Indecision, Indecision

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
I'd really welcome some advice from linux box users.

I've spent a lot of time reading up on linux receivers and what they can do, but must confess to still being a bit confused. Dreambox seems to be the gold standard, but it's out of my price range and I've been looking closely at the Openbox S10 and the Eagle Box. My wife, having run out of Christmas present ideas for me, has offered to buy me an STB and the two above are well within the price she'd be willing to pay. Having read some alarming stories about cloned boxes, I wonder whether the Openbox and Eagle box would be safe options. Also, I have fallen in love with Ubuntu and would enjoy tinkering with the stb's linux programming? Could I do this on Openbox and Eagle Box? Or is there a better option?

:confused

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Yeah that sounds like a good deal, plus you will probably get a lifetime 25 hour support from the meanest chicken of the sat world :)
HD and Linux, you will have fun playing with that.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
T_G said:
Yeah that sounds like a good deal, plus you will probably get a lifetime 25 hour support from the meanest chicken of the sat world :)
HD and Linux, you will have fun playing with that.

Do you think I could negotiate 26 hours support? I'll need it. I've already PM'd Nanochickin with my first questions. My wife will like the HD on our Sony Bravia, but may object to my spending even more time on my Linux fetish.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Yeah 26 hour is possible, all you do is get up two ours earlier than usual and...

Regarding the wife issue: Well, it is up to you how much you spend on it, I solved the problem by having a complete separate sky digibox system for my wife, so I can play with the box whenever I like. So if I broke it it is not a big thing. Put your foot down! :)

A nonymous

Reaction score
26 Hours support, i'm good but not that good :D

I really don't want to sell it in all honesty, but the kids come first at Christmas and i've got to much sat stuf anyway.

I'll help as much as i can. There isn't a lot i don't know about these boxes, although as i have said before its a steep learnig curve and even now after 5 years i'm still finding out stuff i didn't know :confused

Don't expect these types of boxes to run 100% smooth as they don't. You can get them to crash and misbehave without even realising it.

There is a newer version of Blackhole out, i just find mine runs better with the previous release, thats just the way it goes with these types of boxes.

Nano

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
Learning's the best bit and I wouldn't know what to do if my Linux OS always behaved itself. But at least with Ubuntu its possible to sort out the problems, unlike with some other well-known os's.

Kids do come first at Christmas, so I sympathise. The youngest of my 4 is 27 and they're all still expensive hobbies. And now we have grandchildren................