Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Found this one today - Q4OS, not one Ive come across before.

Q4OS - desktop operating system

Its only a small distro - the isos are only 200-300 ish mb depending on which one you want to have a look at, and it looks very much like winxp.

Im just loading it up into a win7 virtual machine to have a play with it - and its clever enough to recognise its inside a vm - its gave me a pop up saying "Im running in a virtual machine!"
:D

Anyway this may be a suitable alternative for beginners to have a play with - its lightweight enough on resources that you can try any old scaffy computer or laptop you have lying around. Just make sure that the hdd doesnt have anyrthing important on it as there doesnt seem to be a live image option - just install.

Image1.jpg

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Looks promising, will try it on my spare reclaimed ( from crashed lappy ) win7 HDD tomorrow:)

Regards

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
My poor old computer is struggling with win7 & q4os inside a vm - its slow going as though its low on ram (which it almost certainly is as this old Dell only has 4GB fitted.)

I shall investigate further over the weekend by slinging an old drive into it & installing onto that.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Looks promising, will try it on my spare reclaimed ( from crashed lappy ) win7 HDD tomorrow:)

Regards

Have you played with iso's before? If not let me know & I'll give you some tips.

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Have you played with iso's before? If not let me know & I'll give you some tips.

Yup

Loaded linux mint iso onto said HDD then reverted to win7 iso on same.

But if I get probs will call for help spot on1.png

Regards

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Oh and make sure you try the Open GL Euphoria screen svaer - its gorgeous in a 1970s hippy way :D

battenfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m pf
My Location
60N 18E
I'm waiting for Wayland to replace X windows, maybe that will cure your dual screen problems. Or make them worse.
Looks like Fedora might be the first to include it. Wayland (display server protocol) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm about to explore the music recording world of Linux starting with KXStudio. That kind of software requires low-latency kernels, preferably real-time kernels. Unfortunately graphics drivers doesn't seem to like rt-kernels. Maybe Liquorix Kernel will work? I know there's a low-latency compiling option in the standard kernel, I wonder if they have done something else to it, like special patches. One thing I dislike with Fedora is that it wants to overwrite the kernel with their one-for-all at update so it's hard to keep it customized.

AV Linux is another (not really a distribution).

The Linux audio people seem to dislike Pulseaudio or at least prefer ALSA. It's only recently Pulseaudio has been made to get by but it's still bloated.
As I'm also interested in GNURadio, I looked at them for clues but I haven't found that camp complaining about Pulseaudio, maybe I've missed it.

battenfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m pf
My Location
60N 18E
Speaking of the devil, just got this link to an +hour long speech on determinism vs speed of kernels.

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Loaded the Q4OS iso onto the spare HDD mounted in a HP lappy, took ages to load and the peripheral program options ( software downloads ) were even slower to load.
Found this OS cumbersome to use so reloaded the win7 iso.

Have now decided to load win10 ( free upgrade ) onto this HDD, still waiting for it to complete installation( 5 hours later ) and still checking for updates:-ohcrap

Bed time now will try again tomorrow to load win10, if not happy can always revert to win7:D

Regards

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
I solely use Linux at home, so any question I can help with, gimme a shout.