I'm thinking of upgrading, what to buy?

dazpearce

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sat recieve vu+ duo, computer hp g6 laptop
My Location
england
hi all,

im not satellite savvy so you will have to keep it simple im afraid. i currently have a blade bm7000s sat receiver, i like it but hate being stuck with only being able to watch a program on the same 'transponder/tuner?' as the program i am recording. i would like to be able to record a program and watch whatever i like during that recording.

because of that im considering upgrading, and i was hoping to get an experts opinion of whats the best receiver out there atm. it needs to be cccam capable, also i enjoy being able to edit channels and channel lists. i have a budget of £200-250 preferably the former but if there is a unit out there that is much better for a little more then defo the latter.

any advice?

thanks

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Have a look at the Vu+ Duo, but be aware that its an Enigma 2 receiver (no idea if the Blade is E1 or E2).

E2 is one of those things you love or hate - most folk like it - I absolutely detest it!

dazpearce

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
england
whats enigma 2?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The later operating system. Older dreamboxes like my beloved if a bit flaky 7020 use E1.

dazpearce

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
england
thanks, the Vu+ Duo looks great, it will def do cccam? i cant see it listed anywhere.
cheers

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Course it does - its a pukka linux box. I got my Duo from one of the forum advertisers - fast service from them.

dazpearce

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
england
thanks for your advice

cheers
daz

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
No prob - theres a thread of mine in the Vu+ section somewhere detailing my experiences with the Duo. Dont get me wrong - its a very capable receiver, I just find the operating system infuriating after the 7020.

Most folk love it - but then Ive always been an awkward old sod :D

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
You could get a vu+ UNO and fit a dual tuner card into the receiver, the dual tuner cards are meant to be out September.

The newer vu+ UNO, ultimo have interchangeable tuner cards in them.

dazpearce

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
england
hi,well ive purchase one and trying to set it up, my blade was pre set up so im not sure what im ddoing.
im following a guide on another forum, ive put on the latest image, (blackhole 1.7.5), d.loaded the control centre and have checked the network which gives me 4 green ticks. despite this im getting constant error msg coming up, socket error#10053 software caused connection abort

ive got as far as installing cam, the instruction say to transfer the tgz file to tmp folder. if i unpack the file there are no tgz files, just cfg files in folders called usr and etc. in the usr folder is a bin and uninstall folder which also contain files but none of the say .tgz at the end.ive tried putting all the files in the tmp directory but they keep disapearing again when i manually transfer them via network settings or via filezilla.
ive set tuner to astra 28e, which my blade was aiming at but auto scanning doesnt find anything at all

can you help?

thanks

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
Oof, sounds like you have been having a hard time of it. I have had to learn on the job setting up my VU+ Solo that I got a few months ago. I used vix 2.4 to set up mine, I gave Black hole a shot but found it very unstable for every day use.

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Blackhole is about as close to the original manufacturers software as you can get and is extremely stable, The latest version is 1.7.7 and now includes hbbtv support something which the Vix image is lacking.

Just for reference you dont unpack the tar.gz just copy to the /tmp folder and then manually install with the .ipk installer and reboot the machine

A nonymous

Reaction score
Have to agree with Digi247 on that one. I always found Blackhole more stable than VIX on my old Vu+ Duo, but at the end of the day what firmware you use is entirely upto the user.

Why not give SIF Koala E2 a go. Runs really well on my Gigablue.

Nano