Installed a roof top wi-fi antenna

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digibox also technomate tm 1000 ci
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
norwich "up the city" down the ipswich
i have not got a router can u buy just the pc card and find other networks or would i need a wireless network of my own.

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
str8 frum da wesside innit?
I don't really understand your question, what exactly are you trying to do?

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
get internet 4 free

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
that's a crime.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Handyman, you wouldn't need your own wireless network, just a card that works with the external aerials. But as kamaleon says, using someone's internet/network without permision breaks a few laws.

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
ok many citys now have free wireless network hot spots norwich is now geting one would i be able to use it. with the said equipment .or more to the point my son lives with his mum shes to tight to get broadband .so we cant chat and game online .but his mate has a wireless network live about 200 meters away would this work with his mates permission.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
It should work on the hotspots, but you might have to register for an account, which might have download limits on the amount you can use it.

As for your son, 200m is quite far, it depends on what's in between them, if it's a clear line of sight you might get something, but you would need to check the spec of the aerial.

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
200m within LOS (line of sight)'s nothing. You need the right gear though.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
With the right equipment 2000m is not a challenge, but I doubt handymans sons mate has anything fancier than a standard wireless router, which is why I said 200m isn't a certainty :)

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yes, the router/acces point will be the limiting factor here. Though i would believe that with a high gain directional antenna within LOS on the other end, 200m can be achieved ;)

rparkera

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metronic motor, Zone 2 dish and Touchbox3 receiver; DM500S; motorised SS2; Maplin satellite suitcase for travels
My Location
S W Wales
You guys will know the Pringle can trick then (if not just google for Pringle can wifi). You can also use a USB plug in wifi antenna. Put it at the focal point of a wire mesh noodle strainer as cheap effect parabolic reflector
(I kid you not!)

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
many thanks lads

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yes, poor man's wifi :D works with satellite dishes too.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
rparkera said:
You guys will know the Pringle can trick then (if not just google for Pringle can wifi). You can also use a USB plug in wifi antenna. Put it at the focal point of a wire mesh noodle strainer as cheap effect parabolic reflector
(I kid you not!)

"Cantenna" throws up some good results too... :D

rparkera

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metronic motor, Zone 2 dish and Touchbox3 receiver; DM500S; motorised SS2; Maplin satellite suitcase for travels
My Location
S W Wales
Interesting - I sense a most bizarre homebrew satellite dish competition coming on ... anybody? Piccies please!

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Usually log on to wi fi broadband signals here in Dublin every day on my XDA in the car. The amount of unsecured networks is unbelievable, not that im complaining. Will think about a wi fi aerial just to check out the area i live in.

rparkera

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
S W Wales
Wow - great stuff; the Pringle can approach would give a bigger reception volume. Should get a really crisp picture :-) :-)

R

Rd100

I am going to make a wi-fi antenna, and see how good it works, I will have to get some Pringle in the xmas shopping next week,

R

Rd100

2000m would be easy to do but both the router & receiveing card would need outdoor antenna's with the right grade cable and high gain antennas

PoloMint said:
With the right equipment 2000m is not a challenge, but I doubt handymans sons mate has anything fancier than a standard wireless router, which is why I said 200m isn't a certainty :)