I'm having a nightmare....please help!

Reaction score
I'm trying to set up a dish on a polar mount for a motorised system using a superjack actuator and I'm finding great difficulty in understanding the various angles with which to establish correct elevation to point the dish on the arc to begin with.

My latitude according to Dishpointer is 53.774 degrees.
The declination angle is therefore 7.6 degrees.
The Reflector offset angle is 22.3 degrees.

I've got the dish pointing south and at it's zenith but here's the rub.
According to the information sheets that came with the mount I add the reflector offset angle to the declination angle and this becomes a total of 29.9 degrees.

There is an 'hour angle' pivot plate which should be set at an angle 29.9 degrees lesser than the reflector support tube which is parallel with the reflector face (I created this angle by unscrewing a nut on the declination adjustment rod and on doing so cross-threaded it, so I sure hope I don't have to touch that thing again!)

The info sheets then mention placing the inclinometer back on the hour angle pivot plate and setting it to the latitude angle which I assume is 53.774 degrees.

If I do this the elevation angle of the relector measured at the bottom rib is roughly 46 degrees which I presume is not correct.:-doh2

If anyone could get me back on track I sure would appreciate it.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I think people will need some photographs as it is very difficult to understand from your post what the problem is. I would also recommend a read of the set up guides if you have not already done so. As you are using a polar mount your set up will be similar to mine but I am not sure if the picture will help or hinder, your dish should be almost vertical though when looked at from the side.

Attachments

• DCP_0630.JPG
    DCP_0630.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 58
Reaction score
As suggested, here is a photo of my polar mount. It clearly shows the reflector support tube and towards the top of it is the declination adjustment rod.

The rod at the right hand end of it as you look at the picture is attached to the hour angle pivot plate and as mentioned I have set this angle at 29.9 degrees.

The hour angle pivot plate according to the inclinometer is 53.774 degrees, leaving the elevation of the dish at the bottom rib showing 46 degrees.

I wonder if you are as confused as I am at this time!!!! lol

Attachments

• 24-08-08_2022.jpg
    24-08-08_2022.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 73

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
frizzle1002000 said:
The hour angle pivot plate according to the inclinometer is 53.774 degrees, leaving the elevation of the dish at the bottom rib showing 46 degrees.

I have never personally used that mount however it does not look that far off at all to my eyes anyhow I am struggling to understand where this 46 deg angle is you mention can you draw it on the picture where the bottom rib is that you mean?

Reaction score
If you look closely at the back of the dish at the bottom you will see one of the ribs showing. The fibreglass ribs are spread out all over the dish to strengthen it but there is one particular rib which you can't see in the picture at the very bottom which is slightly different to the others as it has a specific angle which you place the inclinometer against to find out the elevation of the reflector.

I have attached the information sheets from Prodelin who manufacture the mount and dish. It may be best to ignore my scribblings and see what you make of it.

Attachments

• polar mount 1.jpg
    polar mount 1.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 35
  • polar mount 2.jpg
    polar mount 2.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 26
  • polar mount 3.jpg
    polar mount 3.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 37

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Sorry for the delay I have been trying to sort out my printer...Well this is very difficult to understand with just 3 sheets because the posted sheets refer to things in other sheets not posted. There are others on the site who use prodelin equipments and hopefully they may before I can get my head around this unusual assembly

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
Try tapping the inclinometer....

I'd just set that up at 53.8... and go hunt for 1w, with the actuator set at 1w and your box set at your lat/ long offsets and move only the dish angle and rotation on the main pole until you hit the exact middle of 1w.. tighten up and you should be on the arc bar a final tweaking...

S

satsid

Hi frizzle i see from the pic thats a channel master.First get the dish set up on the pole.Then use a compass,with the compass point it so the needel is facing w on the compass.That is where 1 west sits.Once youv done this first bit move the dish up or down & your meter should bleep.Let me know once this is done.

S

satsid

Topper said:
I have never personally used that mount however it does not look that far off at all to my eyes anyhow I am struggling to understand where this 46 deg angle is you mention can you draw it on the picture where the bottom rib is that you mean?

Yes that mount looks home made lol.Its does not look like a channel master mount.From that i dont see a bar what the jack would go on to.That seems a odd mount as to what iv used before.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
satsid said:
Hi frizzle i see from the pic thats a channel master.First get the dish set up on the pole.Then use a compass,with the compass point it so the needel is facing w on the compass.That is where 1 west sits.Once youv dont this fist bit move the dish up or down & your meter should bleep.Let me know once this is done.

Will work even better if you use S not W! :D

This is assuming frizz is in the central / eastern UK -1W wont work terribly well if hes in Cornwall of course.

S

satsid

Analoguesat said:
Will work even better if you use S not W! :D

This is assuming frizz is in the central / eastern UK -1W wont work terribly well if hes in Cornwall of course.

oops just a print error s was ment ie south facing wall:-rofl2:-rofl2

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
shouldn't the polar mount be set to about 36.23 as 53.774 seems a bit high ?