats located at 28E.

If you want to watch Sky pay services then you have to subscribe - theres no way to open Sky UK's encryption.

D

digitalsubstance

But I don't understand all these different Satellite set-top-boxes like DreamBox. What channels do they offer?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Some boxes (especially the linux boxes like the dreambox) allow illegal access to certain pay tv services with keys - For example Premiere Germany is one of the ones that can be opened at the moment. The list changes from month to month and services come & go. Premiere will be going secure in the near future with an encryption change.

The Sky UK package cannot be opened in this way..

D

digitalsubstance

If I wanted to watch Sky Sports or Setanta Sports, I would have to subscribe to their services officially?

I don't understand why so many people here get these small not well-known set-top-boxes like DreamBox etc, if they can't watch any of the main sports channels etc. Why do they get them then if they can't watch any of the main channels?

D

digitalsubstance

Also, why do you have so many different satelites, and isn't it illegal to recieve Sky channels and other UK channels abroad like i'm reading about on this board? How do they do that? Do you still need to buy an official subscription?

Edit: Can't I just buy a dish that points to Astra or whatever, and then get a set-top-box to recieve the channels? Isn't that how people who live abroad recieve Sky channels?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Numerous different sat are needed because there simply isnt enough frequencies available at one slot for the number of channels wanting to broadcast. Every satellite slot uses the same frequency band (10770 - 12750 MHz) Roughly speaking this allows about 1500 standard definition channels to broadcastof any particular orbital slot.

Technically speaking you are breaking your contract with sky if you use a subscription card outside the UK.

It is possible to get what are known as card shares to watch Sky channels with somew receivers, BUT this is totally illegal, and you have to either purchase a subscription to a commercial sharer or bring an alternative subscription to an existing ring of friends.

To be honest you are better off buying the SKy subscription in the first place!